What's new

Standard razor review and discussion.

I see threads about this razor popping every once in a while so I thought i'd start a review and discussion thread exclusively for it. I'm not paid by standardrazors or related to them in anyway.

Please feel free to add your reviews and thoughts(both positive and negative) to this thread.

A little background, after trying several razors(vintage/modern/aggressive/mild) I had come to a conclusion that the Edwin Jagger DE89 series gave me consistent and excellent shaves.
But to feed my RAD I was on the look out for a razor that would not give up on me(non-zamak). My only option at that time was :

1) Standard Razors
2) Weber Razors
3) Ikon razors

Weber Razors at that time were at the peak of their inconsistency and I was definitely not going give my money to Ikon. Standard razors looked like the only viable option. The reviews were all moderate-good and the reports of customer service were fantastic as well.

Now for the review(I have been using it for 6 months) :

Pros :

Razor Quality: The quality is top notch. It is made up of AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINIUM. Very modern looking razors. The finish on both variants is perfect. The blade aligns perfectly every single time. There is no play whatsoever. I had my own doubts about the grip but I'm happy to say that all my doubts were unwarranted. Excellent grip wet or dry. It is light weight razor but i can tell you that it is balanced very well.

Shave Quality: This razor is an absolute pleasure to use. Every shave with it has been a BBS. The audio feedback is crazy, the razors sings as it shaves. I would say its mid range aggressive. It wont cut you for every little lapse in concentration but you have to respect it. Very smooth as well. It may be light, but it'll mow down a weeks growth like hot knife through butter. I have never had a problem with clogging either.

Customer Service: After being burned by Merkur twice, this has become very important for me. From personal experience and from others reports I can confidently say that the folks at Standardrazors will take care of you no matter what. Jose replied to all my mails within an hour sometimes even in 15 minutes. Very happy with it.

$100_3349.jpg

$100_3350.jpg

Cons:

The only thing that i think someone might have a problem with is that the male thread is on the handle. I dont personally have a problem with this because I never mix and match handles but I can see how this would be a problem for someone who does. However the folks at B&B have found a way to overcome this.

$100_3356.jpg

Conclusion: Fabulous! I have difficulty holding back my enthusiasm for this razor. The fit, finish and shave is great and it would be a great addition to any shave den. I highly recommend it. I think anyone who is considering stainless steel razors should also consider this as well because it is equally good.

Here is a link to the website : http://standardrazors.com/
The raw retails for 69$ and the black retails for 79$. However if you are ready to wait, they have excellent offers. I'm yet to try the standard Base but it is on my post sabbatical list for sure.

Last edited:
What's the weight of the Standard Razor?

IMO balance is more important than overall weight, but I think the lightest razor I use on a regular basis is a Single Ring (50g or so), and that's probably the lightest I'm willing to go, although I do enjoy shaving with an aluminum Tech once in a while.

It's not that I prefer heavier razors, but as I said IMO balance is more important, and I don't necessarily mean an evenly balanced razor, I like head heavy razors. That's why I use all my vintage razors with their original handles.

Anyway, that looks like a nice razor. Thanks for the review. :thumbup1:

What's the weight of the Standard Razor?

IMO balance is more important than overall weight, but I think the lightest razor I use on a regular basis is a Single Ring (50g or so), and that's probably the lightest I'm willing to go, although I do enjoy shaving with an aluminum Tech once in a while.

It's not that I prefer heavier razors, but as I said IMO balance is more important, and I don't necessarily mean an evenly balanced razor, I like head heavy razors. That's why I use all my vintage razors with their original handles.

Anyway, that looks like a nice razor. Thanks for the review. :thumbup1:

It weighs 49g(plus or minus 2g) on my scale.

I agree that balance is more important than weight. IMO the standard razor is a very well balanced razor which is what makes it such an efficient razor.

As I mentioned in my above post, I, like you, use all my razors with their original handles.

Top Bottom