What's new

Starter DE Razor for head shaving

Oh I'd also like to ask if it would be OK to use shaving gel for a while, because I bought 2 cans like 3 days ago -.-"
When I recently converted to DE shaving, I had the same situation and did exactly that, depleted my gel can inventory by shaving every day, which was also good practice. The gels worked fine for my face but I have no experience with head shaving. It was certainly easier and cleaner than using soaps and cremes, but they do give a better shave I believe. And some pre-shave oil may help too as I have to do that on my sensitive areas like between the lips and chin.

I really like SE razors for head shaves. I am looking forward to trying the AC format eventually but my current favorites are the Schick model E Injectable and the Twig. The Twig is more forgiving and probably more appropriate for someone who is learning.

I started with the Merkur 34C, and was not at all satisfied with the results on the dome. The Henson mild and medium are far superior for me as head shaving tools. The Henson was the first razor to give me a satisfactory BBS on the back fringe, something the Gillette Fusion never did. The Rockwell 6C/S is a nice razor, but is not quite as efficient for me for head shaving.

I have been using all the face shavers (DE and SE) I have (a lot); if I could only use one: either a Schick SE maybe the M (adjustable) or a RR Lupo dual comb head.....
The quickest and cheapest: Indian Gillette single edge disposable, you will get 10+ per head.

I'm a bit late, and especially created an account to give my feedback (hi by the way!):
I started using a DE razor for Movember 2022, and my pick was the Mühle R106 to begin my safety razor journey.

Since I also shave my head, for the last 30 years every week, I quickly tried to do it with the R106 and get rid of my Gillette Sensor.

If the 2-3 first attempts were shy (I'm shaving without a rear mirror, only following my second hand with the razor...I was scarred), six months later it's a success : I have now the same feeling with the R106 I had with the Sensor, same shaving speed, mad angles don't scare me anymore : I just don't apply much pressure and keep soap on the head.
It works and it feels natural, no cut so far, I just finish behind the ears with the Sensor.

Hope it helps :)

I have been DE head shaving for just a couple weeks now

Used today King C Gillette - mainly for the length/weight and considered a mild razor...it is fine for me
Did once use my Edwin Jagger Kelvin - has a short handle to see if that would be better...it was ok but the smooth handle became a little slippy.

I am still getting to grips with head shaving,especially around the back - but i have time and patience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom