What's new

Star Double Edge Razor

Some months ago I acquired a 1960s Star D/E razor online. For those of you with a knowledge of USA razor history, you will know GEM, Eveready and Star ultimately combined, about 1919, to form the American Safety Razor Corporation. However that company manufactured razors under those brands until well into the 1950s and, in the case of GEM, 1970s.

When I noticed this razor, a couple of things attracted me to it. First, it seemed well looked after - NOS. It truly is a beautiful looking implement. Second, the handle reminded me of the Eveready Streamline of 1930s and 1950s fame. Last, I had no idea Star made anything other than SEs. Let me tell you I loooooovvve razors which require a GEM blade. They suit my skin better than a DE. So, my thoughts ran to whether a Star DE could deliver the fab shaves I achieve from GEMs etc.

So, with no thought to the fact that I already have more razors than a well balanced person should, I pressed the button and, voila, it was on its way. It cost me more in postage to get it shipped from the United States to Australia than it did to purchase it.

This morning I shaved with it for the first time (see photo below). I must say, I am very impressed. BBS for all but my neck. Only a Blackland Sabre can produce that for me.

Three passes (WTG, XTG and ATG), a couple of touchups and I was on my way.

Some observations. My go to blade is a 7 o’clock Green. Today it was first use. I barely felt the blade all shave. Not a weeper or cut in sight. The shaving angle was very forgiving. I have been shaving with GEMs (Damskeene, Pushbutton and Featherweight mostly) for the last two months. However the different shaving angle seemed to come intuitively. There is a little overhang at the end of the cap but nothing to rip your nose off with. It is not a heavy tool by any means. The handle is about 50 gms sand the head about 20. But it seems heftier than it actually is. I suspect that is because so much of the weight is in the handle. It seemed very nicely balanced nevertheless. To the extent that any DE is in my rotation, this will make it for me.

It seemed more efficient than some Gillette techs I have used. It made me wonder why it did not last in the marketplace for long. I suppose, like others of its ilk, it did not survive the cartridge fad. A great shame. It is a lovely razor. I commend it to you.

Attachments

• 8427A457-EA2E-4FA4-8FCA-239653518449.jpeg
    8427A457-EA2E-4FA4-8FCA-239653518449.jpeg
    909.1 KB · Views: 188
Some months ago I acquired a 1960s Star D/E razor online. For those of you with a knowledge of USA razor history, you will know GEM, Eveready and Star ultimately combined, about 1919, to form the American Safety Razor Corporation. However that company manufactured razors under those brands until well into the 1950s and, in the case of GEM, 1970s.

When I noticed this razor, a couple of things attracted me to it. First, it seemed well looked after - NOS. It truly is a beautiful looking implement. Second, the handle reminded me of the Eveready Streamline of 1930s and 1950s fame. Last, I had no idea Star made anything other than SEs. Let me tell you I loooooovvve razors which require a GEM blade. They suit my skin better than a DE. So, my thoughts ran to whether a Star DE could deliver the fab shaves I achieve from GEMs etc.

So, with no thought to the fact that I already have more razors than a well balanced person should, I pressed the button and, voila, it was on its way. It cost me more in postage to get it shipped from the United States to Australia than it did to purchase it.

This morning I shaved with it for the first time (see photo below). I must say, I am very impressed. BBS for all but my neck. Only a Blackland Sabre can produce that for me.

Three passes (WTG, XTG and ATG), a couple of touchups and I was on my way.

Some observations. My go to blade is a 7 o’clock Green. Today it was first use. I barely felt the blade all shave. Not a weeper or cut in sight. The shaving angle was very forgiving. I have been shaving with GEMs (Damskeene, Pushbutton and Featherweight mostly) for the last two months. However the different shaving angle seemed to come intuitively. There is a little overhang at the end of the cap but nothing to rip your nose off with. It is not a heavy tool by any means. The handle is about 50 gms sand the head about 20. But it seems heftier than it actually is. I suspect that is because so much of the weight is in the handle. It seemed very nicely balanced nevertheless. To the extent that any DE is in my rotation, this will make it for me.

