What's new

Standard Razor brand razors’ aggressiveness from 1 to 10?

Standard Razor brand razors’ aggressiveness from 1 to 10?

• (6.0+) This razor is more aggressive than those below

• (5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models

• (5.0) Above The Tie M2

• (4.5) (no reference razor of high confidence)

• (4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1

• (3.5) (no reference razor of high confidence)

• (3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)

• (2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89

• (2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C)

• (1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)

• (1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
From personal experience, how aggressive are Standard Razor brand razors?

(6.0+) This razor is more aggressive than those below
(5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models
(5.0) Above The Tie M2
(4.5) (no reference razor of high confidence)
(4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1
(3.5) (no reference razor of high confidence)
(3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)
(2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89
(2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C)
(1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)
(1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)

With what razor blade?
Please assume that each razor is used with an "average blade". The rational is that this poll will result in a summary something along the lines of: "usually the average Razor X is more (or equally) aggressive than/to the average Razor Y for the average shaver" ... so we probably need to avoid a ranking that is dependent upon one specific blade.

Can't see the poll?
If you are using Tapatalk or a similarly incompatible browser/reader, and you do not see the interactive poll above (with checkboxes), please feel free to reply to this thread with a one line comment like, "My Vote: Razor X is more aggressive to me".

Don't vote twice!
Please do NOT vote in both ways (reply and interactive checkboxes) on the same poll. However, if you accidentally do vote in both ways, please reply with an additional comment to help remind me to remove your comment-reply vote from the final manual tally.

Reminder:
Even if you already agree with the existing results ... please vote to increase our confidence in the poll!

Why this poll?
This poll is part of a series of polls towards averaging out the subjective experiences of numerous shavers, through model-by-model comparison polls, into a list of Currently-Manufactured DE Razors Ranked According to User-Polled Aggressiveness on a Scale of 1 to 10.

This poll will be open for only 30 days. Results will be added to the aggressiveness list in the “Buyer's Guide for Currently-Manufactured DE (Safety) Razors” in B&B’s Wiki.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Shawn

So, is this poll overly complex? Can this format be modified to make it better? Or should I go back to model-by-model comparisons of X and Y razors? Thoughts?

I find my Standard to be milder than my Merkur 41C, but more effective (i.e. gives a closer shave) than my ATT H2. Where would the Standard fit in the aggressiveness scale?

I find my Standard to be milder than my Merkur 41C, but more effective (i.e. gives a closer shave) than my ATT H2. Where would the Standard fit in the aggressiveness scale?
This is an issue for me, too. Not necessarily those two razors, but the idea.

I also would say the Standard is just about impossible to cut yourself with, though easy enough (with pressure) to create irritation.

In the past, I've left the definition of aggressiveness up to the people voting in the polls. I guess the question is if this razor is an especially-efficient mild razor? Or is it an especially-safe-and-comfortable aggressive razor? I guess I'm inclined to go with especially-efficient mild razor ... access to the blade (and ability to cut yourself) seems the primary aspect of aggressiveness to me, but I'm not sure if most people agree....

I've also heard this type of question applied to the Feather AS-D2, the upcoming RazoRock Stealth Slant, and LA Shaving's new BBS-1.

The Feather AS-D2 being a 1.5 on the scale I think adds weight to the especially-efficient mild razor. It might also be that the reason the AS-D2 is a half point above Weishi is due to its extra efficiency. So, perhaps ability to cut skin is the primary factor over efficiency? Perhaps a good recommendation for these situations would be to use access/exposure to the blade as the 1 through 10 determiner, and efficiency in cutting hair as a fine tuning determiner perhaps adding 0.5 to 2 points?

Note: I'm NOT wanting to poll by a 2-Axis Efficiency vs Comfort approach at this time. It's a great idea, but some members have been annoyed by the number of polls that we've already had, and others already ignore the Aggressiveness Polls because they find them too confusing....

That said, I've also given serious thought to listing out all of the currently manufactured razors into two polls:

1. From personal experience, which aggressive razors feel more comfortable than their aggressiveness rating would suggest?

2. From personal experience, which mild razors are more efficient than their aggressiveness rating would suggest?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Shawn

Last edited:
After my last post, if anyone would like to change their vote, just post your new ranking to this thread, and I'll reconcile the posts with the votes after the poll is finished.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn -- I like the way you think. I guess I differ in that I think potential for irritation or razorburn (not just potential for cuts) plays into "aggressive" , and with that thought in mind, this is a VERY forgiving aggressive razor. (I believe I was the the 4.5 vote, trying to sort this out). If you want to go with potential for cuts, my vote should be switched to a 3 or so. I'm not attached, either way.

I guess I differ in that I think potential for irritation or razorburn (not just potential for cuts) plays into "aggressive"

No, I totally agree, I just worded my description poorly. Instead of "cut skin" it should probably be as you suggest: "cut or irritate skin".

I'll change your vote to 3.0, as per your request.

Cheers!
Shawn

Well no.... I was saying 3 if we were isolating "potential for cuts" into aggressiveness... I think the razor is very likely to cause irritation if you have a heavy hand.... so 4.5 was with that consideration. But .... no worries. Number value is tough on this particular razor.

Well no.... I was saying 3 if we were isolating "potential for cuts" into aggressiveness... I think the razor is very likely to cause irritation if you have a heavy hand.... so 4.5 was with that consideration. But .... no worries. Number value is tough on this particular razor.

Cool. 4.5 it is. I had misunderstood that the 4.5 included extra points for efficiency, but I understand now.

@Toddster64: for your 6+ vote, how high would you rank its aggressiveness? 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, or higher?

Also, for the Standard Razor brand razor, I think we're defining aggressiveness as its tendency to "cut/scrape or irritate skin". "1.0" would likely mean that it is very forgiving of poor technique and unlikely to irritate skin, while a "10.0" would require very good technique and very light pressure to avoid irritation.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Shawn

Looking at the all over the chart responses I'm wondering if all the users are tightening the cap adequately? This razor compresses the blade more than we're used to when fully tightened.

Looking at the all over the chart responses I'm wondering if all the users are tightening the cap adequately? This razor compresses the blade more than we're used to when fully tightened.

If I count Toddster64's vote of "6+" as a flat "6" then with the current six votes we average out to about 3.92 (which I would then round up to 4.0).

The results here are very scattered. The Gillette Tech poll (which includes all the years and countries of origin under the Tech brand) is less scattered than the Standard Razor so far....

:badger: The Brand Satisfaction Survey for Standard Razors has 19 votes ... hopefully this one can get more than 6?

I frankly don't understand the poll. How were the numerical value/brand/model classifications determined? What if one polled doesn't agree with the classifications?

Last edited:
I frankly don't understand the poll. How were the numerical value/brand/model classifications determined? What if one polled doesn't agree with the classifications?

The numeric scale was derived from the 40+ polls that were organized around this listing:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Here is the list of Razor X vs. Razor Y aggressiveness polls:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Mode..._Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness#Closed_polls

The Standard Razor poll above is a new experiment intended to fit additional razors into the 10 point scale with fewer polls and fewer votes.

The razors listed in the Standard Razor poll as reference points for 1.0 to 5.5 scale above are results of relatively higher confidence. For example, from a series of polls comparing the EJ89 razor to other razors, I have averaged/calculated out an average aggression number of 2.5. The polls involved had a relatively more responses, and so its ranking is considered to be of (again relatively) high confidence.

Does that answer your question(s)?

Cheers,
Shawn

Top Bottom