What's new

Starter DE Razor for head shaving

Heya guys,

I'm new here but I'd like some help choosing my first DE Razor.

So I've been shaving my head for almost 10 years now (damn I'm getting old..) and the last 5 or so, I've been using a Gillette Fusion Proglide Power. I was about to order another package of blades but I think it is time for me to try a DE Razor (I mean they also cost something like 4.5€/blade..).

I've got a kind of sensitive skin and I do get cuts now and then so please keep that in mind.

I've made the following list:
Gillette King C. (13€)
Muhle R106 (29€)
Merkur 34C (44€)
Rockwell 6C (50€)

Together with some Personna Platinum blades (I've read they are kind to your skin).

From the list above I've been thinking to either get the cheapest Gillette and give DE a try or go for the R106 (which looks pretty decent for a beginner) and see how it goes. Any suggestions or objections?

Oh I'd also like to ask if it would be OK to use shaving gel for a while, because I bought 2 cans like 3 days ago -.-"

Thanks a ton!
T.

PS: I'm sorry for my English. It is not my native language..

I have just purchased a RazorRock Game Changer 68-P. They sell for around $55 USD. The razor is CNC machined 316L stainless steel to very tight tolerances. I've gotten some of the best shaves of my life with it. I'm 68 years old.

b/r

ON_1

I would recommend finding some of @Old Hippie's post since he is a head shaver and his recommendations would be relevant. A Razorock BBS, which is made for head shaving, or one of the slants will probably be his recommendation guessing. You can look up the Tilted Picnic Slant Circus, let me see if I can find a link...

I would go with the KCG. The grippy spiral grooves don’t go all the way down the handle. Use a silicone or foam pencil grip if you want or need more grip. It comes with a long handle that I prefer for head shaves. May be the same head as the Muhle - with different handle. I would stay away from the 6C - 6S is better made and if you don’t like 6S will hold some value to BST. Good luck. Henson AL13 Medium and Leaf Razor are other popular head shaving razors.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Heya guys,

I'm new here but I'd like some help choosing my first DE Razor.

So I've been shaving my head for almost 10 years now (damn I'm getting old..) and the last 5 or so, I've been using a Gillette Fusion Proglide Power. I was about to order another package of blades but I think it is time for me to try a DE Razor (I mean they also cost something like 4.5€/blade..).

I've got a kind of sensitive skin and I do get cuts now and then so please keep that in mind.

I've made the following list:
Gillette King C. (13€)
Muhle R106 (29€)
Merkur 34C (44€)
Rockwell 6C (50€)

Together with some Personna Platinum blades (I've read they are kind to your skin).

From the list above I've been thinking to either get the cheapest Gillette and give DE a try or go for the R106 (which looks pretty decent for a beginner) and see how it goes. Any suggestions or objections?

Oh I'd also like to ask if it would be OK to use shaving gel for a while, because I bought 2 cans like 3 days ago -.-"

Thanks a ton!
T.

PS: I'm sorry for my English. It is not my native language..
I also use DE to shave my head.

The top three razors you listed don't vary much in performance and are all good razors to start with.

The additional base plate of 6S is convenient for you to clarify the aggressiveness of your preference, and reduces the possibility of injury at the beginning.

Your list is very suitable for your needs, and the final choice may be appearance or price.
So it's your good to start with cheap Gillette.

Welcome to B&B.
I would suggest the Merkur 34C as your first razor as it has a nice handle and good manoeuvrablilty so ideal for head shaving. The RazoRock GameChanger .68 is similar if you want a stainless steel option. I think the KCG handle is too long and ugly.
I am not a head shaver but shave daily so make of that as you you will.

Sorry, I'm probably not going to be much help. I don't have a suggestion for a first razor. I do however shave my head and have for quite a long time now. I still haven't found the "one" for my head.

And by that I can shave my head with just about any DE or SE razor. But so far I still enjoy shaving my head most with a Mach3. I only go through one cartridge a month so it's not terrible.

Recently I've been going though shaving my head with my DE razors again. Just to do it. Of them the best one so far that I like is an adjustable Muramasa. I wouldn't suggest it as a first though because it's not cheap. I also don't think that the handle would be the easiest to handle at first either.

I have a high proof on order which just got released off of Kickstarter and is a broken in half DE blade razor. I'm looking forward to trying it. Edit to add the Henson is what I might look at next to try on the head. Have seen good comments on those for head shavers.

What I do know and can recommend is a longer handle razor. At least I prefer that. And some good balm you like. I don't like balms on my face but for the head it helps a lot especially for moisturizing it. My favorite is Nivea sensitive and recommend that. But anything to help moisturize will help.

Last edited:
It's funny that since I've been using a DE razor to shave my face, I've never used one to shave my head. I prefer SE, and have used:
  • Aluminum Hawk
  • Stainless steel Hawk (standard)
  • Hawk ECO
  • Vector
My favorites of the bunch are the Vector and ECO. Hate to say it but it's a toss-up on preference between the $20 ECO and the $220 Vector. Honestly, I'd be happy with just the ECO.

I've also used the triple-blade Leaf, which gave me a close and carefree shave. Shaves very much like a cartridge.

It's funny I found the leaf did best for me with one blade in it. Ha!

