What's new

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

I was underwhelmed until about the last ten seconds, which was really great. I doubt that's enough to save it from J.J. Abrams's incompetent hands.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
To be honest, I'm dreading this movie. I was the original trilogy's greatest fan but have since become jaded by Lucas's reworking that trilogy, the steaming turd that were the prequels, and Abrams's . . . I don't know what to call what he's done. The only bits that I've really enjoyed from these latest ones were Luke's appearance at the end of VII, his stand in the battle of "let's make this go almost the same as Hoth but not nearly as good," and his peaceful absorption into The Force.

But I do dread it because I know I'll go see it and be ticked off.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you dig deep enough, you can find things to complain about. I just saw The Last Jedi and Solo last week. I found them enjoyable. Sure, I could nitpick, but why?

Looks great, can't wait. I'm especially looking forward to the potential of Luke and Palpatine being shoulder angel and devil to Kylo Ren, respectively.

As for Rey vs. the TIE interceptor, I think a lot of people are speculating wildly (and incorrectly) about the context of that scene. I guess it's possible that it's a solo First Order pilot trying to take down a Resistance infantry unit, but I initially assumed it was another Resistance member (potentially Poe or Rose Tico), having salvaged an interceptor, and they are training together.

If you dig deep enough, you can find things to complain about. I just saw The Last Jedi and Solo last week. I found them enjoyable. Sure, I could nitpick, but why?

This is indeed true. It's also true that sometimes you don't have to dig at all - I'm looking at you, Plan 9 from Outer Space.

As a professed Star Wars geek, yes I'll go see it, but my expectations aren't very high. Outside of the original trio, Rogue One was the best so far.

I’m under the impression that the latest couple SW flicks were written by the same people who came up with the latest Gillette commercial.

No, they're not Oscar worthy movies, but they're fun - that's all. So, yes, I'll go see it - I think Daisy Ridley is cute, I want to see how they wrap it all up, and HEY, LOOK! They brought back Lando "Billy Dee" Calrissian!!

I don't really care about going to see movies that intellectually challenge me, I get enough of that at work. I just want to be entertained and taken to a galaxy far, far away.

...oh yeah, I agree with the general consensus on Rogue One - that is definitely the best SW movie since The Empire Strikes Back. Solo was a lot of fun, also.

I really need to see Plan 9. It can’t be any worse than Darkstar.
you take that back. Best alien ever.
proxy.php

No, they're not Oscar worthy movies, but they're fun - that's all. So, yes, I'll go see it - I think Daisy Ridley is cute, I want to see how they wrap it all up, and HEY, LOOK! They brought back Lando "Billy Dee" Calrissian!!

I don't really care about going to see movies that intellectually challenge me, I get enough of that at work. I just want to be entertained and taken to a galaxy far, far away.

...oh yeah, I agree with the general consensus on Rogue One - that is definitely the best SW movie since The Empire Strikes Back. Solo was a lot of fun, also.

This may sound cruel, but are there any modern Oscar winners that are enjoyable? Example: Of the 2011 nominees, I only really liked True Grit. What won? The King's Speech.

Again, I don't want to diss Star Wars more than I have. I just don't care for it. To be honest, the original Star Wars was a disappointment, and came away thinking it would have been better as Han Solo's story. The John Williams' score is nice, though. OTOH, a lot of John Williams' scores are nice.

That's just my opinion. A lot of people like Game of Thrones, but when it became clear the novel was a start of a series that read like a soap opera, I went "Meh."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I took my son to see the first Disney effort. At that time he was pretty “in to” star wars (original) and various cartoon spinoffs and such. But that movie failed to make an impact on him. While he was aware of the subsequent movies, there was no desire on his part to see them.

Forty years ago Star Wars was phenomenally popular, especially with the youth. Today’s iteration has not made anywhere near the same impact.

Right now, it’s closer to “Our Gang” than Fortnite.

I took my son to see the first Disney effort. At that time he was pretty “in to” star wars (original) and various cartoon spinoffs and such.
The cartoons are better than the new movies. Dave Filoni gets Star Wars, J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson do not.

This may sound cruel, but are there any modern Oscar winners that are enjoyable? Example: Of the 2011 nominees, I only really liked True Grit. What won? The King's Speech.

I don't know how you define modern, but in the last 20 years I enjoyed:
The Shape of Water
Spotlight
12 Years a Slave
Argo
The Artist
The King's Speech
The Hurt Locker
Slumdog Millionaire
No Country for Old Men
The Departed
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Chicago
Gladiator

Most of those were not my favorites of the year, but I liked them all to varying degrees. A few I downright loved.

Forty years ago Star Wars was phenomenally popular, especially with the youth. Today’s iteration has not made anywhere near the same impact.
lol?

tfa.jpg

Of course, the landscape of media has changed so much since 1977 that it's almost impossible to measure the movies' impact on children then and today. There is far more competition now, no doubt, and modern Star Wars isn't blazing a new path in filmmaking like George Lucas did all those years ago. Still, for a movie that has to compete with a barrage of other sources of entertainment, be it streaming services or video games, I would say the new Star Wars movies have proven to be quite successful across multiple generations, including children, even if it doesn't ring the bell for a vocal minority of older fans.

Top Bottom