What's new

Starter Set-up for SR Honing?????

Yes, I the 12k stone is still an option. I would also need a lapping stone.

you only need your marble tile and some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to lap a 12k stone. you can pick up 1000-2500 grit paper at an auto parts store in the paint and body section.

Got the marble tile 12x12 for $3.50.
you only need your marble tile and some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to lap a 12k stone. you can pick up 1000-2500 grit paper at an auto parts store in the paint and body section.
So, my friend, I got the 12x12 marble tile and ordered non PSA lapping film assortment. Thank you again for your advice and help. I am not ruling out a stone. One member suggested a 1000 grit. This is fun.

I don't think it's been covered on any of your threads, but trying to learn to shave (but coming from an SS makes that learning curve pretty shallow) and trying to learn to hone and strop at the same time can be daunting. did you have a bad shave because of bad technique, did you roll an edge stropping? do you not have a good hone? eliminating variables will help you ID and dial in that aspect. just some food for thought.

it may be worth it down the road to get someone else to hone your blade to compare your work to theirs. it's also an easy way to test drive different finishers; man made 12k, vs JNAT, vs. Ark, vs Coticule for example. then you can see where you want to take your honing adventure.

I don't think it's been covered on any of your threads, but trying to learn to shave (but coming from an SS makes that learning curve pretty shallow) and trying to learn to hone and strop at the same time can be daunting. did you have a bad shave because of bad technique, did you roll an edge stropping? do you not have a good hone? eliminating variables will help you ID and dial in that aspect. just some food for thought.

it may be worth it down the road to get someone else to hone your blade to compare your work to theirs. it's also an easy way to test drive different finishers; man made 12k, vs JNAT, vs. Ark, vs Coticule for example. then you can see where you want to take your honing adventure.

Good suggestions and I will take them to heart.

Top Bottom