What's new

Stando polska chors firstimpression

This nice brass razor arrived a few days ago, so I'll write a brief first impression
BF776848-7E4E-435D-8421-EF9EAF54466F.jpeg
8CA3A7AC-D876-47F1-8AEE-175A3B6B56BC.jpeg

Stando chors by Stando razors

(I think the manufacturer's name is stando polska or stando shaving accessories)

chors is the sun god in Slavic mythology.

I'm Japanese, so I'm not familiar with exotic deities, but it makes me feel sacred.

Specs

Length: about 98 mm

Weight of the head: 36 g

Handle weight: 68 g (Luna)

Handle diameter: 12 mm

Handle length: 90 mm

Blade gap: 1.30

Finish: Satin matte

The razor is delivered in a cool steel box and a nice fabric drawstring bag, a little more cushioning would be nice, but anyway, good presentation.

The first set came with a 95 mm Classic 2021BP handle, but it was a bit long.
3AA26018-2CD8-4117-BA7E-0BD89AF2186A.jpeg

I replaced it with the Luna handle that I use on my stando rod from the same manufacturer. Both handles have a matte satin finish so there is no fear of slipping.

Nice and precise construction. I would say the build is on par with the high end class.

I wish they would make a machine finish or polished version.

There was some metal debris in the threads of the handle, but once I removed it, it was smooth and rattle free.

RR's GC84p and Blutt BR1, and more recently Le Maurice have similar head construction.

Seems to be a strong clamp with a thin head.

The gap is quite large, looks like a lot of blade, but the exposure is only slightly positive.

41C45197-61A1-402E-9026-F2CDE47C0FA6.jpeg
C5A20564-9BA4-4B41-A93B-9163C68AADAE.jpeg
8A57457D-F2ED-4F59-A5B5-154CB8B75402.jpeg

I shaved my 2 day stretched beard last week with my base razor Blackbird

The blades I used were Personna Platinum and the soap was Formula-T

Of course it was a great shave!

This chors already shave today same conditions

DB285CBE-318D-4FCB-8DAC-C21220300A68.jpeg

I finished shaving.

Two passes seemed fine to me.

Since it was a test, we ended up with 3 passes and some touch ups.

I feel good about the perfect BBS.

It turned out like the glass that everyone says so well.

May need to respect large gaps, thin head is fine everywhere, may need to be careful with pimples and bumpy skin, but smooth, almost on autopilot.

I thought there would be little feedback because of the strong clamps, but there isn't and it makes a nice sound.

Some blade sensation, but not uncomfortable, just a nice accent.
A quick comparison with the Blackbird

The chors is more efficient than the Blackbird, but the smoothness level is slightly less than the autopilot of the Blackbird, and the feedback is comparable.

With these great results in the testing phase, it may become my #1 favorite double-edged razor once I find a blade that fits and learn a little.

Note that this one is brass, but the specs are the same, just different weight than the stainless steel.
Finally, take a look at stando polska's aggressive chart for reference.

I may buy another one of their double-edged razors that is milder
89EEE0C5-482C-4BC6-AD13-24C230692996.jpeg

Thanks for reading my bad English to the end!

Have a good shaving life!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have the SS Chors, it's an excellent razor and I even bought an extra handle for it, the "Svarga".

Most razors are named after slavic legends, gods etc.. As cat and OC lover I should finally buy the Cat's Claw! 😀

@ojisanbeer where did you find this really useful table/graphic? It's much appreciated, ty.

@Iridian
I got this good razor partly because of your post and recommendations, thanks!

This chart was presented to me by stando stan (it was a little wrong and I corrected it)

I'm also considering which one to buy next
I'm considering svarog or silesia and stando single edge, cat claws are nice and cute too😍

I also have the Stando Chors, as well as the Leschy (which is very similar), and the Single Edge (which is also calibrated at about the same level of efficiency and smoothness). They are all excellent razors and better priced than most other razors that are comparable for quality and effectiveness. The finish isn’t as refined as very high-end razors, but it is more than good enough to satisfy me and has a nice, grippy, satin-like feel, and the performance of the razors is certainly in the same league as any high-end razors.

For me I would only differ in your assessment in that I find the Blackbird a bit MORE efficient and LESS smooth. But it seems to be quite common that different people have very different assessments of the Blackbird, for some reason.

I consider these medium-high efficiency Stando razors all quite close to my top four razors - they are definitely top ten for me - and they are much less expensive (except for the Karve Overlander, which is a friendly price too). I would recommend them without hesitation.

For anybody who wishes to buy one, I recommend to use the Stando Polska website and a translator rather than buyng on Etsy. The prices are considerably lower on their website - perhaps partly due to the current weakness of the Zloty, but I suppose Etsy also takes a commission.

E88754EF-24D6-4173-95BA-E1F9B5EF46A5.jpeg

@Mr. Shavington
As for the comparison with Blackbird, maybe it has something to do with blade influence shaving style.....
Either way it's a good razor.
stando single edge is a beast of asylum Rx class, but if it's as good as vector OC, it needs to be replaced.

