What's new

Started With 30+ and Now I Have 8 (Shave Soaps)

After a major den clearing and some paying it forward to some guys at my fire department, these are the 8 soaps that made the cut. In alphabetical order:
1. Barrister and Mann Hallows
2. Barrister and Mann Nocturne
3. Barrister and Mann Roam
4. Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
5. Chiseled Face Sherlock
6. Tallow+Steel Boreal
7. Tallow+Steel Sicily
8. Wholly Kaw Cuero Oscuro

There are criteria I use to determine the best soaps for me and these were the ones I liked the most for one reason or another. Barrister and Mann Nocturne is my absolute favorite scent hands down. As a reference I have tried about 10 or so Barrister and mann soaps, 4 or 5 Wholly Kaw soaps, 4 Tallow+Steel soaps, 4 Grooming Dept soaps, 4 Chiseled Face soaps, a couple Shannon's soaps, and a couple of other randoms along with staples like Tabac, MWF, and TOBS creams/soap. Has any one else had luck narrowing down favorites in the den? Cheers!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, for me Arko is the top of the heap. And contrary to what others here will say, I don't use urinal cakes in my home.

After a major den clearing and some paying it forward to some guys at my fire department, these are the 8 soaps that made the cut. In alphabetical order:
6. Tallow+Steel Boreal
7. Tallow+Steel Sicily

There are criteria I use to determine the best soaps for me and these were the ones I liked the most for one reason or another. Barrister and Mann Nocturne is my absolute favorite scent hands down. As a reference I have tried about 10 or so Barrister and mann soaps, 4 or 5 Wholly Kaw soaps, 4 Tallow+Steel soaps, 4 Grooming Dept soaps, 4 Chiseled Face soaps, a couple Shannon's soaps, and a couple of other randoms along with staples like Tabac, MWF, and TOBS creams/soap. Has any one else had luck narrowing down favorites in the den? Cheers!

After ridding my den of some unused soaps, I have narrowed my list down to about 125 soaps. I figure that is enough to last for the remainder of my life, even if I live to 100. However, there are still a few soaps I would like to try and probably will one day. I love trying new soaps and new scents. I could probably get by with 8 soaps, but picking those eight would be really tough.

Some people use the same soap every day; some rotate though a collection of several soaps; others have collections even larger than mine. As long as you are satisfied with your shaving experience, you are good.

I could cut down my 25 soaps and perhaps I should. The final list would be totally different - I've sold all my B&M and T&S and just kept WK King of Oud. The keepers would be GD, Eufros, SV, Fitjar, Pannacrema, Boellis and some odd ones I love like Barbus Classic, PdP 63, 1805, Wickhams Cashmere and Klar Seifen Sport.

Hmmm.... that's probably the original 25 already....

After ridding my den of some unused soaps, I have narrowed my list down to about 125 soaps. I figure that is enough to last for the remainder of my life, even if I live to 100. However, there are still a few soaps I would like to try and probably will one day. I love trying new soaps and new scents. I could probably get by with 8 soaps, but picking those eight would be really tough.

Some people use the same soap every day; some rotate though a collection of several soaps; others have collections even larger than mine. As long as you are satisfied with your shaving experience, you are good.
Yeah. I only did it because for me having all of those soaps is just too cumbersome. The storage and having to choose what to use just wasn't enjoyable for me. I did however love trying all of them. Cheers!

No man shall not give up his shaving soaps, just keep on rotation each soap during your shave.

And we shall have peace, enjoying more than 100 soaps in our den.

Last edited:
Yeah. I only did it because for me having all of those soaps is just too cumbersome. The storage and having to choose what to use just wasn't enjoyable for me. I did however love trying all of them. Cheers!

Yeah, I had to install another cabinet in the bathroom to make room for the soap collection. However, choosing the soap of the day is never a problem. All but a few of my soaps are excellent, so whatever I pick will give a good shave.

6. Tallow+Steel Boreal
7. Tallow+Steel Sicily

Good man! Congratulations on making the ‘minimalist’ cut (at least by B+B standards)! :a29:

I ran 7 soaps (house and travelers) for a few years happily. I got 2 for Christmas and am now up to 8 soaps. I might even reorder the 8th.

Wow, some of these numbers are amazing. I’m trying to build up to about 8-10 soaps and currently have only 4.