Some people use one or two. I've got so many half blades on hand, I fill 'er up. I just bought another ECO during the last sale at Italian Barber for 20 bucks, and it came with 100 more blades.

I haven't tried the vector. I like the ability to use standard DE blades like the eco and highproof. The eco I just wish the handle was longer. But definitely a good choice to try.

I head shave once per week and use two razors: Leaf and Hensen AL13.

The Leaf is to plow through the one week growth, and the Hensen is to finish off to a bbs head.

FWIW, I used to own a Mach 3 and used that for a while, but it would clog up all of the time. The Leaf never clogs, because the blades are spaced apart. However, that feature make for a very clunky design by comparison to the Mach 3.

First of all I'd like to thank every single one of you for the replies!

I've looked up your recommendations and I'll provide you the prices that go for over here.
RazoRock Game Changer 68-P (105€)
Henson AL13 Medium (67€)
Leaf Razor (90€)

I couldn't find any other RazoRock razors over here though.

I'll look them up tonight and make up my mind. Will update when I start using :D

PS: I actually found the following too
Razorock Eco Black (38€)
Razorock Black Hawk Single Edge V2 (40€)

Last edited:
I shave my super sensitive head daily.

The one that can do it efficiently and comfortably with the least amount of irritation, is the Karve Overlander.

I don't shave my head but a friend does.
The gamechanger has the advantage of covered blade tabs.
The mühle closed comb are said to be that similar to the king c gillette that you only need one of them.
My suggestion would be to start with the king c gillette.
My friend always says go immediately against the grain on the thirst pass when Shaving thr head.
Maybe try some different blades. There is no universal choice. Eg i don't like the Personna blades at all. But i won't recommend a special blade here. Ypu have to try on your own.

First of all I'd like to thank every single one of you for the replies!

I've looked up your recommendations and I'll provide you the prices that go for over here.
RazoRock Game Changer 68-P (105€)
Henson AL13 Medium (67€)
Leaf Razor (90€)

I couldn't find any other RazoRock razors over here though.

I'll look them up tonight and make up my mind. Will update when I start using :D

PS: I actually found the following too
Razorock Eco Black (38€)
Razorock Black Hawk Single Edge V2 (40€)
When I shave my head (not that often) I use my Mach3. It's just so easy and no nicks etc. Now If I was to use a DE I would go for the Henson...I found it to be as easy to use as a CART.

I wouldn't recommend the 34c as your first head shaving razor. It's a way too light and the handle is too short to being efficient. The 39c is much better choice or any longer handle option.

34c is excellent for a beard.

Sorry, I'm probably not going to be much help. I don't have a suggestion for a first razor. I do however shave my head and have for quite a long time now. I still haven't found the "one" for my head.

And by that I can shave my head with just about any DE or SE razor. But so far I still enjoy shaving my head most with a Mach3. I only go through one cartridge a month so it's not terrible.

Recently I've been going though shaving my head with my DE razors again. Just to do it. Of them the best one so far that I like is an adjustable Muramasa. I wouldn't suggest it as a first though because it's not cheap. I also don't think that the handle would be the easiest to handle at first either.

I have a high proof on order which just got released off of Kickstarter and is a broken in half DE blade razor. I'm looking forward to trying it. Edit to add the Henson is what I might look at next to try on the head. Have seen good comments on those for head shavers.

What I do know and can recommend is a longer handle razor. At least I prefer that. And some good balm you like. I don't like balms on my face but for the head it helps a lot especially for moisturizing it. My favorite is Nivea sensitive and recommend that. But anything to help moisturize will help.
I have been shaving my noggin for 25 years, and have NEVER attempted to use an SE OR DE, just seemed like a call for cuts and nicks, and time suck. I use the Gillette Baldy handle and their multi blade carts and shave in the shower, seems to work efficiently and I get decent life out of the cartridges.....

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A Razorock BBS, which is made for head shaving, or one of the slants will probably be his recommendation guessing.

Straight UP, man! The BBS is a great mild shaver and would be a good tool for learning the movements needed to effectively shave the head. I mean, it's not hard but having a really safe-feeling razor right at first is useful.

Slants are excellent at shaving my head, at any rate. Again, starting a bit milder helps keep the trepidation under control. Parker SemiSlant, iKon X3, RazoRock German 37 or Merkur 37 are good picks, I think. The German 37 and the Merkur 37 are just a bit more aggressive, but I don't believe any of them is a bad choice even for a starting razor if someone's prepared to be a little bit careful.

I haven't seen much yet on the RazoRock Superslant in say an L1SB version -- that would be their mildest, and I find the L3SB to be a pretty nice razor. Monday kicks off another two-week run with the L3SB. A benefit of the Superslant is that if one feels the plate they bought is a bit mild or they "grow into" liking a bit more aggression, it's simple to move up a level or two and keep essentially the same razor. We're all still feeling our way into the Superslants, finding how they work and looking ahead to coming options like OC plates.

I also use the Rex Konsul adjustable slant. VERY nice razor, bit pricey just try it on, but it can do wonders. I like to switch around between the Konsul and some of my other slants. I find that techniques for one often work on another, and at the moment I'm about that "game of millimetres" trying to see how much efficiency I can wring out of them.

O.H.

Top Bottom