What's new

Stainless Steel General...

I shaved the left side of my face and neck this morning with the Colonial General SS with Proline blades, and the right side with a Supply Provisions V.2 with Chinese Schick injector blades, second shave for both blades. I love both razors. Sacrilegous perhaps, but I didn't feel a big difference during the shaves or after. It's only my second shave with the General SS. I must say, it felt like a professional shave. I'm still getting used to the width of it. Supply had less blade feel, I would say, and was a little easier to get the angle with, felt like you could ride the cap almost. Need to spend a lot more time with the General before reaching any further conclusions, but so far it feels amazing - sharp, forgiving, no irritation. The Supply, which I've used five or six times with the Personna blades, surprised me with the Chinese Schicks. And liking both better than my OneBlade Genesis, which I have yet to master. Thinking of trying a Rockwell 6S next. Just thought I would pass this on.

got my stainless colonial general today in the mail and used it tonight.
i like the fit and finish much better than my previous Ikon Mr Se. i liked the grip on the handle, the heft of the overall razor and the perfect fit of the blade.
the ikon has more blade sound but this general is a keeper. just sold my ikon mr se and replaced it with this one.

no weepers and a nice comfy clean shave. i plan on using the blade for a week before tossing it.

Colonial Razors announced on August 3rd via one of their social media sites that a new 2.0 version of the General is soon to be posted plus a redesigned and sleeker Brass General is in prototype stages. Also, on a seperate note, their new DE which is in prototype form should be in their hands in a few weeks. Good stuff ahead.....

From their social media site:

Version 2.0 of The General:

-Machined only in the USA!
-Considerably sleeker than the original version!
-Brass prototype in hand!
-Amazing shaver!

Thought we'd give a teaser of what we've been working on behind the scenes. Still not ready to share pictures, as we have at least one more tweak left, which is mainly related to shortening up the length of the head a tad more.

We are also hoping to have our DE razor prototype in hand within the next few weeks. More to come on that at a later date.

I have been wet shaving for a decade.
Since 2012 I have pretty much only used a Kronos DE razor with random blade choices. I would shave at night to let the weepers dry before I went to work in the morning. The shave was good enough and close enough that the whole day I was cleanly shaven.

About a year ago I bought a general stainless SE razor and have never gotten a weeper from it. I now shave in the mornings and love the general razor.

I'm considering selling off my DE razor since why do I need it?

>>I would shave at night to let the weepers dry before I went to work in the morning.<<

My early decades of DE shaving was a similar nightmare. Shave in the morning and try and staunch the bleeding with bits of toilet paper. Many times I would forget to remove them and venture out with the bloody tissue still stuck to my face.

Recently I picked up my General after many months and had some discomfort until I adjusted my technique. In the interim I had used only several other brands including ATT, OREN, Hawk S/S, Vector and had made slight instinctive adjustments to suit them.

The General was my first ever SE razor and my initial experience was superb, exactly as you describe. The big problem, as you might have gathered from the foregoing, is that it turned me on to Artist Club shaving and I have never looked back.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I too shaved (long ago as a youth and young man) with DE razors and the occasional injector. It's not like I didn't have grown men in my life to give me pointers. They were certainly vastly better at shaving than I was and better than any of my friends. We all went around with chapped skin, razor burn, and toilet paper. Still, the grown men were not good mentors, at least the ones I encountered, at least not good enough to teach idiot teenagers and smart *** college kids.

upload_2019-5-22_10-50-6.jpeg

The only really good shaver I knew as a young man, the only one who was a peer, was a straight razor shaver who'd learned from his grandfather. I tried to emulate him and cut the living hell out of myself. I have scars to prove it. I should have gone to a plastic surgeon!

My SR shaving college friend learned from his grandfather, but wasn't himself able to teach the skills to me.

It's not hard for me to understand why men turned to cartridge razors.

There were no AC razors of course, but I probably could have mastered the injector had I stuck with one long enough.

Japanese SR. Not tried 'em yet. (meme).jpg

Now I can shave with any razor, but my preferences are mostly straight razors followed by injectors and AC platforms such as the my very good SS General.

Happy shaves,
'
Jim

What a fantastic post!
The Photo made me laugh out loud, that was me and might be one of the reasons why I was pointed at in the street.

I used buy the cheap DE razor in the chemists and never knew there were better options. The cartridge razors were a godsend, reinforced and validated by the shaving articles in the men's magazines, who had an eye on maintaining the Gillette advertising revenue rather than informing their customers.
The internet has transformed so much.

Presently I am determined to master my new Feather DX Kamisori. Not that I dont lust after an Iwasaki but the honing and maintenance is beyond my present energy and focus capabilities. ME is a *****.

I use my General and other SE razors for the second tidy up pass, or even to finish the first pass when my attention starts to lapse as evidenced by the blood.
Best
Edward

Top Bottom