What's new

Starting new adventure: Indian Gillette Wilkinson Swords

I’ve been using the Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades for a little over a year, and I found them to be adequate blades at a good price point.

Recently I noticed a good deal on their Indian cousins on Amazon and decided to try them out.

They arrived today and I took a few pictures. I may give them a sping tomorrow.
30181176-6C45-41A1-826D-9F343F8F5DFD.jpeg
30181176-6C45-41A1-826D-9F343F8F5DFD.jpeg
image_50384897.JPG

The Indian variety is pretty good. I use them as part of my rotation. Cheap and easily available.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

First use opinion : Nice blade that is smoother rather than sharper

Truth be told this was not a fair test for a number of reasons. First, I haven't shaved in probably a week. I literally have lost track of that. Secondly, I didn't really prep, and didn't even shower as usual before shaving. Third, for plumbing reasons involving my inability to fix a simple issue in my bathroom sink I shaved at the kitchen sink.

This should have been a blood bath. A nightmare. A disaster.

What it was was a darn good shave. Granted, I didn't push this blade hard at all even though I did my full shave routine minus most of the buffing that I normally do to get that full-face smoothness I like. With no real mirror I just didn't want to push some of the buffing/cleaning passes. I ended up with a DFS. I did have to do two WTG passes to get the almost beard length whiskers off my face before doing my ATG/XTG passes.

For me, in my SLOC this was a very even blade. No tugging or skipping even through a thick collection of multi-day growth. It's not as sharp feeling as I remember it's Chinese cousin but I was impressed with its lack of conflict with a difficult chore tonight. I think a sharper blade may have helped with the initial hair removal, but I'm rarely going to be attacking that length of facial growth routinely, and I feel it's unfair to this blade to judge it on that.

I am looking forward to a more typical shave with it tomorrow to get a true feel for it. I am very impressed with it though. I have some other blades in my collection I wouldn't have tried at all in these conditions.

IMG_3040.jpg

Congratulations!! That’s what most of us want, especially under sub-optimal circumstances!! :a5:
Agreed. To give me a comfortable and effective shave with those conditions weighing it down told me a lot about that blade.

Shave #2

Still in the kitchen but at least today is a more typical shave. I did have one epiphany ( see photo )

IMG_3043.jpg

A Kuerig makes really hot water for your brush bowl :)

Shave 2 was simply fantastic. Very smooth and very efficient. I'm still not considering this in the category of 'sharper' blades but it is by no means dull. Note to readers - really sharp blades and I have a love/hate relationship - I love the efficient shaves but the face feel is sometimes a minor quibble with me. No issues ATG or XTG. No nicks, and just a minimum of AS sting after the shave but in fairness it was Tabac and Tabac always gives me a little tingle on things other AS seems to ignore.

I'm liking this blade quite a bit. Especially at its price point.

** I also dug the very very hot lather the Kuerig water helped me make.

Shave #2

Still in the kitchen but at least today is a more typical shave. I did have one epiphany ( see photo )

View attachment 1211935

A Kuerig makes really hot water for your brush bowl :)

Shave 2 was simply fantastic. Very smooth and very efficient. I'm still not considering this in the category of 'sharper' blades but it is by no means dull. Note to readers - really sharp blades and I have a love/hate relationship - I love the efficient shaves but the face feel is sometimes a minor quibble with me. No issues ATG or XTG. No nicks, and just a minimum of AS sting after the shave but in fairness it was Tabac and Tabac always gives me a little tingle on things other AS seems to ignore.

I'm liking this blade quite a bit. Especially at its price point.

** I also dug the very very hot lather the Kuerig water helped me make.
Does very hot water damage the brush?

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

I am using these blades after snapping them in half in my Parker SRB and SRX shavettes. It's very smooth and gives me comfortable BBS without any irritation every time. Plus they are so cheap that I use the half blade just once and toss it. If it's really sharp after a shave then I use it twice, no more than that.
Really good blades I must say !!

I find that the Indian Wikis are actually sharper and smoother on the third shave than on the first, which makes them an easy top 5 blade for me. If you're tossing them after the first shave, you're missing out imo.

I used a couple blades from the saloon pack tuck I got to try and I really enjoyed the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. I found them both sharp and smooth, had wonderful shaves with them. The only issue I had with them that I have only gotten with one other blade, Treet Platinum, was after each shave, the following day I would have a dozen plus zits on my face and neck. If I didn’t get that, these would be in my top 5 blades and I’d buy a bulk pack.

I used a couple blades from the saloon pack tuck I got to try and I really enjoyed the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. I found them both sharp and smooth, had wonderful shaves with them. The only issue I had with them that I have only gotten with one other blade, Treet Platinum, was after each shave, the following day I would have a dozen plus zits on my face and neck. If I didn’t get that, these would be in my top 5 blades and I’d buy a bulk pack.
This is such a strange hobby. I hate they react with your face that way.

Gents, I have to admit I'm confused.
Is there any significant difference wrt the blades shown in the picture (despite the packaging and the no. of blades contained in the tuck)?

Both blades are Gillette Wilkinson Sword made in India...

20210201_155052.jpg

( @geneaut )

Top Bottom