What's new

Starting ATG

Everyone has a different face. I stopped shaving XTG passes years ago because I felt fine doing ATG after WTG, and even occasionally starting ATG. Starting ATG is just a little more chattery and tugs a little but for my face it's not too extremely uncomfortable, though I prefer to get the WTG pass out of the way first just because it makes it more comfortable and WTG is so quick and easy

I think the key is for many it would be very uncomfortable, catch too much, definitely takes some deftness of practice. For some of us, our hair, skin, and experience may allow it. Not most, but some - and that's mostly just randomness of hair and skin, experience I only mention because I couldn't have done it when I started at all regardless of having a forgiving face, I'd have likely caught and sliced

My 'theory' is starting a shave with ATG, is that the skin has not yet softened up at this stage in the shave, with the prolonged contact with the lather, and is therefore more resistant and forgiving to getting nicks and cuts.

I start with the bit that gave me most issues in the past, my neck.

I start at the bottom and go straight up to under my jaw. You would think that it will all be ATG, but it is not. The first inch to inch and a half is actually WTG, the whiskers grow upwards, that's the area that I usually experienced irritation when I went straight down from my jaw.

Works a treat for me, no more irritation.

I cannot go against the grain like using my DE razor. There’s something about the SR that makes this viable

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I decided to start my shave against the grain. It works great. Am I nuts?
Nothing wrong with shaving ATG and it reduces 1 pass XTG basically for my morning routine by using ATG pass. Some folks have different skin types and it gives them issues so why use ATG pass is my take for their reasoning.

Last edited:
I use mostly a shavette recently. It comes naturally to go ATG to certain areas for me, like the left side for example. I don't go ATG everywhere and I don't aim for bbs.

Top Bottom