What's new

Stainless vs carbon steel, which do you prefer.

Just curious as to which type of steel you prefer, carbon or stainless, and why. Stainless seems like a better choice for longevity, but is it really harder to hone, and does it require honing more frequently? What do you think?

Well I have around 40 or so razors in my collection, and of that number exactly 2 are stainless, so I guess my preference would be for carbon steel =). With that said, my 2 stainless razors don't seem to be any harder to hone than any of my others, and hold their edges well. There are carbon steel razors that can be a pain to hone. High carbon Swedish steel that's been tempered diamond hard comes to mind =). But once you get a good edge... Wow!

If you have your eye on a stainless from a good maker I say go for it!

I like either steel for a blade with a slight preference towards stainless steel for it rust resistance. No it is not rust proof. I have not found a huge difference between the two steels as far as honing and holding an edge goes. Stainless steel has been used in making straight razor blades since the 1920s iirc so they have the process down pat by now.

Bob

Aside from a couple few Chinese blades, I only have one Henckel Inox which I used for the first time tonight. I don't know what the difference is in the steel, but I was able to coax out a better edge on the Henckel. I will probably butter-knife a KY and give it the full business to see if I've just gotten better at honing since I did them, or if it is the steel. I have finally a set routine that is being pretty consistent. (and giving me a wicked case of honers mange on my left arm)

I have many inox or rostfrei blades and I can't say I like them any more or less than blades with a higher carbon content. On some, the honing characteristics are a little different, but I don't think about it, ever. Hone until you get the edge you're after. I will say, I worry a little less about tarnish and rust on the inox/rostfrie blades.

I only have one and beauty of a friodur 72 in micarta it is.

I have started to really like the resistance it offers. As much as I love carbon, once you have so many blades and tools made from it you can fall behind in maintenance.

Most modern carbon steel are not that different in feel from the stainless steel.
However, some vintage do have a much softer feel.
An old sheffield, or the best example of soft steel that come to mind for me is the original carbon steel Opinel (Later Opinel models were not really made by Opinel, but instead came from Thiers are more mainstream).

I've got about half a dozen stainless and the rest carbon. Pros and cons of both. I don't really prefer one over the other.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My only 'modern' razor is a stainless Dovo. Takes and holds an edge well but not near as 'soft' of a shave as my better Solingens.

I own both types, both new and vintage. I really can't tell any difference between them when it comes to honing or shaving. Very old carbon razors though can be softer in my experience, but they are not too common.

In short; No difference.:001_smile

Stainless. It's easier to maintain, especially after honing it and a 10 minute soak in Barbicide (has anti-corrosion properties) prior to storage = no rust.

I have always preferred carbon to stainless for both razors and knives, believing carbon is a touch easier to sharpen but this is more applicable to older blades. Rust has never been a problem for me although discolouration has occurred on some of my blades, possibly from acidic soaps. As a user, not a collector, I rather like patina.

Got some Inox blades. Honing has never been an issue but the feeling on the skin, at least mine, is different from a carbon steel razor. A bit stiffer.

Some of them are excellent by the way. My recommendation

- Puma Inox
- Böker Arbolito Inox
- Efendi Stainless

Top Bottom