What's new

stainless vs carbon steel straight razors

I kept at it. I think this is day 5 now.
FYI this has got to be the worst razor in the world. Its a Sweeney Todd replica from china. Nice big razor with nice metal scales. I think I have it as sharp as its going to ever get.
I think you can get a pretty decent edge on SS if you keep at it. And once you get it right it will shave ok.
And the edge is harder without a doubt as is the metal.

Anyway this is what I had to do. First as its a wedge type razor. I had to hollow grind it. Yes I used an angle grinder on a gig to do that.
Then I had to play with the spine thickness. If nothing but to get it flat as it was not flat. I landed up with a spine off 3.9mm. After that I hit it with 90 grit belt (As I don't own a belt sander I use stuck the belt to a flat stone) and went at it. And worked my way up from 90 to 1000 grit and then switched to leather.
Would I do this again. Probably not. But my driving logic is that if all the high end razors are SS then it must work. And if I cant get it to Im doing something wrong. I will now probably buy a 600 GD in ss and try that.
Cause Im feed up with all my good razors turning into rust balls. Even though I dry and coat them with Petroleum Jelly. There are some deep pits forming. BTW it was your GD competition that first drew me to this site.

Spine thickness need not be uniform. But I still think they spine needs to be flat or straight which most of the china junk is not. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sounds like what you got was a RSO. Razor Shaped Object, not designed for actual use as a razor. We see that a lot. Most are made from steel that simply is not suitable for a razor at all. I suspect all of the "Sweeney Todd" razors are in that category.

Top Bottom