What's new

Start of my straight razor journey

This is one of the best video's for shaving with a straight.

It's been posted on these forums plenty of times but It's worth watching closely again and again.
Should give you plenty of idea's on how to tackle those hard to get bits.

Jump to around 2:40 for the actual shave.

I do not agree with the square point comment.
A beginner will find a round point more forgiving, and I never felt that a square point had an inherent advantage when shaving the corners of my moustache.

Truth be told, I have been wondering whether the main reason that square points became so popular was because they were cheaper to produce than round, French, Spanish or Irish points.

Regarding the WTG, XTG and ATG pass, I consider that to be a theoretical concept.
Not everybody may agree with me, but there are areas on my face where beard growth just does not lend itself to these three quintessential passes and the most efficient passes all have an element of XTG built in.

Hope this helps....

B.

Great video, just had a watch, he’s actually quite firm with the razor! He also keeps the scales out to the side out of the way when shaving bottom to top on his neck, probably how I should do it. The bottom to top grip on the Badger and Blade Wiki is awkward for the neck.

Grips, like most else in shaving, seem to be a matter of what works best for you. The main point is to have good control of the razor. That can be aided by positioning the scales so they help balance the blade, but not so they interfere with what's comfortable.

Shave #3
Date: 16/10/18
Prep: Shower
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Vulfix 660 Medium Super Badger
Razor: Vintage The Fisher Paul Kohl Solingen
A/S: M&S Woodspice

Better lather today, I used the guide on here to refresh myself, embarrassing for someone who has been shaving with brush and soap/cream for ten years!

I kept with the grip of having the scales at more or less 180 degrees from the blade today for shaving up the neck, and it was definitely easier to get the right angle and movement, used a small amount of lateral movement too to help with the slicing of the hairs, seemed to work. I stuck to two passes with the grain on the neck and one pass on the cheeks.

I’m still trying to work out the cheeks, it is just awkward trying to avoid taking a chunk out of the beard, but I think with time hopefully I’ll be able to get it.

On the neck I was definitely more confident and the video posted by Somerled was a big help too, I felt confident just to go for it a bit more with the razor, it is definitely more forgiving than I imagined when first starting this.

It was a work morning, so I had less time than at the weekend, but feel managed ok, hopefully improving, but a long way to go!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Shave #3
Date: 16/10/18
Prep: Shower
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Vulfix 660 Medium Super Badger
Razor: Vintage The Fisher Paul Kohl Solingen
A/S: M&S Woodspice

Better lather today, I used the guide on here to refresh myself, embarrassing for someone who has been shaving with brush and soap/cream for ten years!

I kept with the grip of having the scales at more or less 180 degrees from the blade today for shaving up the neck, and it was definitely easier to get the right angle and movement, used a small amount of lateral movement too to help with the slicing of the hairs, seemed to work. I stuck to two passes with the grain on the neck and one pass on the cheeks.

I’m still trying to work out the cheeks, it is just awkward trying to avoid taking a chunk out of the beard, but I think with time hopefully I’ll be able to get it.

On the neck I was definitely more confident and the video posted by Somerled was a big help too, I felt confident just to go for it a bit more with the razor, it is definitely more forgiving than I imagined when first starting this.

It was a work morning, so I had less time than at the weekend, but feel managed ok, hopefully improving, but a long way to go!
You were sliding the blade across a tad as you moved the razor down? That’s a pretty advanced move. And yes, it works quite well. I’m impressed.

Top Bottom