What's new

Stainless Steel vs. Titanium

Is there any difference in long term use of Stainless Steel vs Titanium razors? Is one more likely to show any kind of wear, damage, rust, mineral buildup, scratches, dings in long term ?

I know Brass is good for long term but I'm not crazy about the whole "patina" thing. I want stuff that will hold up for the super long run and clean up good as new if I take reasonable care of it.

Also, has anyone noticed any difference in the grades of Stainless Steel that some razor companies claim to use ? Should i look for one grade over another or is it just a bunch of hooey to make it sound superior when it's all basically the same stuff (Kind of like how "Surgical grade Stainless steel" doesn't really mean anything other stainless steel)?

never used a titanium razor but have experience with stainless steel. SS can be susceptible to 'tea staining' if you allow water to remain on the razor over the long term. I always give my razors a really quick pull apart and wipe down after each use so wont be an issue.

ve experience with stainless steel. SS can be susceptible to 'tea staining' if you allow water to remain on the razor over the long term. I always give my razors a really quick pull apart and wipe down after each use so wont be an issue.

I've seen lots of photos of old razors with that "Tea Staining". Does it happen only on razors that have the tight knurling patterns, or also on razors without knurling (poor handle grip)

Titanium is lighter, stronger (when alloyed) than steel and more expensive. The highest grade steel is stronger than titanium alloys, but at this level it won’t matter.

A well made SS razor should outlive you, and will. Look at all the 100 year old razors guys here are still using.

I have no male offspring; after I go I’ll kick my stuff to my nephews if they want it, and it’ll still be viable.

That said, if you want to go titanium and can afford it, why not?

Brass is usually plated with another metal such as nickel. You would not get patina with plated brass. Most older vintage Gillettes are plated brass. These have endured for decades with reasonable care.

Stainless steel alloys are misnamed. This material would be better named corrosion-resistant. It can stain, it can corrode under some circumstances, such as chemical attack or galvanic corrosion. It is fine as a razor material, but no panacea. It can be more expensive mainly because it is more difficult to work with during manufacturing.

Titanium alloy is about 60% lighter than steel. It has very good corrosion resistance and strength. It is a much more expensive material than stainless steel. It can be difficult to work with during manufacturing. A good material, but overkill for a razor, IMHO. More typically used for things like aircraft engine parts that must be lightweight and endure severe service.

I've seen lots of photos of old razors with that "Tea Staining". Does it happen only on razors that have the tight knurling patterns, or also on razors without knurling (poor handle grip)

i think its just due to leaving the razor wet after shaving.. if you take it apart and dry it quickly you will never get any staining, only takes couple of mins

There are many different grades of stainless steel. None are "rust proof" only rust resistant. Stainless steel contains chromium which oxidizes to form a corrosion resistant layer on the surface of the steel. Stainless must have a minimum of 10% chromium to be considered stainless. The higher the chromium content, the greater the corrosion resistance. Other alloy metals such as nickel, molybdenum, manganese, silicon, vanadium and carbon can be used to impart specific properties to the steel.

Stainless steel straight razors, razor blades, and knives are made from a steels with chromium content on the lower end of the range such as ANSI series 400 steels. If there is too much chromium in the steel, it will not take and hold a sharp edge. Thus, while knives might be made from stainless steel, they will discolor if not dried properly.

Stainless steel DE razor heads and handles are often made from ANSI series 300 stainless steels. Depending upon specific grade, these steels have 8-10.5 percent nickel and 18-20 percent chromium making them highly resistant to corrosion. Higher end versions are suitable for use in corrosive environments such a marine use. Common grades are 303, 304, 308, and 316. There is a version of 316 stainless called 316L that is a low-carbon version that is softer and easier to machine. Sometimes the maker of the razor will state the type of steel used. I know that Karve uses 303 stainless and Timeless uses 304. The Edwin Jager 3ONE6 stainless razor is produced from 316. Carbon Shaving and Stirling use 316L. Any of these steels should last a lifetime if not mistreated.

The biggest difference between titanium and stainless razors is going to be the weight. The density of titanium is 56% of the density of steel. Thus, titanium alloy is the better choice if you like a lightweight, easily maneuverable razor. I you like the heft of a heavier razor, then stainless steel is a better choice. Personally, I like heavier razors and have no desire to purchase one made from titanium. However, other love them.

Price. Right now I am completely satisfied with my stainless razor. But in the spirit of 007, never say never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many different grades of stainless steel. None are "rust proof" only rust resistant. Stainless steel contains chromium which oxidizes to form a corrosion resistant layer on the surface of the steel. Stainless must have a minimum of 10% chromium to be considered stainless. The higher the chromium content, the greater the corrosion resistance. Other alloy metals such as nickel, molybdenum, manganese, silicon, vanadium and carbon can be used to impart specific properties to the steel.

Stainless steel straight razors, razor blades, and knives are made from a steels with chromium content on the lower end of the range such as ANSI series 400 steels. If there is too much chromium in the steel, it will not take and hold a sharp edge. Thus, while knives might be made from stainless steel, they will discolor if not dried properly.

Stainless steel DE razor heads and handles are often made from ANSI series 300 stainless steels. Depending upon specific grade, these steels have 8-10.5 percent nickel and 18-20 percent chromium making them highly resistant to corrosion. Higher end versions are suitable for use in corrosive environments such a marine use. Common grades are 303, 304, 308, and 316. There is a version of 316 stainless called 316L that is a low-carbon version that is softer and easier to machine. Sometimes the maker of the razor will state the type of steel used. I know that Karve uses 303 stainless and Timeless uses 304. The Edwin Jager 3ONE6 stainless razor is produced from 316. Carbon Shaving and Stirling use 316L. Any of these steels should last a lifetime if not mistreated.

