What's new

Stand Alone Soap - Face Nanny?

I’ve improved. Better technique, better razors, brushes etc, but I would like to move up in the soap department. I’ve always used a preshave, mostly proraso white. I found I needed the protective qualities to keep blade irritation on my skin to a minimum. I think I’ve improved enough that I would like to cut this step out of my routine...staring today. I have some good quality soaps, but what I ask of you are some suggestions of the best soaps that can stand alone in slickness, cushion, glide etc. Soaps that need no help once or ever to keep your face protected til the BBS is attained. They all profess this ability, but you know that isn’t true. Let me know the names of these Florence Nightengales of the soap world.
...and it always helps if they smell really nice too.

Last edited:
I just got a mikes Hungarian Lavender and had my first shave with it. Wonderful to shave with. I tried to get some more, but all the flavours I wanted were sold out.

Ariana & Evans (their newest base, Kaizen, will be released to general public soon)
Zingari Man Sego Base
Barrister and Mann Excelsior or Soft Heart soap bases
Declaration Grooming Milksteak (mostly sold out at Maggard)
Wholly Kaw Siero or Buffala bases
Murphy & McNeil Kodiak base
Southern Witchcrafts (all vegan)
Catie's Bubbles Luxury Cream Soap base
Grooming Dept, but not up on newer bases

some suggestions of the best soaps that can stand alone in slickness, cushion, glide etc
By this, I assume you want shave performance on the skin and not post-shave performance? If true, then I believe you will find so many modern soaps can satisfy this need. The marketing battle these days appears to be about post-shave needs.

For me and judging solely on the shave performance, Martin de Candre and Haslinger are hard to beat. I'm also a big fan of Murphy and McNeil (Kodiak or Aon base) and Stirling Sheep (or any of their limited mutton tallow-based soaps).

Central Texas soaps is a fantastic value for your money 13 bucks for about 5 oz. very slick good cushion and not drying.

Southern witchcrafts, grooming dept and Wholly Kaw and siliski are absolutely top shelf. Most of the artisans are pretty damn good

By this, I assume you want shave performance on the skin and not post-shave performance
Well, both if it’s available. I guess I’m looking for soaps that provide an excellent shave experience and still offer a good natural skin healthy list of ingredients. I’m usually pretty careful in checking the list of ingredients. I have a few pretty nice ones, but there’s just so much out there. You can find soaps with a really healthy set of ingredients, but when you get it, it just doesn’t perform on the actual shaving part. There are some pretty costly soaps out there that just don’t live up to anything except their name.
i did just order some BM Soft Heart a couple hours ago, and Cool. Generally I’ve found that creams don’t perform as well as soaps. Some are pretty good, but to me they are always missing something.

I just got a mikes Hungarian Lavender and had my first shave with it. Wonderful to shave with. I tried to get some more, but all the flavours I wanted were sold out.
If you haven't already, try the Razor Company...

They usually have many Mike's in stock and offer free shipping for $10+ orders.

Mike's makes amazing soap, albeit in limited number of scents. For the price, though, it's a steal.

If you haven't already, try the Razor Company...

They usually have many Mike's in stock and offer free shipping for $10+ orders.

Mike's makes amazing soap, albeit in limited number of scents. For the price, though, it's a steal.
I’m in Canada. Ordering from the US is financially disadvantageous.

If you’re on a budget I can understand the question butttttt just about any soap above the $16 range will work and will have its followers. I’ve recently been interested in Shannon’s Soaps. I’ve never tried em but they look nice.
A few other questions could help too. Would you like a matching AS, balm or splash? Do you want a one off or something you can rebuy in the future? Classic scent? Wild? No scent options? Vegan? Tallow? Duck? Bear? Just to name a few.

Top of the Chain might be good for ya. They have many brands. Even DG on hand.
That’s where I get most of my soaps. It’s just a matter of grabbing the ones you want before there sold out, then you have to hope they get that flavour again. I’m expecting three packages from them tomorrow, got some good ones on the way.

Ariana & Evans (their newest base, Kaizen, will be released to general public soon)
Zingari Man Sego Base
Barrister and Mann Excelsior or Soft Heart soap bases
Declaration Grooming Milksteak (mostly sold out at Maggard)
Wholly Kaw Siero or Buffala bases
Murphy & McNeil Kodiak base
Southern Witchcrafts (all vegan)
Catie's Bubbles Luxury Cream Soap base
Grooming Dept, but not up on newer bases
I second all of these soaps, best performers in my arsenal..

Tallow and steel are sold out of everything.
I know where all the bodies are buried but sometimes they’ve all been dug up.
Well not “everything” they still have a few wears for sale.
Rainforest II soap
Boreal collection
Madagascar collection
Maya collection

Top Bottom