What's new

Starting out: What sort of Merkur?

So I'm taking the plunge into this crazy world of quality shaving, and I'd like to get a Merkur. Which should I get?

I'm mostly trying to choose between a Classic Longhandle, Progress, or Slant Bar. If I have sensitive skin, and am fine with the learning period this will take to transition from mauling my face with a Mach3, which should I get and why?

Also, is classicshaving.com the way to go?

Sirion, welcome to Badger and Blade. If you poke around in the forums, you will see lots of info on razors here. My first DE was a Progress, and I am very happy with it. It gives you a bit of flexibility with blade exposure that the fixed-head razors don't have. I might suggest you avoid the slant bar for the time being, since that is a razor that can abuse your face if you are not ultra-careful and aren't familiar with DE shaving. If you don't want to mess about with an adjustable, many a gent has started out with the classic version.

Classic shaving is fine, but you should check out QED.com as well. Charles is a very helpful fellow, and carries the razors you are interested in.

Also, don't neglect the preparation part - a good lather is key to getting a comfortable, close shave. Feel free to chime in with more questions!

Howdy sirion, and welcome aboard!

If you have some free time, Joel has a "DE Buyer's Guide" in the Pictorials & Videos forum. It's a quick read, and might help give you some ideas.

DE-wise I only have a HD and Vision, so I can't too specifically address the razors you've specified. I will say my HD was a great learning razor.

As for classic shaving, I'd say it's A way to go, but definitely not the only one. A great online store is QED http://qedusa.com and the owner is very customer service oriented.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more responses, and probably a few words of warning, as this can become an addictive (and expensive) activity. :wink:

-Nick

You guys are fast! After reading a hefty number of the posts here, I'm leaning towards a Progress razor.

From some other posts elsewhere, I'm also leaning towards a travel badger brush from Saville Row (I was kinda sold on the idea that I can basically get enough lather for 2-3 passes with a travel-size brush, and also get the control to not cover my mouth and nose with lather)

I was leaning towards Merkur Super-Platinum DE blades, mostly because that's what they seem to sell at QED, and it sounds sort of like feather blades might be a bit more aggressive than I might want to start out with.

Greetings sirion,
Here are two pics of some of the more popular Merkur DE razors. As I have no idea of how big your shaving hand is or the topography of your face, I really can not suggest which razor to get. I can provide you with some cautions though.
  • Many will insist that if you are new to DE shaving you should not get an adjustable.
  • Many will insist that the Merkur HD is the "perfect" razor for new DE shavers.
  • Many folks are relying on their own personal experience without thinking about what makes sense for your beard, stature, and facial topography.
As you can see in the pictures the handle lengths really do vary considerably. Hopefully, with the exception of the slant bar, you will consider the height and breadth of the razors' shaving head. One thing I will say is that I do NOT recommend starting out with a slant bar. It provides a great deal of blade exposure and the twisted head leads the point as you take a stroke with the razor. This approach can result in some nasty cuts when a tyro hand draws the razor across the cheeks, neck, chin, or moustache. Hate to sound too awfully negative, but these are some points to ponder. On an informational side note, the slant bar handle is about the same size as the "HD" handle. Talk to Charles at QED. That's probably the best advice I can provide. Good luck and good shaving!

Sirion,
Ditto on what everyone else has said. The only thing that I'd like to add is that my first and only DE has been the Futur. At a low setting, it allowed me to perfect my technique, and as I started getting better I was able to slowly open the razor. Now, I've gone from the Merkur Platinum blades to the Feather Platinum blades, and once again the Futur allowed me to increase and decrease the aggressiveness of the razor as I needed. Now, I've never used any other type of razor, but I must say that the Futur was an excellent buy for me. Still, if you prep your beard properly, you should receive excellent shaves from any of the Merkurs....just be sure to stay away from the slant bar until you have a chance to hone your technique.

Sirion:
You've already gotten great advice here. I have both the Progress and the classic long-handle Merkurs. I love both of them and they're two of my favorite razors. If I had to give one up, I honestly don't know which it would be. The beauty of this hobby/obsession is the variety. Follow the advice of the others here, try the one that appeals to you the most, then go ahead and buy the others as well!!:w00t:

Jerry

R

rainman

I'd go with a long handled modified progress. Just jump in head first. Bullgoose has them priced well. Not sure about classic shaving.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've very much enjoyed my 38C which is a HD head with a long handle. Just looked right to me . . . and so far a year or so later I've not found a reason to change.

So I'm taking the plunge into this crazy world of quality shaving, and I'd like to get a Merkur. Which should I get?

I'm mostly trying to choose between a Classic Longhandle, Progress, or Slant Bar. If I have sensitive skin, and am fine with the learning period this will take to transition from mauling my face with a Mach3, which should I get and why?

Also, is classicshaving.com the way to go?

Classicshaving.com is a great site as is West Coast Shaving. Truefitt & Hill have the progress for $55 plus a 20% off discount code. Pretty good deal (same for the Merkur futur.)

I just gave up my Mach 3 and i am used to the much longer handle. So i actually prefer my vision and Lady Gillette (yes don't laugh) However i just used my Progress today and got a nice shave with it.

There are so many options once you get into it you are sure to buy more.

My first was the 38C. I tried a number of others, Red tip, Silver Tip, Fat Boy, Slim, and finally found my favourite with the Slant, but as mentioned I wouldn't recommend starting with the Slant. The other suggestions are good too but I just wanted to say for me the 38C was great to start with.

I was leaning towards Merkur Super-Platinum DE blades, mostly because that's what they seem to sell at QED, and it sounds sort of like feather blades might be a bit more aggressive than I might want to start out with.

Get a blade sampler pack, the Merkur blades are some of the least liked on these boards overall. Having tried them I would agree: they were 100% garbage. There are far superior blades available, for far less money.

Blades sampler packs are available from here:

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/blsapa.html

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

No matter what you get, your first DE shave is likely to be butcher fest. And whatever you get, you will likely perfect your technique by using it, so you can't really go wrong so long as you are ready for any punishment your hand dishes out. I say go with a fixed head like a Classic or HD and get good technique, but that's just me.

It's sort of like learning to drive on an automatic Honda Civic or a manual tranny panel truck. Either way you'll learn well, but the experiences may be totally different.

Cheers and enjoy.

Welcome to B&B I have the HD and love it! I have the slant that I likewise enjoy, for me there was a learning curve for it that you might want to avoid at first if you are brand new to DE shaving. Have fun!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom