What's new

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Whereas the series jumped the shark long, long ago. They are rubbing our noses in it with Rey jumping a t.i.e. fighter.

And Luke continues to whine from beyond the grave.

I’m not going.

I just think it's amusing how all the hard core Star Wars fans spend months getting all hyped up for the next movie in the series and then after they see it they spend months complaining about how bad it was. Everybody knows there hasn't really been a decent Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I watched the very first 3 movies that came out and then I was lost when they started bringing out prequels etc. I don't know what I am missing. I am in no hurry to catch up either.

Many people like Star War. I'm not one of them. I don't begrudge those who do. I saw the trailer and ... well, the opening with Rey facing down some sort of TIE fighter pretty much nailed one of the things that grates my nerves about the series:

Rey: "I'm going to stare down this fighter craft, run, and do a back flip over it because I'm a bad *** Jedi."

Pilot: "I'm going to take my fighter, with its incredible speed and weaponry to ground level, poke along, and run her down."

What I would have like to have seen:

Rey: "Oh, crud, he brought a TIE fighter to a light saber fight. Better find cover like right now."

Pilot: "I'll do a strafing run and follow up with aerial bombardment of where she takes cover, because she's a bad *** Jedi and they don't mess around. Better yet, nuke it from orbit; that's the only way to be sure."

Aaand maybe that's too much. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. If you like Star Wars and want to see this movie, go right ahead: enjoy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Whereas the series jumped the shark long, long ago. They are rubbing our noses in it with Rey jumping a t.i.e. fighter.

And Luke continues to whine from beyond the grave.

I’m not going.

There was a meme or something i read the other day about that scene. Something like they didn’t understand why a fighter that can fly MILES above the ground and shoot lasers from untold distances would opt to fly inches from the ground and try to ram someone that’s on foot and only armed with a light saber. Like ya know....instead of just shooting them from afar.

. I thought the trailer looked pretty cool. I thought the emperors laugh was a neat addition to the trailer. Looking forward to it.

Only Star Wars movies I didn’t like were the prequels and solo. I thought Rogue one was good. I also like both force awakens and last jedi. Maybe not as good as original series but still fun popcorn movies. Curious to see what happens to Kylo Ren.

So what I am hearing is:
Star wars=Jedi backflips a TIE fighter=crazy
Live free or Die hard=Jhon Mclain is trapped in a tunel and uses a police cruiser to ram a helicopter right out of the sky=perfectly cool (actually it is perfectly cool, is Jhon Maclain for crying out loud!)

Have not seen the trailer yet. I've enjoyed the stand alone movies more than the standard canon entries lately.

So what I am hearing is:
Star wars=Jedi backflips a TIE fighter=crazy
Live free or Die hard=Jhon Mclain is trapped in a tunel and uses a police cruiser to ram a helicopter right out of the sky=perfectly cool (actually it is perfectly cool, is Jhon Maclain for crying out loud!)

Uh, no. No one is comparing the Star Wars movies to any other.

Since this is a Star Wars thread, this is a cartoon I saw yesterday:

Off the Mark by Mark Parisi for April 13, 2019 | GoComics.com

The last few were decent action movies.

Rey leaping over a TIE fighter is fine by me. A bit of Shaw Brothers & Matrix action never hurt anyone. Donnie Yen was kungfu'ing his way through stromtroopers with a stick in Rogue One.
CGI rubberball Yoda lightsabering Chistopher Lee in the prequels was a low point:

fight

Will likely go and see it in the movies as space laser battles are better that way.

Uh, no. No one is comparing the Star Wars movies to any other.
oh I get that, I just thought it was funny how the scene make some people kind of cringe when it doesnt sound logical within the context of the story, so I didnt want to compare movies, just compare context and how some are accepted and some are not, to me star war movies are good, but again, I am not contemporary with the first movies so I dont get what the fuzz is all about, and again, seems like lately movies are somewhat straight out of an assembly line and mass produced so I dont have the bases to critic weather a movie is good or not!

I just think it's amusing how all the hard core Star Wars fans spend months getting all hyped up for the next movie in the series and then after they see it they spend months complaining about how bad it was. Everybody knows there hasn't really been a decent Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm a fan, but not in that camp. I don't get hyped up over the new movies. Everything after the original trilogy have been pretty bad. I paid to see a few (with reservation), but no more. I would not pay to see one now. When they are free on cable, I may check them out, but I'm not giving Disney any more of my money for this crap they are putting out.

I'm a fan, but not in that camp. I don't get hyped up over the new movies. Everything after the original trilogy have been pretty bad. I paid to see a few (with reservation), but no more. I would not pay to see one now. When they are free on cable, I may check them out, but I'm not giving Disney any more of my money for this crap they are putting out.
The last one I paid to see at a theater was the first prequel whatever it was called, since then I just wait until they are on cable or Netflix. Do people still camp out overnight to be the first to see the new ones?

Top Bottom