What's new

Starter Set-up for SR Honing?????

I went without the adhesive. Without the backing it will stick with water. The tile was a 2 pack for $7.
I just lapped my practice razor on film and it shaves great.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have a used granite cutting board . Would this work for polishing film of 3-1 microns?

I wouldn't think a used granite cutting board would be really flat enough. Or smooth enough for lapping film to stick good. And you want lapping film, not polishing film or lapping paper or polishing paper or whatever. Be sure it is lapping film, plain back.

I agree with the others... a 12k Naniwa is as coarse as you need to go, for refreshing a previously sharp edge. That, or 1u lapping film. The midrange stones or film, and the bevel setter, can wait until you have some razors that need the bevel set. If you are looking for simplicity, just go with what you need for refreshing or maintaining an edge for right now. The midrange stones can wait, and you can set a bevel nicely on sandpaper, anyway.

I would very much recommend diamond paste on balsa, .5u to .1u, rather than CrOx on a paddle. You would not believe the difference it makes.

you can leave the backing paper on the sticky side and not unpeel it. take the tile piece under the faucet and run water over it to remove contaminates and wet it. run water over both sides of the laping paper, then lay the lapping paper down onto the tile with the running water to bed it onto tile. this will also flush out any air bubbles as you lay it down. the water will hold it well enough in place, or you may need to initially pin the lapping film in place wit a finger or two for the first few strokes of the razor. play with it and you're figure it out.

you can leave the backing paper on the sticky side and not unpeel it. take the tile piece under the faucet and run water over it to remove contaminates and wet it. run water over both sides of the laping paper, then lay the lapping paper down onto the tile with the running water to bed it onto tile. this will also flush out any air bubbles as you lay it down. the water will hold it well enough in place, or you may need to initially pin the lapping film in place wit a finger or two for the first few strokes of the razor. play with it and you're figure it out.
Will this work? It comes in 1 and 3 microns
5 Sheet Bundle 1 Micron (14,000 Grit) PSA Lapping Microfinishing Film Aluminum Oxide (OA) 8 1/2” x 11” 265Xx52 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R3T72S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Z.0QBbVP6A7ZP

Honestly, after reading this thread, you are going down the road of piecing together a bunch of different things based on what works for individual people. I went down this road myself and regret it to this day. I wish I had picked one person to chat with and learn. Now don’t get me wrong, this place is a wealth of knowledge, however it quickly becomes overwhelming for a new honer as there is information overload with no idea how to sort it out. I would highly recommend reading the newbie honing compendium, and getting set up with @Slash McCoy ”the method”. It’s easily repeatable, inexpensive and gives stellar results. Once you are comfortable with it then branch out as you will now have a solid benchmark and “know” that you can achieve great results.

Here is the cheapest source for film I have found

Fiber Polishing Supplies

Last edited:
Honestly, after reading this thread, you are going down the road of piecing together a bunch of different things based on what works for individual people. I went down this road myself and regret it to this day. I wish I had picked one person to chat with and learn. Now don’t get me wrong, this place is a wealth of knowledge, however it quickly becomes overwhelming for a new honer as there is information overload with no idea how to sort it out. I would highly recommend reading the newbie honing compendium, and getting set up with @Slash McCoy ”the method”. It’s easily repeatable, inexpensive and gives stellar results. Once you are comfortable with it then branch out as you will now have a solid benchmark and “know” that you can achieve great results.

Here is the cheapest source for film I have found

Fiber Polishing Supplies

Well, you are so right. I have an idea of what I want to do and don’t mind the different suggestions. After watching that video of a guy using the 3 and 1 micron lapping film that made more sense than anything.

Well, you are so right. I have an idea of what I want to do and don’t mind the different suggestions. After watching that video of a guy using the 3 and 1 micron lapping film that made more sense than anything.

That’s what I did. Marble tile, lapping film, sqeegee and loupe or pocket microscope.

if you haven't bought the lapping film yet, go with Slash's recommendations. if you have sticky film in hand... try what I said. it's worked for me. it should also work well with non sticky film.

enjoy the ride.

if you haven't bought the lapping film yet, go with Slash's recommendations. if you have sticky film in hand... try what I said. it's worked for me. it should also work well with non sticky film.

enjoy the ride.

I’m trying the sticky to fix it to a 7”x3” acrylic block. I’ll peel the back only from the ends of a 9”x3” strip and the adhesive will only stick to the ends to hold it in place. I don’t think the backing should hurt the honing. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I’m trying the sticky to fix it to a 7”x3” acrylic block. I’ll peel the back only from the ends of a 9”x3” strip and the adhesive will only stick to the ends to hold it in place. I don’t think the backing should hurt the honing. We’ll see.

I suspect that will cause the film to not lay flat. And that is a very short honing surface, considering it doesn't cost any more to have a long, luxurious one.

Film is very good. But if you end up honing often it gets expensive. I know the op is looking to just hone his own. Example a few hundred spent on hones has a resale value. If you decide it isn't for you you can off the stones for a small loss. And you can also use these for knives if you wish. Jmo and not trying to say there's a right or wrong answer here. The bottom line is the ops choice of course.

I suspect that will cause the film to not lay flat. And that is a very short honing surface, considering it doesn't cost any more to have a long, luxurious one.

The whole idea is to have a barbers hone at the sink. One I don’t have to set up or have a work area for, just grab it and run a few quick strokes while shaving.

The PSA is so thin, I wasn’t even sure I could remove it, or what it was at first. It’s like label strips, but a thinner backing.

Film is very good. But if you end up honing often it gets expensive. I know the op is looking to just hone his own. Example a few hundred spent on hones has a resale value. If you decide it isn't for you you can off the stones for a small loss. And you can also use these for knives if you wish. Jmo and not trying to say there's a right or wrong answer here. The bottom line is the ops choice of course.
Yes, I the 12k stone is still an option. I would also need a lapping stone.

The paddle strap came and I want to give it a go

Top Bottom