What's new

Starting my own blade sampling exercise....

Just got in an order from razorbladeclub.com thanks to someone on here who mentioned doing business with them (I've forgotten who to thank.)
I wanted to try a wide variety and attempt to judge them on A) sharpness B) smoothness and C) longevity with all three weighted equally.
I will shave with each in my 1963 Slim Adjustable (setting 6) and then the next shave with the same blade in my Rockwell 6S (plate 5).
Disclaimer: I currently use and really like PolSilver and Personna Lab Blues. Why am I doing this, then? Well, the Holy Grail may be out there, and besides, it's fun!

Here are the ones I'm giving a shot:
Bolzano
Bic Chrome Platinum
Baili Super Blue
Bic Astor Stainless
Big Ben Super Stainless
Cloud Blue
Cloud Super Stainless
Concord
Croma Diamant
Derby Premium
GIllette 365
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Gillette 7 o'clock SuperPlatinum
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless
Gillette Rubie
Kai
Personna QBall
Personna Israeli Reds
Personna Med Preps
Personna Crystal
Perma Sharp

I've used Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Feather, and many other of the big names left off this list.

Let the games begin!

I've recently gotten an order from RBC as well. Over the years, I have narrowed by shaving hardware down to two DE razors (numerous straights are a different story, lol), and a slect few brushes. I have also been cutting down on the different number of soaps and creams. But DE blades, that's where I like variety. I think I got 19 different brands. I try one in my Barbasol FH, and then after a few days, the same brand in my Clix razor.

It'll be interesting to hear of your testing. At some point I'll get around to longevity testing, but I haven't noticed a great difference between brands myself, for the most part.

How are you testing - the usual one side of the face vs other side shootout pairs? This is what Dragonbeard and others are doing for razors. Maybe you want to add a kind of "seeds" format where the expected top performers get matched with a lesser blade so you don't eliminate the favourites early on. You might want to study some of those shootouts to look at how the shave is done.

How are you testing - the usual one side of the face vs other side shootout pairs? This is what Dragonbeard and others are doing for razors. Maybe you want to add a kind of "seeds" format where the expected top performers get matched with a lesser blade so you don't eliminate the favourites early on. You might want to study some of those shootouts to look at how the shave is done.

@les24preludes , I'm going to attempt to give them all the same conditions: same time of day, 30 seconds with hot towel, Maggard synthetic, and RazoRock The Dead Sea....
The entire shave will be with one and then rate the blade from 1-10 on the basis of the three categories I described above....this will take a while, I know and to be fair, as I know some blades perform quite a bit better for me in different razors, I will try each in the Slim Adjustable and the Rockwell 6S.

I recently added some blades from razorblade.com: GSB, Timor, Voshkod, Treet Durasharp, Polsilver Super Iridium, Treet Platinum, and Dorco Plat st300. So far, none of these blades have given me as smooth and close a shave as my go to blades: Personna Labs or Medical Preps. I will be interested in seeing your observations.

@ackvil I refer to the Personna Lab Blues as my "swiss army knife" because of the versatility. Those blades work VERY well for me in every type razor I have from my 34C to the other razors I mentioned above.

Should be interesting and fun, @CelticShaver!! Looking forward to your reviews!! Good choice of razors for this, too. I've heard that some blades perform better in either a vintage or a modern razor. It'll be interesting how the blades compare in each of your razors.

Top Bottom