@Mr. Shavington
As for the comparison with Blackbird, maybe it has something to do with blade influence shaving style.....
Either way it's a good razor.
stando single edge is a beast of asylum Rx class, but if it's as good as vector OC, it needs to be replaced.
For me the Single Edge is a little more efficient than the Vector, but it is also smoother. I have to be a bit careful with my Vector to not irritate my skin. I like the Stando Single Edge better than the Vector, and about the same as the Executive Shaving Claymore Evolution. I do really enjoy and admire the ultra-slim design and looks of the Vector, though. I just think those other SE razors shave a bit more comfortably and are just as efficient.

I would say the Single Edge will feel and shave very similar to your Chors. If the Chors is right for you then the Single Edge will be too.

I do also have the Stando Rod SE, which is a milder, less efficient model. I didn’t like it as much. It’s not as efficient as I like, and the low blade exposure gives it a very narrow effective shaving angle, which frustrates me a bit.

I use a Rockwell 6s with a #3 shim. Which Stando brass razor would match my Rockwell which is considered mildly aggressive????

@Mr. Shavington
Thanks for the info.
I will consider stando single edge.
The stando rod is indeed mild, but with the Feather Super it shows great safety and efficiency!

Personal preference of course.

I also have the Stando Chors, as well as the Leschy (which is very similar), and the Single Edge (which is also calibrated at about the same level of efficiency and smoothness). They are all excellent razors and better priced than most other razors that are comparable for quality and effectiveness. The finish isn’t as refined as very high-end razors, but it is more than good enough to satisfy me and has a nice, grippy, satin-like feel, and the performance of the razors is certainly in the same league as any high-end razors.

For me I would only differ in your assessment in that I find the Blackbird a bit MORE efficient and LESS smooth. But it seems to be quite common that different people have very different assessments of the Blackbird, for some reason.

I consider these medium-high efficiency Stando razors all quite close to my top four razors - they are definitely top ten for me - and they are much less expensive (except for the Karve Overlander, which is a friendly price too). I would recommend them without hesitation.

For anybody who wishes to buy one, I recommend to use the Stando Polska website and a translator rather than buyng on Etsy. The prices are considerably lower on their website - perhaps partly due to the current weakness of the Zloty, but I suppose Etsy also takes a commission.

View attachment 1517017
Many thanks for this recommendation. Stando is the only high end razor I am currently interested in and I'm really glad to hear that people enjoy them. I am of course, a bit overwhelmed by the myriad options but I'm sure I'll find some place to start :)

Today I shaved my 2 day stretched beard with Gillette Platinum.
I'm a little surprised at the BBS, which is just perfect!
This razor might be a little blade selective.
The personna platinum was ok, but the feather was a little hard to handle.

I'll try a few more blades, but it's unlikely I'll get a better result than with the Gillette Platinum, great combo……
B8CBCF6D-55AD-42F6-83E2-F00F1E9C4881.jpeg

I also have the Stando Chors, as well as the Leschy (which is very similar), and the Single Edge (which is also calibrated at about the same level of efficiency and smoothness).
Hello.
Stando Leschy brass is back and I am thinking of buying it.....
Could you please tell me a little about it?
I am aware that the efficiency is probably a bit higher compared to chors, how does the smoothness compare?

Hello.
Stando Leschy brass is back and I am thinking of buying it.....
Could you please tell me a little about it?
I am aware that the efficiency is probably a bit higher compared to chors, how does the smoothness compare?
The Leschy and the Chors shave the same - I can’t really detect a difference in feel or efficiency, even though the heads look visually different in some ways (though the overall dimensions, clamping, and safety bar position seem to be identical). The Leschy has a scalloped safety bar and the Chors bar is smooth, so maybe that makes a slight difference, but I would say not enough to matter. If you have a preference for metal I’d suggest waiting for what you want to become available, but otherwise I don’t think it matters which of the two you get.

They are both very effective, medium-high efficiency razors, that feel smoother than most razors of equal efficiency. And they handle well and are well priced for what they are. I’m sure you would be very pleased with it.

I took a side-on pic of my Leschy (left) and Chors (right) so it’s easier to see the differences in the heads. As I say, I think the differences are pretty much cosmetic. Looking at them I would guess the Chors base plate might be slightly lower weight than the Leschy, if that matters. I think the Chors base plate design looks slightly nicer, but I wouldn’t care enough to choose one over the other at this price.

EDB9821A-CE23-468D-AAA7-52CAADB75F0C.jpeg

@Mr. Shavington
Thanks for the info.
I love scallops, but as far as these razors go, I like the chors head.
So I've decided to be happy with chors.

I am of the habit of not having too many razors.
So I'm thinking of leaving rod, chors, and one more razor.
I am thinking of keeping 3 razors in total.....

For me the Single Edge is a little more efficient than the Vector, but it is also smoother. I have to be a bit careful with my Vector to not irritate my skin. I like the Stando Single Edge better than the Vector, and about the same as the Executive Shaving Claymore Evolution. I do really enjoy and admire the ultra-slim design and looks of the Vector, though. I just think those other SE razors shave a bit more comfortably and are just as efficient.

I would say the Single Edge will feel and shave very similar to your Chors. If the Chors is right for you then the Single Edge will be too.

I do also have the Stando Rod SE, which is a milder, less efficient model. I didn’t like it as much. It’s not as efficient as I like, and the low blade exposure gives it a very narrow effective shaving angle, which frustrates me a bit.
How many razors do you have man? Just curious!

Top Bottom