What's new

starting a handlebar

ok, i am starting a mustache. its only been like 1 and 1/2 weeks. but looking for all the advice i can get. do i need beard oils or anything like that. anything special to wash it.

Just let it grow. It will take patience and dedication ,I've had full handlebars for 7 years now you just have to be all in! If you want handlebars the first six months to a year will drive you crazy because it'll always be in your mouth work hard to train it .To keep it in place bees wax works well . To keep it soft and get that Hypro glow use pure jojoba oil. Just hang in there and you will be rewarded with a satche that you can hang your hat on!

Hello Narativesoul,

I started growing my mustache on December 17th 2013. Unfortunately I was trimming it up until about a month ago. The consensus seems to be at least 6 months up until about a year to finally get it to handlebar mode. Just don't trim it and when it starts getting longer, you can start applying beeswax or mustache wax.

I'm starting to notice some twistable developments and I already feel like I can best any chap in fisticuffs :euro:

Currently 4 months into my own handlebar venture. Patience is a virtue, my friend. I use a homemade beard oil with a jojoba base and some EO's for fragrance. Gives it a nice shine and keeps the hair nourished. Comb often. Don't wash it to frequent unless you have a beard oil to replace the oils you strip from the hair. I have a few waxes I use to keep the stays out of my mouth, which is absolutely necessary when eating at this point. Good luck on your journey!

strop

Now half as wise
Patience is your friend. Do your best to keep the scissors in the drawer. Althouth I've seen handlebars using just the ends, the best handlebars have hair growing all tge way out from the middle.

I started mine about a year ago but didn't know what I was doing and I trimmed it several times. I eventually ended up with a disaster. About seven months ago I whacked the whole thing off and started over, this time not trimming at all. I started waxing when I started getting hair in my mouth. I just used the wax to keep the mustache above the lip, focusing on the very middle first and then spreading to the tips. When I got to the point where I actually had tips my mustache was so well trained I wake up with it all above my lip still. Eventually I had to trim the tips, but only the tips, at an angle so they don't look frayed. The hardest part is the awkward phase, but for me using wax early, before I had tips, made all the difference. Once it's grown in you can just throw some wax at it, give it a quick comb and a twist and out the door in about a minute and a half. I recommend starting with a soft wax; Father's is cheap but perfect for the early stages, and available at Walgreen's. Now I use Firehouse Wacky Tacky and I average about ten compliments a day from total strangers. Oh, I hope you don't mind compliments from total strangers, because you will get them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Avoid trimming, especially the middle! It takes great dedication for best results. Train early and often. Get a good brush or comb, which ever is your preference, I use a comb. It will probably take you longer than you think, but worth the effort!

I'm 4 weeks into my stache so far. I picked up a brush and keep it tucked into my short pocket. My wife still giggles when she sees me pull it out and do a quick comb of my proto-stache :( I'll be picking up some wax in the next couple weeks.

I've my stache since I was 15, but decided to stop trimming it the end of last year. So a little over 9 months now. I keep wax in it all the time. I get comments every where I go, from epic, to unique, to just wow...

Top Bottom