A great collection of soaps is not built overnight. You have to do some research: read reviews, watch shave videos, study the list of ingredients and scent notes and identify soaps you think you might want in your den. Most of the soaps I acquired in the early stages of my shaving journey are now some of my least favorite soaps. With research and experience, I have learned how to pick soaps that better meet my needs.

In early June, I attended the Maggard Meetup in Adrian, MI. The event was Saturday, but I went on Friday afternoon to talk with Brad and the other staff as they were getting prepared for the event. I also wandered around the store and sniffed about 100 different soaps. My wife purchased five scents I liked and held them until Father's Day. The next day at the meet, there were artisan soapmakers from all across the country. I got to talk with them personally and check out their latest releases, some of which had not yet been made available to the general public. I purchased another five soaps at the meet and brought back a number of free samples as well. It was a great weekend.

If money is a concern, purchasing soap samples is a great way to try a lot of different soaps to see which you like and which you do not. If a soap does not work for you, you will be glad you purchased a sample rather than a full puck or tub. I purchased a number of samples from one soapmaker and found that nearly every one of their scents caused severe irritation of my face. I was SO glad I had not spent money on full tubs.

Well, for me Arko is the top of the heap. And contrary to what others here will say, I don't use urinal cakes in my home.

Right along side Williams.

I had 20 soaps at the beginning of the year and now I’m down to 16. These will be used in some manner and pared down to 2: Williams and Arko.

Now that I have tried Arko, thanks to @FarmerTan, and was already using Williams in my rotation, I have learned to appreciate the simpler, finer things in life.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

All great artisan soaps. May also want to try MER, WSP, Catie’s and PAA among others. Stirling is up there, but performance slightly better for those on your list. Scent wise, Stirling is top notch. Samples are a great way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow, some of these numbers are amazing. I’m trying to build up to about 8-10 soaps and currently have only 4.

proxy.php

A great collection of soaps is not built overnight. You have to do some research: read reviews, watch shave videos, study the list of ingredients and scent notes and identify soaps you think you might want in your den. Most of the soaps I acquired in the early stages of my shaving journey are now some of my least favorite soaps. With research and experience, I have learned how to pick soaps that better meet my needs.

I sure believe all this you say! This has been a hobby for only about a year, year and a half, and I’m slowly and carefully trying to build up to just about 8-10 soaps.

I think I’m done buying blind based on descriptions and reviews. I have something like 10 that I bought and for one reason or another, they didn’t work out as expected.

Now I’m just starting to go through a nice big batch of samples, 20 to be exact, and having fun with those and already found 2 that I like. There’s even samples of some polarizing soaps. I just can’t see myself having a huge number unless I hang on to the ones I didn’t care much for but I plan to sale or give those away.

I could cut down my 25 soaps and perhaps I should. The final list would be totally different - I've sold all my B&M and T&S and just kept WK King of Oud. The keepers would be GD, Eufros, SV, Fitjar, Pannacrema, Boellis and some odd ones I love like Barbus Classic, PdP 63, 1805, Wickhams Cashmere and Klar Seifen Sport.

Hmmm.... that's probably the original 25 already....
All of those sound great. I have wanted to try a couple of those, but at this point for me would just be superfluous. All of the soaps I kept lather easy and give me great irritation free shaves. The aftershave feel is different for all of them, but they all have scents I just absolutely love. Even though there are others I would like to try, I just can't see a reason why save for variety. Cheers!

I sure believe all this you say! This has been a hobby for only about a year, year and a half, and I’m slowly and carefully trying to build up to just about 8-10 soaps.

I think I’m done buying blind based on descriptions and reviews. I have something like 10 that I bought and for one reason or another, they didn’t work out as expected.

Now I’m just starting to go through a nice big batch of samples, 20 to be exact, and having fun with those and already found 2 that I like. There’s even samples of some polarizing soaps. I just can’t see myself having a huge number unless I hang on to the ones I didn’t care much for but I plan to sale or give those away.

When it comes to reviews, you have to know which reviews you can trust and which you cannot. If you can find a reviewer whose needs and preferences are similar to your own, then you can probably trust his reviews. I like watching video reviews because I can gather some data by watching the lather as it builds, listening to the razor as it glides across the face, etc. When combined with the verbiage of the reviewer, the review becomes more meaningful. Some folks trust my reviews, but others have different needs and preferences. That is OK.

Top Bottom