What's new

Stainless Steel General...

I as well received the newsletter on Oct 8th with the Oct 15 release date listed for the SS General. I got mine on order as soon as it went live and as Chan mentioned they were sold out in less than 10 minutes. Do keep in mind that most of us here have been awaiting the SS release for several months now and were even informed the initial release would be a limited quantity.

It seems every one got informed but me, that's really weird, as for waiting a long time, same here, why do you think i was so miffed. Well i will have to wait till december and hope that i will have more luck next time or forget about it all together and buy an ATT SE1.

I picked my stainless steel General up again this morning. Very pleased that I got one of these. It is an excellent razor in design, quality, and price. I have a few ATT's and the General is it's peer in every respect except one, price. I can purchase three Generals for the price of one stainless ATT.

Regarding blades, I would urge anyone with a General; aluminum, brass, or stainless, to experiment a bit. One of the characteristics that sets these AC style blade razors aside from many other systems is the availability not only of different sharpness blades, but different sizes. This allows the user to dial the razor in for his specific requirements. Its essentially an adjustable razor, but I see many times in these forums where one or two people enjoy one blade and the herd mentality kicks in. The Schick Proline blade seems to be growing in popularity on this forum, possibly because of the price, but I am not finding it to be the best blade for me and my General. If you want the best shave try 'em all and see what works for you.

Cheers!

Good point. The Schick Proline blades are good but I find the Feather Pro to be the best all around blade out there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I picked my stainless steel General up again this morning. Very pleased that I got one of these. It is an excellent razor in design, quality, and price. I have a few ATT's and the General is it's peer in every respect except one, price. I can purchase three Generals for the price of one stainless ATT.

Regarding blades, I would urge anyone with a General; aluminum, brass, or stainless, to experiment a bit. One of the characteristics that sets these AC style blade razors aside from many other systems is the availability not only of different sharpness blades, but different sizes. This allows the user to dial the razor in for his specific requirements. Its essentially an adjustable razor, but I see many times in these forums where one or two people enjoy one blade and the herd mentality kicks in. The Schick Proline blade seems to be growing in popularity on this forum, possibly because of the price, but I am not finding it to be the best blade for me and my General. If you want the best shave try 'em all and see what works for you.

Cheers!

I would love to hear more about what you're saying here. I had some idea of the fact all the AC blades are not the same, but missed its application to my shaving. Half-bright at best.

It is hard (so far) to find much objective information about the AC blades other than the Feathers.

I have 390 of the Prolines (some are in transit), but that doesn't mean they are the best blades for me even though I like them in my SS General. I've not tried others. You're right about why.

Do you have the ATT SE1 or ATT SE2? How do you see these compared with the General (neglecting price)?

Thanks for this post.

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

I would love to hear more about what you're saying here. I had some idea of the fact all the AC blades are not the same, but missed its application to my shaving. Half-bright at best.

It is hard (so far) to find much objective information about the AC blades other than the Feathers.

I have 390 of the Prolines (some are in transit), but that doesn't mean they are the best blades for me even though I like them in my SS General. I've not tried others. You're right about why.

Do you have the ATT SE1 or ATT SE2? How do you see these compared with the General (neglecting price)?

Thanks for this post.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I simply mean that with DE razors guys will try dozens of blades where the primary difference is sharpness. With AC razors the blade choices go beyond sharpness and include choices in depth, thickness, approach angle, guarded vs unguarded, etc. I wouldn't recommend purchasing bulk without first trying all of the available options first hand.

My personal best example is my Asylum RX. I used FPs and hated the shaves I was getting. I tried 7 or 8 different blades and the Kai guarded blades give me a fantastic shave so I am keeping the razor. Very glad I didn't listen to naysayers here claiming the RX was too aggressive.

The AC style razors I currently own are the RX, Feather shavette, and SS General. I had a first batch ATT SE1 with blade post issues and El Jeffe and was not satisfied with the quality of either. They have since been sold. I understand both companies now offer versions that have corrected past issues but I haven't tried them. So I can't directly compare the new SS General to the new ATT SE1.

I do own an ATT S1, it's build quality is superb although not superior to my SS General, which was the point I was trying to make.

I strongly urge anyone with an AC style razor they may be unhappy with it to try other blades before giving up on the razor. The blade choice can make a much more pronounced difference in an AC razor than a typical DE in my experience.

Cheers!

I simply mean that with DE razors guys will try dozens of blades where the primary difference is sharpness. With AC razors the blade choices go beyond sharpness and include choices in depth, thickness, approach angle, guarded vs unguarded, etc. I wouldn't recommend purchasing bulk without first trying all of the available options first hand.

My personal best example is my Asylum RX. I used FPs and hated the shaves I was getting. I tried 7 or 8 different blades and the Kai guarded blades give me a fantastic shave so I am keeping the razor. Very glad I didn't listen to naysayers here claiming the RX was too aggressive.

The AC style razors I currently own are the RX, Feather shavette, and SS General. I had a first batch ATT SE1 with blade post issues and El Jeffe and was not satisfied with the quality of either. They have since been sold. I understand both companies now offer versions that have corrected past issues but I haven't tried them. So I can't directly compare the new SS General to the new ATT SE1.

I do own an ATT S1, it's build quality is superb although not superior to my SS General, which was the point I was trying to make.

