What's new

STAINLESS STEEL STAINING

I have some 20 year old SS pots and a few new ones. This Emeril Lagasse pot is only a few months old yet they all stain after washing or cooking. Is it the hard water here ? Barkeeper's Friend and Bon Ami do a fair job of restoring the sheen, but ZUD works the best.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The only time I have seen stainless rust like that is if it has been contaminated from another ferrous metal(carbon steel) and then it will stain like that. I worked in a Pulp mill and we had to make metal racks with stainless flat bar welded to them to prevent cross contamination similar to that (it can create problems later in piping years later). Your water might have a lot of iron in it I suspect + there are different types of stainless for different applications and how good the offshore stainless is questionable!
You can take a piece of carbon steel and make a simple test what does happen by placing it in the pan with a little water, you will need to scrub it after wards to remove the stain.

The only time I have seen stainless rust like that is if it has been contaminated from another ferrous metal(carbon steel) and then it will stain like that. I worked in a Pulp mill and we had to make metal racks with stainless flat bar welded to them to prevent cross contamination similar to that (it can create problems later in piping years later). Your water might have a lot of iron in it I suspect + there are different types of stainless for different applications and how good the offshore stainless is questionable!
You can take a piece of carbon steel and make a simple test what does happen by placing it in the pan with a little water, you will need to scrub it after wards to remove the stain.
I suspect it is the hard water , and here in California we are literally scraping the bottom of our lakes and dams to get water, we are almost dry..

I have some 20 year old SS pots and a few new ones. This Emeril Lagasse pot is only a few months old yet they all stain after washing or cooking. Is it the hard water here ? Barkeeper's Friend and Bon Ami do a fair job of restoring the sheen, but ZUD works the best.
That looks like "heat tint" to me. In the past I've used diluted white vinegar on a dish rag to remove it.

Top Bottom