It seemed more efficient than some Gillette techs I have used. It made me wonder why it did not last in the marketplace for long. I suppose, like others of its ilk, it did not survive the cartridge fad. A great shame. It is a lovely razor. I commend it to you.
That's a nice razor. Model 100 I presume? I've been eyeing them in the last few days. But most of the ones I've seen are in bad shape. Especially the top cap since it's made of Zamac. You got lucky that you found a new one. Does yours have the Silver star logo on the head? I believe that the gold ones had the logo but the chrome ones did not. Could be a different year thing as well but that's what I've seen. Not much info out there about these razors!

Wal59, I echo your comments about the Star DE razor, Model 100, from 1946-1959. Coincidentally, I shaved with mine last week. To me the Star DE razor is a slightly improved Gillette Tech, in engineering, appearance, and in shaving efficiency.

Specifically, it has a beautiful non-slip handle. The coat hanger shaped safety guard reduces the likelihood of clogging. The pins are notched for a tighter fit and added stability. It also has a nice balance in the hand. The Star 100 is an underappreciated three-piece razor that is a personal fav.

That's a nice razor. Model 100 I presume? I've been eyeing them in the last few days. But most of the ones I've seen are in bad shape. Especially the top cap since it's made of Zamac. You got lucky that you found a new one. Does yours have the Silver star logo on the head? I believe that the gold ones had the logo but the chrome ones did not. Could be a different year thing as well but that's what I've seen. Not much info out there about these razors!
I’m yet to get to the bottom of what model it is. The seller simply identified it as 1960s. Santamariasteve reckons its 40s and 50s. Perhaps it’s earlier than I was led to believe. I’ll bow to better knowledge. No logo on the head of mine.

I’m yet to get to the bottom of what model it is. The seller simply identified it as 1960s. Santamariasteve reckons its 40s and 50s. Perhaps it’s earlier than I was led to believe. I’ll bow to better knowledge. No logo on the head of mine.
Looks to definitely be a Model 100! It would be hard to tell the year though. I just did some more digging and apparently the ones with the logos on the heads are later models. So I guess the color doesn't matter for that. That probably means you probably have an early one.
Bottom line is that you got a winner!:)

I was told that mine is an early to mid 50s based on the original box that it came with. I have had mine for a year and a half now, they seem to get talked about a bit then fade into obscurity with all the new razors and people finding rarer razors.

Be careful of the clear path to the blade corners, it's the only way to get cut with this razor, but it's one that has gotten me more than once! Specifically, make sure you lift fully if you want to move side to side. I know it sounds stupid, but it gets old when it's the only razor that has ever done this to me. I think it's because of how narrow the head is.

I was told that mine is an early to mid 50s based on the original box that it came with. I have had mine for a year and a half now, they seem to get talked about a bit then fade into obscurity with all the new razors and people finding rarer razors.

Be careful of the clear path to the blade corners, it's the only way to get cut with this razor, but it's one that has gotten me more than once! Specifically, make sure you lift fully if you want to move side to side. I know it sounds stupid, but it gets old when it's the only razor that has ever done this to me. I think it's because of how narrow the head is.
Thanks for the heads up mate. I’ll be less blase when I use it next.

There's also a Personna (clone?) version of this razor. I've always been interested about the Star and the Personna, but I was never able to find one cheap enough for me to pull the trigger one it and it's on the very bottom of my wish list. I wonder which one shaves better though.

Here's a picture of the Personna from the internet:

asdasdsads.jpg

I'm glad someone has started a thread on this.

Here is my British made PAL version, made in the 50's I think. The cap has PAL in capital letters.

Interesting to know the official designation from ASR was the Model 100.
IMG_20220820_161050831.jpgIMG_20220820_161256442.jpg

It's my understanding that ASR was competing with the Tech head-on with the Model 100, and introduced it from 1946, although it was in production to the early 60's in the UK.

They were made under several names, PAL, STAR and I think there are also Ever-Ready marked versions.

They sold well but eventually Gillette's massive marketing machine drove the little PAL/STAR from the market. It put up a good fight though, being in production for 15 years+.

I find it shaves somewhat better than my late 50's Tech. I think it's to do with the head design and the way it clamps the blade. It is a lovely little razor.

