What's new

Stale bread

In a futile effort to lose a few pounds I have been eating very little bread. And now I am craving crostini/bruschetta.

(Not being Italian, to me they are very similar, with crostini being smaller, thinner.)

Any favorite, unusual or unique toppings you recommend?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Another one...

I've made an herb spread with Robiola (or similar) cheese. Nice spread for crostini. Or, mix in some jam, or sun-dried tomatoes. Sky's the limit.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
An olive tapenade is tough to beat. There's also nothing wrong with just rubbing a garlic clove on there, drizzling a little EVOO, and sprinkling a bit of good salt.

Doak's garlic rub and oil drizzle, slice of rare roast beef, piece of roasted red pepper and parmesan shaving. Have also used pea sprouts in place of the pepper.

Triple creme brie, arugula & blackberries, drizzle of honey and supposed to be lavender flowers but i was fresh out.

Mortadella, pepperoncini.

Cream cheese, smoked salmon, pickled red onion, black & white sesame seeds, chives.
dave

Last edited:
Classic chicken liver pate, I forget what they call it in Firenze where I first tried it. Now the mrs makes a good version... must get her onto it at the weekend now you make me think of it!!

Awesome ideas! Thank you.

My usual has been a combo of diced tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, EVOO, basil.

Gained a pound reading this thread.

With my stale bread, i use for french toast. dip it in egg batter any cook it, the egg rehydrates it and its good, also I fully dry bread like wheat or white bread in the oven, put slices on cookie sheet put on oven to 150 , turn it off and let it dry, check and flip it and do again not to let it get too hot to brown just enuf to dry, then i break it into a gallon zip lock bag, and using a rolling pin roll it into bread crumbs for frying, meat loafs what have you.
You can also do the same by cut the bread into cubes and dry, then season it with spices and parmesian cheese what have you , flavored croutons for salads, soups etc, big cost savings.

Top Bottom