What's new

Starter Set-up for SR Honing?????

Sorry for yet another thread, but I am getting overwhelmed.

I like simple, straight forward processes. After some research I have determined that for me a 12,000 grit stone, lapping stone, strop, chromium oxide is about as simple a starter sit up as I can find. I don't mind a 4000/8000 stone if that's better or a 10,000 is that is better.

My strop is a paddle type with smooth leather on one side and rough out on the other. I intend to use the paste on the rough side.

I am not trying to restore Ebay vintage razors. All I want is something to maintain those I find that are shave ready.

Go for it! Norton 4/8 and Naniwa 12. And pasted strop. There are other choices. I think you will eventually want to get a 1k but you don't have to.

Go for it! Norton 4/8 and Naniwa 12. And pasted strop. There are other choices. I think you will eventually want to get a 1k but you don't have to.
Okay and thank you. For shave ready vintage razors, what's the purpose of the 4/8?

Okay and thank you. For shave ready vintage razors, what's the purpose of the 4/8?

I think that stat etwas made in the spirit of intake razors not being shave ready at times. To me, anything 12K or higher really requires a sharp edge to begin with.

Factory blades aren’t usually that sharp, so you need to know the condition of the blade you’re buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that stat etwas made in the spirit of intake razors not being shave ready at times. To me, anything 12K or higher really requires a sharp edge to begin with.

Factory blades aren’t usually that sharp, so you need to know the condition of the blade you’re buying.

Okay, right now I am sourcing my razors from a seller recommended by another member. I used that razor this morning.

Okay, right now I am sourcing my razors from a seller recommended by another member. I used that razor this morning.

That’s fine. Most of us have a 4K/8K or similar. I even have a 1K just in case. Again, if your comfortable that they’re shave ready, you should be OK.

I guess I worry that I might do something to a blade that might require a bit more work.

That’s fine. Most of us have a 4K/8K or similar. I even have a 1K just in case. Again, if your comfortable that they’re shave ready, you should be OK.

I guess I worry that I might do something to a blade that might require a bit more work.

Yes, those are good points about damaging the edge. I would just like to eliminate steps.

Yes, those are good points about damaging the edge. I would just like to eliminate steps.

Me too. I’ve been on the 4K/8K with a factory new edge. All my razors since have been purchased “shave ready”, but even those needed finishing, so you’re doing good.

Me too. I’ve been on the 4K/8K with a factory new edge. All my razors since have been purchased “shave ready”, but even those needed finishing, so you’re doing good.

Maybe I should wait for the strop coming tomorrow and use the smooth side and then shave. This might tell me something. I used the SR this morning as you know. I could feel the light tugging, but it still worked just fine. It has to be close or near shave ready for me to use. Honestly, as this point I do not need super sharp. I doubt my great grandfather ever had it much better than I had this morning. It is not like they had much more than a strop.

Maybe I should wait for the strop coming tomorrow and use the smooth side and then shave. This might tell me something. I used the SR this morning as you know. I could feel the light tugging, but it still worked just fine. It has to be close or near shave ready for me to use. Honestly, as this point I do not need super sharp. I doubt my great grandfather ever had it much better than I had this morning. It is not like they had much more than a strop.

That’s the way my factory Dovo was. I ran it on 4K/8K and it shaved a lot better. A member here honed it further on a Jnat and it was noticeably smoother.

Your shave ready blades should only require finishing, depending on the honer.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
All I want is something to maintain those I find that are shave ready.
A naniwa 12k and maybe a little Chrox would keep you going for a long long time. I see no reason for you to get a 4/8 at this point if you're just looking to keep a shave ready razor going. You might even try the chrox first before buying the 12k. For lapping, I'd recommend wet/dry sandpaper on a glass or granite plate.

A naniwa 12k and maybe a little Chrox would keep you going for a long long time. I see no reason for you to get a 4/8 at this point if you're just looking to keep a shave ready razor going. You might even try the chrox first before buying the 12k. For lapping, I'd recommend wet/dry sandpaper on a glass or granite plate.

I like your suggestions. Where would I source 12,000 grit wetable sandpaper? Thank you.

Top Bottom