What's new

starting diy

Was wanting to get some input on some diy products I plan on making. I have a few very simple recipes in mind for beard oil, pre shave oil and after shave.
Beard oil:
3 parts Jojoba oil
1 part Argan oil
Lavender, sweet orange, lemongrass for essential oils. I tried this combination of scents on a paper towel to test the smell. It was a pleasant smell but it seemed reminiscent of pinesol.
Pre shave oil:
2 parts castor oil
1 part extra virgin olive oil
Peppermint and tea tree for essentials
Have not tested this scent
Aftershave:
Half Witch Hazel
Half aloe vera juice
Not sure about essential oils or possibly adding another emollient such as mineral oil
Thank in advance B&B community!

I haven't researched beard oils quite enough to evaluate the mix, but I would say for scent if it's reminiscent of pinesol on the initial test, you may want to keep testing scents before mixing up a big batch.

My initial thought was to leave out the lemongrass and try that. I only have 6 essentials to work with at the moment so I don't have many options. I don't have alot of the most common carriers or essentials that seem to be in most recipes I am finding online

The base oils will have some scent as well, I'd imagine. May have to start by mixing a very small batch of the base beard oil, then see what it smells like, and try to find an oil/combo of oils that goes with that out of what you have.

There's an actual aroma science to mixing essential oils for good scents.

Check out http://www.aromaweb.com/. They have some really good tips on mixing bass, middle, and high notes of essential oils in the right quantities, as well as offering insight into which oils, both carrier and essential, actually work to help accomplish the goals you are trying to accomplish.

You can mix and test if you choose, but that site might help you save a few drops of essential oils...them things are expensive...

Great site Thank you. I'll poke around on that site to see if i can find some of the info I've been looking for. I've found a lot about the notes and categories of the essentials and how to mix and blend them together but have found almost nothing about which carriers mix well with certain essentials or other carriers. I'm starting to get in pretty deep into my wallet with this new little hobby I've started so ide rather not make a nasty batch of oils and have to suffer through using it or worse, having to throw it out

I simply use this:

proxy.php

Cheap: $8 for 8 oz will last you many months of beard lubrication

Smells like Valobra, seems to work great.

"Peanut Oil: an excellent emollient and lubricant. Olive Oil: to nourish the skin. Lanolin Oil: to moisturize and soften. Vitamin E: to maintain skin's vitality"

Top Bottom