What's new

Star Safety Razor

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a possible purchase. I came across what appears to be a NOS gold colored three-piece Star razor in-box with a couple of boxes of blades priced at $20. I'm not familiar with this razor and was wondering how it compares with similar Gillettes as far as quality and shave. also, is $20 a reasonable price to pay?

Thank You

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a possible purchase. I came across what appears to be a NOS gold colored three-piece Star razor in-box with a couple of boxes of blades priced at $20. I'm not familiar with this razor and was wondering how it compares with similar Gillettes as far as quality and shave. also, is $20 a reasonable price to pay?

Thank You
These are nice razors, somewhat mild shavers...well worth 20 bucks free shipping
proxy.php

The Star DE is an under-appreciated razor for sure! Slightly more aggressive than a Gillette Tech and very well mannered - shaves more like a Super Speed than a Tech. The deep knurling on the handle makes it easy to hang on to. Given its condition, it is certainly worth the asking price!

Agree with the other posters. The plating may not be perfect out of the box. It seems shinier, but also a more yellowish gold. A good purchase, however.

Necro thread - I bought a Star DE razor and tried it out today. It is a sturdy and grippy razor. I found it to be significantly more aggressive than a Tech, and reminiscent of a flare tip if not a bit more aggressive (and also more aggressive with more blade feel than a Slim on 4, for example).

A nice razor, but it will take me a bit of getting used to as I prefer very mild razors. Definitely well worth trying.

Hi Guys,

Thank You

I have one of these, oddly I found it at an estate sale in an Auto-Strop tin box with Gillette blades. An anachronism if I ever saw one. Star predated Gillette, though most think Gillette began the safety razor revolution. Depending on who you ask, Star began the revolution, but others say different. The company now known as Personna claims to be the heir to the throne King Gillette usurped. Auto-Strop and Gillette had many battles over who had the rights to what designs back in the early days of safety razors. I get so confused, early info is crazy. I also have a 30's Somerset that looks much like the Star. Seems very minimal changes got patents in those days. I have a number of different models of Gillettes at various dates, but by far the best for resale are the early sixties adjustable fat boys. Why, I haven't yet figured out.

Update - I'm about 7-10 shaves in, and I'm enjoying this razor more. It doesn't feel as aggressive as it initially did, but it's still quiet effective. I also like the handle.

BTW the Star DE razor under discussion dates from 1946 to 1959 as near as I can tell. I love the Star DE. I consider it to be an improved Gillette Tech. If it is too mild it can be shimmed and/or use a Feather blade.

The star de is a really good razor. It has good weight, great grip, and is generally mild. The only thing you need to be careful for is making sure the threads on the cap are not damaged. It is a wear prone area on them.

The Star DE razor was an ASR product, the English ones have an aluminum handle and are thus a bit lighter with nickel plated heads. The gold-plated ones are heavier.

I have one that is heavy, all brass I think, and it looks to be all chrome plated. It's not super shiny chrome but the color does not look like nickel to me. Anyone else knows this version?

Top Bottom