What's new

Starting Creams

I got into DE Razors and Wet Shaving almost a year ago. To date I have only used soaps. I just was given a tube of Prorasso Green shaving cream, so I am going to spend some time trying the creams out to see how they are in comparison to soaps for me.

So today was Prorasso Green for my first shaving cream. It had a nice slickness, and ample cushon. It lathered rather quickly and easily, definately much easier than most of the soaps that I typically use. The menthol, I'm not so sure about just yet, it's a nice feel, but an odd feel. I haven't decided how much I like it so far. BBS shave.

Razor: Gillet Flare Tip
Blade: Derby Platinum
Brush: Razorock Monster
Cream: Prorasso Green
OSMA Alum
AS: Prorasso Sensitive Balm
I did a 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG as I normally do. No irritation or burn.

I did lather as I would a soap, a small dallop of cream, whip until it drags, add a little watter, continue working, add a little more water. Nice thick peaks in under 5 minutes. I believe this is the correct way, if there is a better way let me know. I would like to try this cream with my Omega Boar Brush, but will have to wait until I can get to it since my master bathroom is having some work done currently and the brush is packed away for the time being.

Overall great shave, and decent feeling. I will let you all know about the menthol thing in the next few days. Like I said I didn't like or not like it, it's new and I have to give it a few shaves to decide.

So, day two with the Cream. Today's line up:

OSMA Alum
AS: Epsilon Blue mixed with Kiehl's Facial Fuel

I think I kind of like the mentholated cream. It has an invigorating feeling. I got an even better lather built up today, and actually used a little less cream. It still whipped up quite quickly. I enjoyed today's shave, and had a better post shave feel today. Again BBS, with no irritation. I did go over an under the chin spot briefly without re-lathering, no irritation. I don't reccomend making a habit of it, but this cream is slick enough to last a little more than one pass. I'm not sold on completely switching from soaps, but so far, I can see adding a cream or two to the rotation. I'll keep you posted on tomorrow's shave.

I think I will be trying that next. So far the cream isn't bad.

Today's Morning:

OSMA Alum
AS: Pre de Provence No 63

So far the cream is working out just fine. I do like how quickly it lathers, but I don't see a major difference between soap and cream thus far. I like both, but I don't think I will switch and be and exclusive cream user, but I will add it into my rotation.

On annother note, anyone tried the Burt's Bees cream yet?

So I was missing some of my soaps yesterday, and I found a nice Key Lime aftershave splash. I used Mike’s Lime soap. It was a great shave. I’ll get back to the creams on Monday. I also acquired some Burt’s bees cream I intend to try. See you all on Monday.

Brush: N/A
Cream: Burt’s bees
OSMA Alum
AS: Burt’s bees AS Balm

So two new things today. I first tried the Burt’s cream with a brush, that didn’t work out so I did some research, it is a brushless cream. I suppose it would be good if you were in too much of a hurry to whip up a lather, but I didn’t really care for it. Slickness is good, cushion almost non existent. More like a shaving butter than anything. The aftershave balm is very moisturizing, and it’s all natural. At the price point of $6 I can’t knock it too much. It actually does a pretty good job of it’s intended purpose. The scent on the other hand is very musky. I don’t care for the scent at all, but I will say it dissipates rather quickly. I don’t think I will use the cream again, except maybe in a travel bag. The balm we will see about.

Blade: Feather
Brush: Omega Boar
Cream: C. O. Bigellow
OSMA Alum
AS: RR Don Marco

Nice shave this cream is very similar to Proraso green. It does have a nicer post shave feel. I just got a sample of Proraso blue I will try soon. I do like creams, but I don’t think I will stay exclusively with creams, although I think I will have some in my rotation.

I haven’t posted lately. I am sold on using creams, and have added a couple to my rotation along with soaps. I just ordered some gems and will be trying the world of se razors. I’ll keep you all posted.

So I received some SE Razors yesterday, and I was able to use one for the first time today.
Razor: GEM SE
Blade: GEM Blue Star
Brush: RazoRock Monster
Soap: RazoRock Don Marco
OSMA Alum
AS: RR Don Marco

I did get some razor burn, as well as a couple of nicks. There is a learning curve to the SE. It was a very smooth shave at any rate, smoother than normal. I am sure this will make it into my rotation. I will be trying to stick with this razor for about a week to try and get my technique on point before I try the next.

So I got some great instructions on using a GEM SE from @Twelvefret from another thread. It actually helped out quite a bit, no razor burn, and only opened a previous Knick up. Today’s lineup:

Cream: Proraso green
OSMA Alum
AS: Proraso Green Aftershave Lotion

Still have some practice and learning to do, but quite pleased with the results so far.

So I got some great instructions on using a GEM SE from @Twelvefret from another thread. It actually helped out quite a bit, no razor burn, and only opened a previous Knick up. Today’s lineup:

OSMA Alum
AS: Proraso Green Aftershave Lotion

Still have some practice and learning to do, but quite pleased with the results so far.
:a14:Well done. Tomorrow is Micromatic Monday!!!

Today’s line up:

OSMA Alum
AS: Pre de Provence no 63 balm

Bbs shave, no burn nicks or weepers. I’m really enjoying this razor, but I do miss some of my Gillette de razors. I’m going to stick with this for at least a couple more weeks before I change it up though.

Top Bottom