What's new

Stainless steel maintenance

A few drops of plain olive oil would have broke the surface tension preventing a boilover, while adding oxygen rich lipids to aid in yeast performance and cell growth, without changing your gravity, head retention, or flavor profile. This is also a great alternative to using o2 on the cold side, yeast does like oxygen but it's very difficult to purge residual o2 without blowing out aroma, flavor, and head retention.

Sorry, I just spent the last 8 years of my life developing a brewery for a rich jerkoff who fired me last Thursday because he "couldn't afford me anymore" so this is all ripe on my mind.

Back to razors now :)

Mr Clean is a great product for cleaning stainless at home, it's active ingredient is sodium hydroxide but in a very low concentration. Baking soda on a wet toothbrush works well also.

My sympathies regarding your job. That's a d*ck move on his part for sure. Best of luck finding something soon.

I take my Game Changer apart, and rinse and dry each part with a towel after each use. Still looks like new.

And it provides me with a sense of ownership - part of the larger shaving ritual for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is exactly what i do, plus i use a air duster to air dry the water in the handle hole, also i store it disassembled. also i never leave a blade in the razor, i use it once and toss it. i use to do what the op does with a feather as d2 stainless steel 316, and it rusted after a year. i don't recommend keeping the blade in the razor its prone to rust in a day

Well, constant exposure to a 30% or so solution of 170f nitric acid for roughly 40-60 mins followed by a rinse then allowing that to air dry will set the stainless preventing accumulation of mineral deposits (or 'stone'). You can then periodically do a basic cycle of rinse, sodium hydroxide, rinse, to remove any trace of organic material then constant exposure to peroxyacetic acid for 10-20 mins to prevent bacterial growth thus, if the process is followed correctly, leaving you with a surgically clean and sanitized surface or in my professional experience... A sanitary vessel by which to ferment beverages :)

It seems like way overkill to pasivate your gear after every shave. It's not needing that level of sterilization. It's not going into a hospital operating room.

It seems like way overkill to pasivate your gear after every shave. It's not needing that level of sterilization. It's not going into a hospital operating room.

Maybe I was just fishing to see if someone would use the word 'passivation' :)

But in all seriousness, you are absolutely correct and I was being kinda sarcastic.

Adds to wish list, stainless steel or titanium razor.

I've had a blade rust in my chrome plated razor before so I always take the blade out to dry and clear any remaining stubble from the razor.

Are blades rusting not an issue in the SS razors?

I soak my GC 86 once a week overnight In equal parts dish soap and water.

Comes up brilliantly shiny and rinse

This was from a previous thread on B and B

And it works a treat

Top Bottom