What's new

Star Shaving Brush

I was looking at a Star shaving brush online and was wondering if anyone is familiar with them. Tried to attach a pic but it wouldn't take the file. It is said to be a 1980's era, has a white knot (boar or synthetic?) and says "Set in Rubber" and "Sterilized" USA beneath the Star brand. Looks like and Eveready. I didn't know that they branded them as Star. Anyhow I'd appeciate any information about what the knot might be and anything else you might know about this sort of brush. Thanks.

A pic would sure be helpful. I download pics to my download file, then click the "Attach files" button as I'm writing my thread on B & B which then lets me select the photo I want to use in the thread.

So I went ahead and got this brush. Here are pics. It is listed as from the 1980's and the seller said he thinks it is a synthetic knot. I'm fairly new to the world of brushes and have only had a number of modern synthetics and one horse hair. But I would have expected a synthetic knot from the 80's to be kind of scritchy and not great feeling but this feels very soft. Anyhow, was wondering if anyone is familiar with this kind of brush, what knot it might be etc.

Attachments

• 20230518_183019.jpg
    20230518_183019.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230518_183405.jpg
    20230518_183405.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230518_183443.jpg
    20230518_183443.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
A pic would sure be helpful. I download pics to my download file, then click the "Attach files" button as I'm writing my thread on B & B which then lets me select the photo I want to use in the thread.
Thanks for the info. The brush came today and I have posted pics on this thread.

I would be surprised if your Star was as late as the 80s. The knot is almost certainly nylon.

I have a few vintage nylon brushes. I also have a Star that I re-knotted, sticking with boar.

L to R:
Ever-Ready, Esrkine, no name, Star
IMG_4911.jpeg

Both the E-R and the Erskine are labeled "NYLON".

I would be surprised if your Star was as late as the 80s. The knot is almost certainly nylon.

I have a few vintage nylon brushes. I also have a Star that I re-knotted, sticking with boar.

L to R:
Ever-Ready, Esrkine, no name, StarView attachment 1656546

Both the E-R and the Erskine are labeled "NYLON".
Nice selection of brushes. The knots definitely look like the Star I have. Interesting that it might pre-date the 80's.

Star was probably part of the Ever-Ready conglomeration (Gem, E-R, Treet, Star, Pal, Personna - razors, brushes, blades) by the time your brush was made. My impression is that nylon knots were a largely failed experiment in the late 40s and the 50s. I also have an Ever-Ready "Badgerlon" brush. It has a cosmetic thin outer ring of badger surrounding the main nylon knot.

Of my vintage nylon knots, the Erskine comes closest to functioning well. None of them perform anywhere close to a modern synthetic.

Concerning 'Star', from the web archive of Old School Shaving Brushes:

Founded by the Kampfe brothers, Frederick, Richard and Otto. They also made Kambro brushes.

The STAR name and trademark was first used by the Kampfes on June 1, 1880

Made in Brooklyn, New York

Star was probably part of the Ever-Ready conglomeration (Gem, E-R, Treet, Star, Pal, Personna - razors, brushes, blades) by the time your brush was made. My impression is that nylon knots were a largely failed experiment in the late 40s and the 50s. I also have an Ever-Ready "Badgerlon" brush. It has a cosmetic thin outer ring of badger surrounding the main nylon knot.

Of my vintage nylon knots, the Erskine comes closest to functioning well. None of them perform anywhere close to a modern synthetic.

Founded by the Kampfe brothers, Frederick, Richard and Otto. They also made Kambro brushes.

Interesting info on these brushes- the nylon going all the way back to the 40's and 50's. I'll be giving mine a whirl tomorrow and we'll see how it performs.

So I tried the Star brush today. To me it has too much backbone and is stiff compared to my modern synthetics. It wants to push the lather around rather than spread it if you know what I mean. That's not to say it is unusable, but I can see where it requires more fuss and finesse. For those of us that enjoy using vintage gear it will be in the rotation, and enjoyable to pair with my Star Model 100 razor from the late 40's through the 50's era.

Top Bottom