What's new

Star Double Edge Razor

First shave report with the Model 100!
Note: This is my personal opinion. As always YMMV!
First of all I have to emphasize that the Star blows the Tech right out of the water. They might look like similar designs in terms of head geometry but they're not. The similarity ends there!
Shaves nothing like a Tech (My Tech is a post war pre 1950 ball end).
My experience with the Tech hasn't been good (in comparison to my Super Speeds & adjustables).
It has absolutely no efficiency in my shaves. I've even tried several blades and nothing!
I'm a 2 pass shaver but with the Tech I've had to do 3 passes + touchups in order to get a decent DFS.
That means post shave irritation for me!
The Star:
I used a Gillette Platinum (Dark blue box)
2 pass WTG/XTG
Super balanced & excellent knurling on the handle.
The shave was incredibly smooth and super efficient.
Final result was a near BBS shave which I really didn't expect.
Like I said, the heads look practically the same but American Safety Razor did
some unseen magic with the Star. From the research I did, the Tech has .22 of blade gap
and the Model 100 is .23, not enough difference in my opinion to warrant such a different
result. But whatever!
Point is that it's different enough for me to put the Tech away or just sell it. It's obvious that the Tech
isn't for me.
A+ for the Star.
It's a wonderful and highly underrated razor!
LRod

Last edited:
Are all Star top caps Zamak? Even the ones with the Star logo on them?
As far as what I've researched, yes they're all Zamak! Apparently though, they must have been coated really well because most examples I've seen are in really good condition. My Model 100 is 60+ years old and the top cap looks brand new. The old Merkur's/Hoffritz seem to be the same. All their old razors that have Zamak top caps seem to last forever. I guess they made stuff to last!

Another British made PAL. Shaves very nicely with an Astra SP.

Screenshot from 2023-03-05 09-27-17.png

Unfortunately, I paid 49 dollars a few years ago for mine with hidden corrosion and rusty old blades! Yeah I know that was dumb, I am trying to laugh at myself. That darn presentation box and carefully staged photos got me!
Don't feel to bad. I paid $47 for just the razor. Its in great condition and I'm very happy with it. But still...inflation.:c9:

A Gent in England last November on Ebay (a very knowledgable collector) was selling a complete NOS carton of 6 US STAR 100's in original boxes with the original shop display carton and card display and setup instructions, all for £100!

It looked very late 40's-early 50's.

Does anyone know around the timespan my one might have been made?

View attachment 1626662

View attachment 1626663
Mid to late 1950's. British versions of the Star like PAL and the Personna shown (Interesting, never seen a British Personna before) were made a little longer, into the early 1960's I believe.

Heres' my British PAL
IMG_20220820_161050831.jpg

IMG_20220820_161256442.jpg

I have started a Star 100 owners club, as I think the designation was, over at Star 100 Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/star-100-owners-club.637736/

I'd really love to score one of the star shaped handle DEs. The common knurled one is awesome, so makes me want both. Very nice shakey

The Star is a great shaver. looking for the other handle.
will use it tomorrow and see if it has a wider shave angle than a tech. I only use a Gillette black in my techs so time to break out a Black.
Kailand09 do you prefer mild razors?

Top Bottom