I strongly urge anyone with an AC style razor they may be unhappy with it to try other blades before giving up on the razor. The blade choice can make a much more pronounced difference in an AC razor than a typical DE in my experience.

Cheers!
Very well said. I agree 100% on your specific points on blade selection and how those blade selections show different characteristics on feel, sharpness, thickness, width, guarded or unguarded in reference to different razors in the SE world. Coincidentally, every blade will work differently in every razor and the key is experimenting with individual blades in those razors to find a specific combination (s) that will work flawlessly for each individual user.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I will be happy to buy your stock of Schick Proline blades at the price I get them shipped from Japan should you find a "better" blade!

Thanks for the offer. If you run out and can't get blades from Japan I would be happy to help you out. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Since this thread is about the SS General I will try and steer it back on course.

I've not tried all of the AC style blades yet in the SS General, so I would not want to give the impression that I am an authority on the subject, I am not.

In my journey thus far the Proline was knocked from first place by a Kai Mild Pink. I look forward to trying more to see what works best in the General for me. All good fun.

Cheers!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Since this thread is about the SS General I will try and steer it back on course.

I've not tried all of the AC style blades yet in the SS General, so I would not want to give the impression that I am an authority on the subject, I am not.

In my journey thus far the Proline was knocked from first place by a Kai Mild Pink. I look forward to trying more to see what works best in the General for me. All good fun.

Cheers!

BOSC Motto.jpg

I have been using my SS General with the Proline blade and find it very efficient shave. In the past when I had the aluminum General I used a variety of blades with it and favored the Kai guarded blade over the Proline in it. Feather Pro's and Supers were shelved after 2 shaves each as they just weren't comfortable at all. Feather Pro Guards were my go to until I tried the Kai's though...

On a different topic but still about the SS General, I have been noticing lately that I have been getting a slight drag feel from my razor. I never felt this with the aluminum version but have with the SS. At first I thought it was the soaps I use, Proraso and Stirling, but I have no problems with drag using my Fatboys. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have been using my SS General with the Proline blade and find it very efficient shave. In the past when I had the aluminum General I used a variety of blades with it and favored the Kai guarded blade over the Proline in it. Feather Pro's and Supers were shelved after 2 shaves each as they just weren't comfortable at all. Feather Pro Guards were my go to until I tried the Kai's though...

On a different topic but still about the SS General, I have been noticing lately that I have been getting a slight drag feel from my razor. I never felt this with the aluminum version but have with the SS. At first I thought it was the soaps I use, Proraso and Stirling, but I have no problems with drag using my Fatboys. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I recall one fellow who believed he was experiencing drag due to the brushed finish of the SS. If I remember correctly, he proceeded to polish it and found that solved his problem.

I personally have not noticed any drag (using Prolines); in fact, more like the opposite, but that's just me.

I recall one fellow who believed he was experiencing drag due to the brushed finish of the SS. If I remember correctly, he proceeded to polish it and found that solved his problem.

I personally have not noticed any drag (using Prolines); in fact, more like the opposite, but that's just me.

That was me, I posted earlier in this thread. I've noticed a small amount of increased drag with various SS razors I've had over the years including ATT, so I polish them to a mirror finish. I like the way they look and feel. It's really not necessary, just my own personal preference .

Only by experimenting will one find the best blade for each and every SE we have.
The RX, I find overly efficient with the pro,(YMMV) but fantastic with the Kai MG. All my other middle of the road efficiency SE's, I use with the P-30 as it's as sharp as the pro, only much smoother which I like in a shave.

I tried a Proline in the General the last two shaves and the blade felt a bit rough. I binned the blade and swapped for a Kia Mild to use the next couple weeks. Not sure if I got a bad batch of prolines but the Kais have been quite a bit smoother for me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Yeah, I felt like I may have had too rough a batch of Prolines at first as well. It just takes some getting used to them. They’re a bit aggressive but once you get a feel for using them they’re great.

I've tried the Prolines in my SS General, Asylum RX, and Feather Shavette multiple times. No getting use to, I've given them a fair shot. I remain unimpressed. They aren't as sharp as the comparable Feather blade but have the same roughness. In general the Kai's have proven smoother and just as sharp as the Prolines. I'm going to try the Kamasori blade in the various razors next. Looks like I will not be following the beaten path.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On November 27th, I began a Fixed Four which will last until Christmas.

FixedFourKit.JPG

You'll notice the razor is the SS General loaded with a Proline.

My current Proline was loaded about a week ago. I didn't note the day very well, but I've used it either seven or eight times, and it is going strong. I'm not trying to push it, but I'm enjoying the blade more as it has smoothed out some since the first couple or so shaves.

The General was a good choice for my Fixed Four I believe. I'm getting better with the razor, and looking forward to a couple more weeks shaving exclusively with the current kit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

For those that missed out the first time around...

Hello Subscribers,

We are hoping you all are well and are excited to be receiving this email today from us! We want to keep this email short and sweet and to serve its purpose in revealing the next release date for our stainless steel General.

We will be releasing this next batch of razors on 12/25/2017 at 11:00 AM ET. They can be purchased at colonialrazors.com. We anticipate 1-4 days to ship all razors.

Take care and we are hoping to earn your business on this day!

Regards,

Kirk and Kyle Evans

Top Bottom