Glad this thread is giving it some attention and love.

Last edited:
The handle is about 50 gms sand the head about 20. But it seems heftier than it actually is. I suspect that is because so much of the weight is in the handle. It seemed very nicely balanced nevertheless.
I just noticed this part of your post @Wal59 in re-reading it.

Very interesting. That is a heavyweight!

My English made PAL version weighs somewhat under 30gms, and is lighter than my late 50's Alu Tech, which comes in at 30gms and some change.

It retailed at five Shillings and sixpence, from UK advertisments I have seen from the early-mid 50's. I can't reproduce them here due to copyright laws.

This is the same price as an English made FB Tech of 1948. I think that's a FB, please correct me if I am wrong. I am wondering if my PAL 100 is in fact late 40's.
proxy.php

The handle and base of my PAL example appears to be aluminium, the head cap alone being zinc.

It is akin to shaving with a bakelite, but it still outperforms the Tech with certain blades. I will have to experiment with blade choice though and be more 'scientific' about that speculation.

I have an English 40's FB Tech coming in the next week or so. When I can get a period correct handle for it I may do a shave off of the three different types.

Interestingly the Model 100 would have come out at around the time of the FB Tech, around 1946, and it was ASR's chosen design to compete with the Tech family of the period being produced.

A direct contemporary shave comparison would be useful and maybe informative.

Last edited:
I just noticed this part of your post @Wal59 in re-reading it.

Very interesting. That is a heavyweight!

My English made PAL version weighs somewhat under 30gms, and is lighter than my late 50's Alu Tech, which comes in at 30gms and some change.

It retailed at five Shillings and sixpence, from UK advertisments I have seen from the early-mid 50's. I can't reproduce them here due to copyright laws.

This is the same price as an English made FB Tech of 1948. I think that's a FB, please correct me if I am wrong. I am wondering if my PAL 100 is in fact late 40's.
proxy.php

The handle and base of my PAL example appears to be aluminium, the head cap alone being zinc.

It is akin to shaving with a bakelite, but it still outperforms the Tech with certain blades. I will have to experiment with blade choice though and be more 'scientific' about that speculation.

I have an English 40's FB Tech coming in the next week or so. When I can get a period correct handle for it I may do a shave off of the three different types.

Interestingly the Model 100 would have come out at around the time of the FB Tech, around 1946, and it was ASR's chosen design to compete with the Tech family of the period being produced.

A direct contemporary shave comparison would be useful and maybe informative.
Cheers Alum. Some fascinating razors mentioned there. Those light razors normally don’t appeal to me and yet I love the gem featherweight. Good luck with your studies!

I have an early Star 100, and I love that heavy handle. But the comment about the Zamak head is spot on. The gold plating is usually the first to go. The NOS acquisition shown above, with its pristine top plate, is a beautiful exception. The head on mine is totally silver colored. But then so is my head. Two peas in a pod.

The posts above concerning the Zamak heads on these made me take a closer look at my early Star 100. While strictly a cosmetic issue, that is the vulnerable area. I've posted a couple of pics here showing how and where my razor lost its color and how that loss is still apparently progressing. All on the Zamak head, mind you. The beautifully tooled handle itself is a Sherman tank. Remember this bad boy is over 70 years old.
IMG_0539 (1).jpg
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0543 (1).jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
68B1FACD-8B67-41E8-9FC0-1C2C921A7AFC.jpeg
B8C8F062-A02F-4080-81F1-3A327836713B.jpeg
9201DB77-A833-4683-BEE5-22EC737E3887.jpeg

A little late to this thread. My Star DE razor is exactly the same as @Crixus. Gold tone with total loss of colour on the top cap. Threads on the handle and top cap are okay, not great but it tightens up fine with a blade in it. A great razor though, I get good shaves from it with just about any blade.

My Star model 100 arrived today. It's in mint condition inside and out. Can't wait to try it out:

full
It’s a beauty! Let us know how you like AFTER a few shaves. It’s such a tight, compact little shaver that it may take several shaves to dial it in, depending what you are used to. I’m on the road this week, but my Star 100 is sitting beside me here in the hotel. Love that thing. Congrats and good luck with the razor.

Top Bottom