What's new

Starting new adventure: Indian Gillette Wilkinson Swords

I have a few hundred Chinese Wilkie's for the India market, one of my favorite blades. The India market now has the Indian made Wilkies in the saloon pack made in the Himachal Pradesh plant, we don't get those Chinese made blades anymore.

Reading feedback on these new ones, I picked up 200 Indian made wilkies in 4 Saloon pack boxes and decided to revisit those blades.

I put a new Indian Wilkinson sword in my Pearl flexi V2 adjustable razor on setting 3.

Lathered up Cella and had a go at it.

The first stoke itself felt harsh and "hot". No pulling or tugging though. Is it a sharp blade ?

I took the Pearl flexi v2 to setting 2 and used the inituitve shallower angle. The flexi v2 cap has a noticeable curved dome shape.

The rest of the shave was uneventful, however the blade felt a bit smooth at setting 2. It was cutting the stubble but it was clearly middle of the line sharp and not as smooth as its Chinese cousin.

Three passes gave a good bbs shave and Alum gave noticeable feedback on my neck !:(

I'll test drive this combo to see how many shaves this blade will give and then pop in a Chinese made wilkie to see how it feels in this razor.

I'll also test drive this blade in the EJ89, RR gamechanger 68, PAA doc Ascension and other razors which give me smooth shaves to see how this blade suits my face. 199 blades to go !

Gents, I have to admit I'm confused.
Is there any significant difference wrt the blades shown in the picture (despite the packaging and the no. of blades contained in the tuck)?

Both blades are Gillette Wilkinson Sword made in India...

View attachment 1216556

( @geneaut )
I do not know. I do notice there's about 3 years difference on the production dates. I wonder if they've just updated the packaging but I have no real idea and it's just a guess.

Got 110 of these blades for Christmas. They're the only blade I've used so far this year and will probably be my go to blade for some time

Gents, I have to admit I'm confused.
Is there any significant difference wrt the blades shown in the picture (despite the packaging and the no. of blades contained in the tuck)?

Both blades are Gillette Wilkinson Sword made in India...

View attachment 1216556

( @geneaut )

There is no difference in the blade quality or manufacturing process between both packs.
Both the blades packs are manufactured at same plant in Himachal Pradesh, India.

The differences are cosmetic :

1) Package design change/ update
2) Number of blades in a tuck 10/ 5

I had shave # 4 with the Indian Wilkinson sword blade and since shave 3 it has noticeably become smooth and yet very sharp. I however notice that it bites randomly in my Pearl Flexi V2 razor on setting 2 through 3. No nicks or cuts or Weepers.

This blade will last a shave more or two, or so I think.

I will also try this blade in the Karve / Radorock gamechanger and Rockwell 6S as I know those razors to clamp down the blade right and leave no room to wiggle.

I just tried a chinese wilkinson. I was pleasantly surprised. It is sharp and smooth-ish. Not as smooth as the more expensive blades but still comfortable. Maybe 8 out of 10 for sharpness and 6 out of 10 for smoothness. A good blade for the money!

I just tried a chinese wilkinson. I was pleasantly surprised. It is sharp and smooth-ish. Not as smooth as the more expensive blades but still comfortable. Maybe 8 out of 10 for sharpness and 6 out of 10 for smoothness. A good blade for the money!
I like the Chinese Wilkinson’s. If I don’t push them very hard they deliver easy and smooth shaves.

How do the Indian Wilkinson blades compare to the German Wilkinson blades?
I'd say they are pretty similar in terms of sharpness but totally different in terms of smoothness. The German Wilkinson blades are one of the smoothest out there. Definitely smoother than the Personna Lab Blue. Sharpness is pretty similar to the Lab Blue. As for longevity, the German blades hold their edge a lot longer. I get 4 shaves from the Indian Wilkinson, but the German ones gives me 8.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom