What's new

Starter kit for a newbie (me)

Ok, while I have been trying to read every possible post, in B&B, I have a simple conclusion that it is impossible. So many good advice given, but so many different styles too. I guess, I am new in this world, and don't have a style of wet shaving so I need help. I need to get my first kit to start to develop my own style.

After long reads, and ebay looking, I have only arrived to one decision... Merkur HD razor. I would love to get an old Gillette, but I am afraid that I will get a bad one and suffer retreat before giving wetshaving a good try. I also get lost in the multitude of old shavers. Anyway, with a razor I was planing on getting the DE sampler to experiment.

But I yet to make any decision on the new & mysterious tool -- the brush. I was initially inclined to get the Vulfix #2233 on Shaveblog recommendation. However, I keep reading good things on Crabtree & Evelyn $35 brush, but which one exactly there are 3 priced at $35. Also there is a big confusion on this post, is the recommended $35 gone, replaced, altered, priced higher, not available in the US, or just retired.

And don't get me started on creams vs soaps. I have no idea what the big difference is about them. So if you could recommend a primer website on both, or recommend one that would be great.

Last thing, what online store or B&B e-mail stores would you recommend to acquire a newbie kit. Looks like I might have to go to several sites. Is there a list of wetshaving online store??

Thanks!!!

you really should watch mantics videos on youtube. he gives some great advice. he also has a list of online wetshaving resources in one of his videos. i personally have had a lot of luck with classicshaving.com. you might want to consider the letterk sampler pack for your blades.:badger:

I agree with luckysealy... you should really check out Mantic's video's. Great for getting you started.

Since I am new at this myself I can't give a lot of advise on what to buy. Ordered a Merkur HD myself, which will arrive in a few days, can' wait to try it out! Also for more info on buying a DE razor look at the DE Buyers Guide written by Joel.

I have already been using the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush with my multiblade razor, which should be the same as the Crabtree & Evelyn one. It works great for me. Be sure to get the Best one though, the other $35 brushes are Pure Badger, which is a lower grade.

Hope you'll find what you are looking for! And welcome to B&B!

Go to the Wiki page for an exhaustive list of e'tailers. If you are in the USA, QED, Classic Shaving & Vintage Blades will have everything you need.

Think that QEDUSA has lowest price going on HD (I just got one or $28). Basically I shop QED first & if he doesn't have what I looking for, I check out the others...

QED customer service is par excellence. Do a search on QED & you'll find whole threads about QED & the owner Charles...Good Luck 'n happy shaving

Thanks for the replies. I already watched Mantic's Videos, some more than 3 times.

I had a minor question come to mind when it comes to the DE Blade Samplers. The small sampler pack should be fine for a beginner, right? Or are the "UK made Wilkinson Sword and DORCO blades" worth a try as well? I just never heard that much about them on B&B, and not good review on Wilkinson, but better on DORCO.

The small sampler pack should be fine for a beginner, right? Or are the "UK made Wilkinson Sword and DORCO blades" worth a try as well?
Meh, you can try them for fun and knowledge, but the small sampler pack will last for maybe 4 - 6 months (30 blades, imagine having 30 MAch3 cartridges!) and you will probably end up buying Isaelis, Debys, Feathers or Gillette. Who knows. Use a couple of Merkur Blades and Crystal just to improve your tecnique before making any final judgments about them. The first couple of weeks will be hard but have patience. Creams and soaps? Taylors and Tabac. They are rather cheap and Good. Welcome!

Here's a recommended starter kit for beginners. And the sampler packs are a great idea. A not-good review of a blade (or a good review of a blade) doesn't mean much. It tells what the blade was like for that particular shaver, but another shaver can have a totally different experience---that's why there are sampler packs. Otherwise, we'd quickly find the "best" blade, and everyone would use it. Alas, the best blade for A may be the worst blade for B.

For example, I can't use a Merkur blade, but some shavers find them to be the best. I like the Wilkinsons (both English and German) a lot, but you found someone who didn't. You really have to go just on your own experience.

Sampler packs:

In the US: here and here.
In the UK: here.

so far you have decided on the merkur HD(good choice) and the blade sampler pack(great choice!). You want this brush to start:

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/acc130291.html

It's called the "Cream Best Badger Small Shave Brush".

The confusion came about when C&E posted new items to their website and changed the price of this brush to $65. Our outrage led to us updating the information on this to warn prospective buyers of the cost increase. Also, many emails were sent to C&E questioning this and they admitted a 'pricing error' had occured and soon the necessary changes were made. As a result, we(B&B members) can wholeheartedly and unabashedly recommend this brush to those starting out on the road to wetshaving.

Welcome to B&B and remember: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Marty

Faleman, I started with the Merkur HD, and Vulfix 2233, and would recommend both. I tried an assortment of both creams & soaps, and I absolutely LOVE Mama Bears soaps, but YMMV. There may be some gentlemen on the board who are selling or trading some soaps. Jump on over to the Buying/Selling tab and ask around. Welcome to B& B!

Well Michaels post sure was an excersize in modesty...

A really good place to start with this type of stuff is his (Leisureguy's) Guide to Gourmet Shaving which is a pretty inexpensive book ($12?) and should get you going in the right direction. I came to wetshaving and B&B through his blog and it was a trove of knowledge. Check it out.

I myself started with a Merkur HD, letterk's sampler pack, Vulfix #405 and some TOBS Lavender and Sandalwood. I didn't use aftershave back then.

Ask lot's of questions-- people here love helping.

And welcome, faleman-- you'll have fun with this.

Ok, here is what I got so far...

Merkur HD $30 (on its way from LeeRazors.com, should be here next wk)
Blade Sampler #3 $17 (from razorandbrush.com)
Tabac Shaving Soap $18 (from razorandbrush.com)
C&E Best Brush $35 (got it at the local mall yesterday, a gift from SWMBO)
C.O. Bigelow SC w Eucalyptus $10 (repackage Proraso at bath & body works, gift from SWMBO)

I also got, from a B&B fellow, a TTO Gillette (no date), Saint Charles BayRum with Twist shaving cream & Mama Bear's unscented AS; though I plan to use the above items.

Am I missing anything? Pre-Shave Cream or Oil? Glycerin? Does Tabac or Proraso really need oil or glycerin?
Aftershave? Still hunting one down, that would go well with Tabac or Proraso. Sorry to say, but not a big fan of the unscented.

I tend to overanalyze and thinking of the next thing. Man, it all started trying to save money with Gillette cartridges. I blame you all at B&B for my new addiction.:biggrin:

For a pre-shave, the best thing I've found (so far) is to wash my beard with Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap, designed as a pre-shave soap, and then partially rinse with a splash of warm water and lather.

There is a Tabac aftershave, which I just learned about. So if you like the Tabac soap... Also, you'll see the Raw Vanilla aftershave on the same page. I really like that, though the fragrance doesn't really endure. The Royall line on that page is also pretty nice.

For brushes a boar brush is OK to start out, millions of people have shaved with them after all - a Surrey or Burma Shave brush is a little cheap, the Herban Cowboy at healthfood stores is a step above, and if you like creams the cheap Body Shop synthetic brush is fine, it's just not great for lathering up on the face (but not all synthetics are like this- a 12 dollar Omega would be an option). For shaving soap Surrey gets a little edge over Williams but both are OK, and more more readily available than the creams, of which Kiss My Face, Tom's of Maine will be the easiest to find. Then all you need is aftershave- any will do but Witch Hazel is an inexpensive option. You'll also need a mug, soup bowl, or something similar to lather with, possibly. And of course a stypic pencil or styptic liquid (pencils are easier to find though).

Total cost to start out- about 20 bucks.

I'm of the opinion the razor should be the second big purchase, after the above goodies. Maybe step down to a Sensor razor from a Mach 3 or Fusion. Why? Everything else can be found locally. Weishi, the inexpensive Parkers, etc. all seem to be OK from reviews (just not the butterfly Parker model).

Ok, here is what I got so far...

Merkur HD $30 (on its way from LeeRazors.com, should be here next wk)
Blade Sampler #3 $17 (from razorandbrush.com)
Tabac Shaving Soap $18 (from razorandbrush.com)
C&E Best Brush $35 (got it at the local mall yesterday, a gift from SWMBO)
C.O. Bigelow SC w Eucalyptus $10 (repackage Proraso at bath & body works, gift from SWMBO)

I also got, from a B&B fellow, a TTO Gillette (no date), Saint Charles BayRum with Twist shaving cream & Mama Bear's unscented AS; though I plan to use the above items.

Am I missing anything? Pre-Shave Cream or Oil? Glycerin? Does Tabac or Proraso really need oil or glycerin?
Aftershave? Still hunting one down, that would go well with Tabac or Proraso. Sorry to say, but not a big fan of the unscented.

I tend to overanalyze and thinking of the next thing. Man, it all started trying to save money with Gillette cartridges. I blame you all at B&B for my new addiction.:biggrin:
You got a great SetUp for enjoying the WetShave experience....Now just practice "mowing", slow'n'easy...In a week or so you'll be reaping the benefits
of your investment...A good shave is a real pleasure...Enjoy

For brushes a boar brush is OK to start out, millions of people have shaved with them after all

Total cost to start out- about 20 bucks.

I posted this several months back, but my start kit consisted of:

Gillette Super-Speed (no date 1940s?)
Proraso Soap
Proraso Boar's Brush by Omega (like the one in Mantic's vids)
Sampler Pack of Blades.

With tax and shipping, this came to around 35 dollars.

The razor was from eBay, but was already cleaned and in excellent shape.

I know that this thread's author has purchased already, but my advice to all Newbs is go as cheap as possible to start with, even if you can afford to buy the $100 Vision, the silvertip brush, and the premium soaps. Its like buying expensive golf clubs before you've even had lessons.

I frankly don't see any "reason" to purchase more razors, since I'm getting perfectly good shaves with what I'm using now, though I'd like to pick up some of the B&B recommended soaps and eventually a reasonable badger brush.

So far, I have saved money by switching to DE. In 4 months, I would have spent somewhere around 45 dollars on M3 cartridges. I've still got a lot of sampler pack blades left and I'm only half way through the Proraso. I'm gonna finish the bugger before I get another, just to say I did.

P.S. I'm getting the best shaves of my life and I have the B&B veterans to thank for that. Much Appreciation!!!

Top Bottom