What's new

Stainless surprise...

Good Morning,

In the last few weeks I have really enjoyed using a SR every day and have expanded my collection.

I found out quickly that I prefer a 6/8 size and weight. Also that the definition of ‘shave ready’ is very loose and I have quickly learnt how to hone and finish new purchases for a super sharp edge.

I have been reading with interest about the differences between carbon and inox- and decided to try a J.A Henckels Friodur 6/8 72 1/2 hollow.

On receipt I would say it was ‘Butter Ready’ and not shave ready so I honed it. 3000, 8000 on whetstones then finished on LM purple welsh slate followed by a good strop. Took a little longer than a carbon razor.

The edge immediately appears to be not as zingy or super sharp when doing HHT or treetop. However the shave immediately proves otherwise and the blade is super smooth yet super efficient on my tough beard. I am seriously impressed.

Not tried inox? Give it a go!

02B26368-DF80-48BA-9A6E-B194EB84487C.jpeg A562DAB4-46B3-497E-8FA6-D1E9DA2415D4.jpeg

I started wet shaving because of sensitive skin, and I quickly suspected that stainless steel blades, for whatever reason, leave my skin worse than carbon blades - in DEs I generally use the "Treet Black Beauties" which are carbon.

This was confirmed when I switched to straight shaving & honing about 4 years ago. Whenever I come across stainless SRs, inspite of their often being so handsome and desirable, they just leave my skin on queer street. I never learn and keep trying tho' , (^_-)

I started wet shaving because of sensitive skin, and I quickly suspected that stainless steel blades, for whatever reason, leave my skin worse than carbon blades - in DEs I generally use the "Treet Black Beauties" which are carbon.

This was confirmed when I switched to straight shaving & honing about 4 years ago. Whenever I come across stainless SRs, inspite of their often being so handsome and desirable, they just leave my skin on queer street. I never learn and keep trying tho' , (^_-)

I can completely understand where your coming from in regards to DE blades, every blade is different to everyone in different razors, however there has to be some other variable going on when it comes to straights. What types of edges have you tried on SS straights and who honed them for you? In my experience inox blades do take longer to sharpen than carbon steel so if whomever is honing them progress to quickly the resulting edge will not be there. If you still have one I’d recommend sending it out to @Doc226 or @Gamma and seeing how a truly shave ready edge in a SS straight feels.

I can completely understand where your coming from in regards to DE blades, every blade is different to everyone in different razors, however there has to be some other variable going on when it comes to straights. What types of edges have you tried on SS straights and who honed them for you? In my experience inox blades do take longer to sharpen than carbon steel so if whomever is honing them progress to quickly the resulting edge will not be there. If you still have one I’d recommend sending it out to @Doc226 or @Gamma and seeing how a truly shave ready edge in a SS straight feels.
I've been honing razors for about three and a bit yrs now - often do two a day, or try to. I've experimented a lot with pastes, film, wide variety of synthetic stones, a wider variety of naturals. Probably done around 70 razors in that time, so several hundred honing sessions, at least. I know SS can take a little longer, though - all things equal - I've rarely come across a Solingen stainless that takes as long as a Swedish or Japanese carbon steel.

However, even if I was a beginner that had only done a few blades, then that would still not explain the variance, I don't think. If I didn't know what shave ready was or felt like, then that would mean I would have poor results from carbon aswellas stainless, surely.
(and anyway, Keith hates honing stainless blades, lol :D )

Last edited:
I wasn’t insinuating that you can’t hone, have little experience, or don’t know what “shave ready” is.

What I am saying, and I have done this myself, is that sometimes we encounter a blade that despite all efforts does not give a good shave. I have taken that blade and had it sent out to a honemeister and explained what progressions I have tried and the results those progressions have given me. Upon getting the blade back the shave was spectacular. Thanks to their advice I’m can now replicate that edge on that blade.

Allowing others more knowledgeable than ourselves to help us out gives us a new perspective on things and leads to learning new skills and techniques ultimately becoming better at our our skills.

I wasn’t insinuating that you can’t hone, have little experience, or don’t know what “shave ready” is.

What I am saying, and I have done this myself, is that sometimes we encounter a blade that despite all efforts does not give a good shave. I have taken that blade and had it sent out to a honemeister and explained what progressions I have tried and the results those progressions have given me. Upon getting the blade back the shave was spectacular. Thanks to their advice I’m can now replicate that edge on that blade.

Allowing others more knowledgeable than ourselves to help us out gives us a new perspective on things and leads to learning new skills and techniques ultimately becoming better at our our skills.
Ok.
I'm not saying that I cannot get a stainless blade to shave, and give a good smooth shave in terms of "slicing" and "glide" and all the rest of it.
I'm saying that my skin generally reacts - afterwards - to a stainless shave where it does not with a carbon one.

Ok.
I'm not saying that I cannot get a stainless blade to shave, and give a good smooth shave in terms of "slicing" and "glide" and all the rest of it.
I'm saying that my skin generally reacts - afterwards - to a stainless shave where it does not with a carbon one.

I can believe it as allergies are more common than people think- my Mother has an allergy to tin and certain alloys that can make her skin sore and red.
A work colleague cannot wear protective latex gloves because of irritation.

I can believe it as allergies are more common than people think- my Mother has an allergy to tin and certain alloys that can make her skin sore and red.
A work colleague cannot wear protective latex gloves because of irritation.
It might be the nickel content of stainless steel.
I seem to remember years back someone with dermatological experience saying that it was probably the nickel content in SS blades that could cause irritation.

I'm not the only member who has made this 'carbon is kinder on my skin than stainless" assertion in relation to both DE & SE blades, Marcus (he of the kamisori / Wardonia threads) has said it too. I may be the only one when it comes to SRs tho'. I'll ask him.

Ok.

At the end of the day all that matters is what works for you.

Top Bottom