The biggest difference between titanium and stainless razors is going to be the weight. The density of titanium is 56% of the density of steel. Thus, titanium alloy is the better choice if you like a lightweight, easily maneuverable razor. I you like the heft of a heavier razor, then stainless steel is a better choice. Personally, I like heavier razors and have no desire to purchase one made from titanium. However, other love them.

Fantastic post, thank you for explaining! I have a very clear idea of it now. Titanium always seems to hold a "cool factor" in my mind (and maybe other people too) because I often see it used in hi-tech industrial purposes . But I agree with you, I think I'd rather have the extra weight of steel in a razor and the lower weight of Titanium in my jet engine.

im going through this same decision and although know that solid brass will change color over time .. it seems to be an ideal metal otherwise... thoughts?

Great explanation!!

My take is that SS or titanium are ‘luxury’ materials that are overkill for use in a razor. I appreciate the workmanship and luxury!

Plus, I am saving $ that otherwise might go towards a sports car or bamboo fly rod!! :a29:

I think in the end it's going to depend on what you place value on and personal preference. There are good and bad examples of razors in different materials all over the B&B forums.
Many years ago I did some road cycling. Tried different bike frames and settled on Titanium. I loved the way it handled. Would that experience lead me to buy a Titanium razor? Probably not. I checked one high end manufacturer and their titanium razor is $40 more than their SS model. Not that much of a difference for a high end product.
Besides my DE89 and Merkur Futur all my other razors are stainless steel. They all give me a great shave. I just prefer the look, feel and heft of my SS ones.

I've owned many razors in stainless steel as well as titanium, including the very same model razor in both metals. Some will tell you that titanium is smoother or glides a bit more effortlessly but for me I suspect the biggest difference is the weight. I find that with a lighter razor I have a bit lighter touch where I can be a bit more heavy handed with a heavier razor. This is what probably explains the smoothness for me.

I've gone back and forth between preferring heavy razors and preferring lighter razors and what it really comes down to is that you'll get used to either one with repeated use.

Both metals will last several lifetimes as both choices in terms of durability are overkill for a tool to shave your face with.

I take the razor apart and wipe it down after every shave with a soft cloth and all of my razors look like they are brand new. This 30 second routine will keep it looking perfect. To dent or scratch it would be a case of complete carelessness as it's not easy to do.

I was taught by my elders to buy the very best tool you can afford and take care of it. If you do this then you will have something truly special that will last you a lifetime. If you buy crap then you'll always have crap.

I think in the end it's going to depend on what you place value on and personal preference. There are good and bad examples of razors in different materials all over the B&B forums.
Many years ago I did some road cycling. Tried different bike frames and settled on Titanium. I loved the way it handled. Would that experience lead me to buy a Titanium razor? Probably not. I checked one high end manufacturer and their titanium razor is $40 more than their SS model. Not that much of a difference for a high end product.
Besides my DE89 and Merkur Futur all my other razors are stainless steel. They all give me a great shave. I just prefer the look, feel and heft of my SS ones.

In the case of a bike, the titanium frame greatly reduces the weight of the bike, making it easier to ride, especially on hills. With a razor, that is not as much of a factor.

The difference is, I believe, more in the perceived value & perceived lifespan, of the different grades of SS or titanium. Are any of them necessary? Are any of them desired?

The difference is, I believe, more in the perceived value & perceived lifespan, of the different grades of SS or titanium. Are any of them necessary? Are any of them desired?

There's something about using a high quality razor as well. The attention to detail, the smooth threads, precise knurling. Think of it like driving an expensive sports car or using a precision surgical tool. It's definitely nicer than the average inexpensive razor. To me it's worth it as it adds a bit more enjoyment to my daily shave. In terms of lifespan with a material like this, figure several lifetimes. So you can use it for the rest of your life, your son can then use it for the rest of his life and his son as well. The razor doesn't really deteriorate so this could go on and one for generations as long as it's taken care of properly.

What we've done here is we've taken the mundane task of shaving daily and made it enjoyable. Something some people actually even look forward to. The perceived value is reflected in the enjoyment that you get from it.

In terms of different grades of stainless steel, personally I think every grade of stainless steel will likely last several lifetimes if taken care of, as will titanium, so this isn't a factor for me. In terms of buying a stainless steel razor vs several Zamak ones figure a newer Zamak razor will last around three to five years or one good drop. You can do the math to figure out how many Zamak razors you'd use vs one stainless or titanium one. There are razors made of stainless that are quite affordable, like the offerings from RazoRock for example. Blackland and Timeless also make reasonably priced outstanding razors. If you can get your hands on a Wolfman razor then you'll spend a little bit more but the build quality is exceptional. Plenty of others out there to pick from as well.

If we consider this a hobby and treat it as such then there are very few hobbies that you can buy the very best items and actually have them be affordable to the average participant. I'm not saying that spending $500 on a razor is normal behavior but if you collected antique cars you'd have to add quite a few zeros after that total to acquire the holy grail of automobiles. Same deal with collecting guns or coins. If you want to consider it shaving and don't mind it being a mundane task then buy something cheap that'll get the job done.

Is it a necessary purchase, probably not so much, but it's worth it to me as it gives me some enjoyment every morning. Whether it's worth it to you or not is something only you can answer.

Yep, that’s why I posed the question. I figure this is something that will get people to chime in on since there is a bit more free time these days.

I for one, like nice razors. But I don’t need them. Enjoyment & necessity can be, but don’t have to be, mutually exclusive.

For me the difference was in weight. I could not get so nice shaves with titanium than with stainless (Timeless razors). I felt titanium jumped on my facial hair. So my choice was stainless.

Reactions: cf1
Top Bottom