What's new

Stainless steel version of DE89 head?

Hi folks,

I shaved with my Feather for many many years. Then, I got bored and tried the Gilette Heritage (DE89 head). Blow away.

I still want to use my Feather handle so I tried sticking the DE89 head from the GH on it. Perfect fit.

However, I was wondering, if there is a stainless steel version of DE89 or similar heads? I'd love to make the whole thing stainless steel. I love Feather handle too much to let ago, IMO there is nothing like it. Not even Rex (which I tried but returned it). Feather has the most beautiful handle ever made in my view.

Thank you!

PS - First post here :)

The closest is probably the Muhle Rocca. It has several options for the handle: steel, black, and birch bark. I'm not sure if you can buy the head alone as a replacement part. I know you can for some of the other Muhle razors such as the R89 or R41.

1653801500364.png

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi spectra,

there is no stainless steel, titanium or aluminum version of the R89/DE89 from Mühle or Edwin Jagger yet.
Sorry to disappoint, it's indeed very surprising that there still is no SS version of the head though!

The latest Mühle magazine, which interestingly is not yet published online, announced a silver plated R89. Close, but not quite, IMO.
No idea why they go this way, they made a stainless steel R41, after all. But only after Chinese manufacturers, in this case DSCosmetic, copied it with the Z0 head in SS.

The DE89/R89 head has been copied SO OFTEN, even more often, by now, but not in SS yet.

Rocca and 3ONE6 are between R89 and R41 in aggression. You might want to look at Razorock GameChanger .68 and .84 maybe, or their Lupo, BBS... lots of stainless steel razors that aren't too expensive.

I am afraid I will bring up a lot of DE89 fans with saying this, but a Toyota Corolla is a very nice and very good car, but there are newer and better models out there by now. I am not talking about the 100, 200, 300+ EUR/USD range.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The closest to the exact DE89 design in stainless is the Occam’s DE Stainless razor. I know they are hard to get right now. But I had one, and the Solid Bar baseplate is the exact design of the DE89. It is slightly more efficient in actual use. But when you look at the baseplates side by side they appear nearly identical.

Like you I have been very impressed with my Gillette Heritage.

I normally shave with a Merkur Progress but keep coming back to the Heritage as my daily shaver

Wow, thank you all for the responses.

Like you I have been very impressed with my Gillette Heritage.

I normally shave with a Merkur Progress but keep coming back to the Heritage as my daily shaver

Agreed, I've been shaving with the Feather for 10+ years. Never owned any of the classics (Merkur 34C, EJ 89, etc.) and jumped straight into "Sort by Price, High-to-low" and picked the most expensive one available in 2012. That was my first razor and I thought that's the end game until I bought Amazon GH. I need to kick myself for not trying the basics because in this case, Expensive doesn't mean great. Quality of the Feather is outstanding. Even better than the Rex. Yes, indeed. But Feather leaves a nasty razor burn that I've come accustomed to as part of DE shaving.

GH blew me away. I shaved twice a day for a couple of days which I would have never been able to because I grow sandpaper beard that can bring down a blade in one use. GH head is so much better than Feather, it is impossible to overstate. Shaves are smooth and absolutely no razor burn on a 12 hour beard. Applying aftershave doesn't burn!

So, now I just want something nice although the GH will be just fine. I use Feather handle on it because there is nothing better. It is perfect diameter to hold with 3 fingers and the length is exacting to my hands.

Hi spectra,

there is no stainless steel, titanium or aluminum version of the R89/DE89 from Mühle or Edwin Jagger yet.
Sorry to disappoint, it's indeed very surprising that there still is no SS version of the head though!

The latest Mühle magazine, which interestingly is not yet published online, announced a silver plated R89. Close, but not quite, IMO.
No idea why they go this way, they made a stainless steel R41, after all. But only after Chinese manufacturers, in this case DSCosmetic, copied it with the Z0 head in SS.

The DE89/R89 head has been copied SO OFTEN, even more often, by now, but not in SS yet.

Rocca and 3ONE6 are between R89 and R41 in aggression. You might want to look at Razorock GameChanger .68 and .84 maybe, or their Lupo, BBS... lots of stainless steel razors that aren't too expensive.

I am afraid I will bring up a lot of DE89 fans with saying this, but a Toyota Corolla is a very nice and very good car, but there are newer and better models out there by now. I am not talking about the 100, 200, 300+ EUR/USD range.

I heard that there are some differences between Muhle R89 head and the GH head. Particularly in this thread: Gillette Heritage Initial Review - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-heritage-initial-review.576968/post-10513283

I am going to try buying just the Muhle R89 head and make sure I get good shaves from it (and match GH).

Fendrihan's MK II stainless steel head is a reasonably affordable Merkur clone in cast steel.

I'd also second the suggestion of checking about the Pearl Blaze, despite it being a coated brass razor with a longer handle.
I haven't compared it directly to an EJ or R89 head, but there's effectively no blade feel, yet it's reasonably efficient.

Seeing as you're considering the R89 head by itself, check out the MJ-90A, too. It isn't much more money than Edwin Jagger/Muhle, but the material is better.

For me, they're all not very pleasant ATG, so I'd go for an aluminium Lupo, but if you don't have the issue, any of the three is a solid choice, and IMO better than getting a Muhle/EJ head.

Also, if you look at Yates Precision razors, they are a similar head design, although with some changes that make their razors nicer than EJ/Muhle R89 variants.

Last edited:
However, I was wondering, if there is a stainless steel version of DE89 or similar heads?
The Razorock Game Changer 68 would be the closest specification to the DE89 geometry in stainless steel. I cannot see Edwin Jagger or Muhle manufacturing that head in stainless steel when a clone can be made in China at much lower cost using MIM (metal injection moulding) technology.
The Gillette heritage inspired head is the same as the Muhle R89 head.

Reactions: tm3
The Razorock Game Changer 68 would be the closest specification to the DE89 geometry in stainless steel. I cannot see Edwin Jagger or Muhle manufacturing that head in stainless steel when a clone can be made in China at much lower cost using MIM (metal injection moulding) technology.
The Gillette heritage inspired head is the same as the Muhle R89 head.
Game Changer heads are pretty far off the DE89 designs, really.
The 68 SB head's main similarity is that it's a mild razor, but pretty much everything else if quite different.

It’s a good question. I’d like to see a R89 in stainless too. Certain websites list the replacement heads they sell as chrome plated brass, which would be nice, though I feel it is somehow unlikely. I just picked up a Muhle R89 twist which I’m fairly certain is pot metal. I’ve read reports of metal rot that the perfectionist in me thinks stainless construction would remedy. At the same time tons of people have no problems with razors constructed of pot metal, perhaps it’s luck or thoroughly drying the razor or something.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You might want to surf out to AliExpress and see if DSCosmetic is making a stainless steel version of it. They made one of the Muhle R41.

The Razorock Game Changer 68 would be the closest specification to the DE89 geometry in stainless steel.
At one point I was trying to come up with a SS razor that would be very similar to the Merkur HD, and the RRGC 68 seemed to be closest -- which means it would be similar to the DE89 as well.

Top Bottom