What's new

Stainless steel vintage razor?

Pretty much every known vintage stainless steel razor is lister here. The thing about most of them is that they are not easy to find and usually the prices for most of them are pretty high, especially for the Darwins which some consider to be the holy grail for the vintage collectors. In other words, if you plan on getting any of them, be prepared to spend a lot of time before you can find them and of course, a lot of money.

I'm a passionate vintage collector myself, but I'd still expect them to be at least decent shavers, especially if they are pricey and I'd much rather drop that amount of money on a modern razor. I love collecting vintage razors, but when it comes to the shaving performance of a high end vintage vs high end modern, the vintage will falls short in that department.

Pretty much every known vintage stainless steel razor is lister here.
Let's add the missing Personna then.
20201112_081835.jpg

I'm a passionate vintage collector myself, but I'd still expect them to be at least decent shavers, especially if they are pricey and I'd much rather drop that amount of money on a modern razor. I love collecting vintage razors, but when it comes to the shaving performance of a high end vintage vs high end modern, the vintage will falls short in that department.
I would disagree on vintage being lower in performance than modern based upon the modern razors that I’ve tried. I haven’t tried any of the $100+ moderns, though.

I would disagree on vintage being lower in performance than modern based upon the modern razors that I’ve tried. I haven’t tried any of the $100+ moderns, though.

I find both to be great, but the more precise made modern razors are in general slightly better, because they combine high efficiency with maximum smoothness much better, while most vintage razors for me personally fall between efficient and somewhat aggressive and super mild and inefficient like most Super Speeds and Techs for instance.

The other thing is that since I'm very limited of finding vintage razors most of the ones I see are sold by flippers who charge way more than the average price. I no longer feel like it's worth paying more than $100 for a vintage razor unless of course it's something extremely special and very few of the remaining razors on my list cost around or below that.

After trying a couple of high end modern razors I'm more than convinced that they are at least slightly better shavers compared to most vintage. YMMV, but I find most of the so called "rare" vintage razors to be decent, but very overrated in terms of shaving performance and yes, I've used quite a bit of "rare" vintage razors myself and my goal at collecting razors is to own special and funtional razors at the same time, so getting something expensive with poor performance is definitely not what I want and that goes for modern razors as well.

I'm not a stamp or coin collector to just watch my collection sealed up inside a capsule or an airtight container, so I guess not all vintage razor collectors are the same.

R

romsitsa

Hmmm, wondering which one you mean, Adam? The Liebel? (but that is chromed brass). From the top of my head I don’t remember owning any vintage stainless steel razors :confused1 …But then I really had a lot of razors at one point:biggrin1:
Update: After seeing the post of Bondage, it was the Watts :)

It was a quite massive beast, requirind a proprietary blade, but modern ones can be tweaked. The inventor/producer was somehow related to an army?.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
"Travalong"
It was produced from the end of World War II to the beginning of the Vietnam War, and was once configured in the bomber basic survival kit.
Once crashed in enemy territory, soldiers will want to keep a clean look to keep a low profile, while also allowing themselves a little more comfort without being disturbed by hygiene problems.

Maybe the year is not enough to be called antique, but it already meets the definition of vintage and stainless steel.

The interesting thing is that it can be folded into the size of a box of blades, and can accommodate five spare blades at the same time, using ordinary DE blades.
IMG_20230227_220611.jpg

I carry a Travalong with me everywhere to declare my love for shaving, even though I never shave in restaurants or supermarkets.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
"Ideal Shaver"
Not sure about its information, and no one in B&B seems to know the background of this razor; but according to some similar razor designs in Europe, it should also come from the vintage era.

It has a stainless steel head and neck, can be folds flat for travel.

Please note that the grip and storage box at the end of the handle have been remade by me in leather micarta. Because the original celluloid and plastic materials have shown signs of deterioration.
IMG_20230227_222237.jpg

IMG_20230227_222357_1.jpg

Top Bottom