What's new

Starling v2 SE quality shave?

I got a paa starting v2 se a couple weeks ago and can't seem to get a close shave. I have used different soaps, both plates and always use proper pre shave technique. The only thing I haven't done is ordered different blades. Currently have a treet super in it. Is there any advice, or is this razor maybe just not for me?

Would recommend a gem PTFE. If the starling still doesn’t shave well with one of those in it, then that tells you something about the razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My understanding of the Starling V2 razor is that it is a reasonable good razor(I do not own one but have lots of GEM razors)
The blade I use is the GEM Personna SS PTFE blade and it is a winner IMO for performance as mentioned by @Theodore.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
I hope this will help you and have some great shaves!

Would recommend a gem PTFE. If the starling still doesn’t shave well with one of those in it, then that tells you something about the razor.

I'll give it a try. All of the YouTube reviwers have said it's a good razor. So I'll give it a try. The only wet shave razor I've had spectacular luck with, either se or de, is a schick style injector so it may just be me.

I have one, and use Gem blades. The SB plate shaves closer for me, and is right there with the Micromatics.

Not a "stunner", but Mardi Grais fun, and a good shaver.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Just had Shave One with my Starling V2 with the SB plate. I switched to the Starling from a Gem 1912 because I was having a "far too mild" shave with the 1912. It could knock down a three-day head stubble pretty good, about to the level of making it a one-day stubble. Getting smoother than that was a painstaking and uneven process and still left me with areas where I wasn't happy. I used the Gem for two weeks but had planned to go for a month as usual.

So this morning I unboxed and set up the Starling. I'll go a couple weeks on the SB plate and then switch to the OC plate. Of course, first shave; I had angles pretty well figured out but the masses and moments are different with an aluminum razor. But I got through my shave 15 minutes faster than with the Gem because I spent less time going over -- and over, and over, and over -- areas where my fingertips found stubble remaining.

One thing I noticed right away was that where the polished plated cap of the 1912 tends to slide smoothly on the skin, the Starling was "jittery" and tended to feel like it wanted a firm grip on the handle and a more authoritative stroke.

WTG was like normal, fairly smooth. XTG did the most cleanup work. ATG for me was impossible -- no matter what angle I tried, including all the way up on the cap and probably "off the blade" -- it would just dig in, tug, and stop. I experimented briefly with angled passes between XTG and gradually going closer to ATG. Didn't work too well.

Still I managed an OKFW and there's room for experiment and improvement. One of my present challenges is that our relative humidity has been hovering around 10 per cent. Lather dries out pretty quick at that RH, so I tend to make a "sloppy" lather to start. I then add more water to the scuttle and beat it up again before relathering.

So: a little better for my shave, with some suggestive possibilities. I like it.

O.H.

I bought one a few weeks ago. Using an SS (not PTFE coated blade) gives me a great shave with either the OC or closed plate. I find it a bit harsh, but the alum block doesn’t sting much after. I like it, and will order some PTFE blades to try one of these days.

i picked up one and have not got good results to date. Its been filed under the "pick up again someday" category

I picked the V-2 razor up when it was first release about 5 months ago. I have tried a few different blades in it - Gem Blue Stars, Treats and PTFE coated Ted Paellas. I find they all do a decent job but the Ted Paellas have the edge and keeping the carbon steel blades from rusting takes some effort. I think I enjoy shaving with this razor more than any of the Gem razors (I have them all). I an an O/C guy, so I mostly use the O/C plate but I tried the SB plate as well and got a good shave with it. I would not hesitate to recommend the V-2. Of course, YMMV.

I bought the Starling V2 when it was released (July/August 2018?) and find it to be a great razor. I thought it was harsh and I ended up with nicks during my first few shaves with it. However, the key with the Starling is to use an extremely light touch. Once I got the hang of it, my shaves improved tremendously. Either base plate works well for me and I enjoy using it. I find it shaves much like the Gem MMOC.

Old Hippie

Tried a slightly more "edgy" angle this morning, but with due care and attention. I'm on...(consults diary)...seven shaves with this Personna PTFE blade and it still seems good. Second shave with the Starling V2. I seem to lose the edge on most DE blades around shave four or five, so this is interesting.

Pretty comfy shave this morning, a little cleanup and still learning the angles compared to a Gem. I noted (using the SB plate) that the blade rattled just a touch, side to side. Just went with it and didn't have any problems.

O.H.

I’ve used a Starling V2 for a few months now. It practically lives in my Dopp kit and gets frequent use (I travel extensively for work, just finished five weeks in a row of travel). It was the only razor that left my Dopp kit on weekends when I was home. That has changed with the acquisition of a Blackland Sabre.

I concur with the comments above that it shaves very similar to the MMOC, which is high praise! I didn't care for the matte finish on the top cap, so I wet sanded it with 3000, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound. It's much smoother now.

I concur with the comments above that it shaves very similar to the MMOC, which is high praise! I didn't care for the matte finish on the top cap, so I wet sanded it with 3000, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound. It's much smoother now.
interesting ! can you show the result ?
I really like the razor, but the finish is not really smooth on the skin

Sorry, I missed this yesterday or I would have posted this sooner. Surprisingly the finish was only polished off at the angle line of the cap.
20190310_131410.jpg
20190310_131423.jpg

Old Hippie

All right, on my third week with the Starling V2 and switched it to the OC baseplate. IMHO, What a difference! It went from being pretty mild and needing a lot of return attention to areas that were still "proud" to being a very smooth but fairly aggressive shave that left very little cleanup behind.

In fact, with three passes and a few spots that needed some closer attention it was probably the best single-edge shave I've ever had. It continues to be such. So much so that I'm starting to think I may have found either A grail or THE grail.

Not needing to go back several times means less irritation, even though blade feel is higher. (Reminder: head shaver only.) I may finally have found a razor that can go ATG on my neck without giving (much) irritation. If so, that's a jewel beyond price right there!

The folks at PAA already know I would cheerfully do almost anything short of murder to be a tester for the 316L version of this razor. (NO that doesn't mean they're thinking about one! It means when they do, I want one...)

One thing I like very much about this razor is the very small ribs on the outside of the plates for blade corner guards. I'm looking at my ATT G-1 that's approximately next in the Shave of the Month queue and wondering how that will feel with those blade corners sticking out. I may have to stone them to round them off a little if it's a problem...

O.H.

I used my V2 this morning and plan on using it all week.

It was a great irritation free shave using the open comb. It only takes a light touch and two passes for a virtually BBS shave. I’ll use the solid bar (purple) base plate tomorrow and alternate all week. It’s never gotten the use it deserves due to many other competing razors in my den. I’ll do some thinning later on this year, so maybe the V2 will get some more playtime soon.

The V2 is a legitimate SE and a great razor at that. It’s a keeper!

Top Bottom