What's new

Stainless Steel General...

I sold my aluminum General a little ways back. It shaved close, but seemed like it had quite a bit of blade feel for me. I'm not new at this, but most of the time when I used it, I'd get at least one nick. I do tend to prefer heftier razors, so I'm wondering if the light weight of that razor was throwing me off. As such, I'm seriously thinking about the SS version, soon to be released. I'm curious - did anyone else find the original aluminum to be a bit harsh or unwieldy? Most say it was mild. My first AC was an original Mongoose, b. 2. Compared to that mild thing, the General was a tiger shark.

I can’t speak to the aluminum version but the brass is fantastic. I get very little blade feel and find it extremely smooth. I expect the SS version to be more similar to the brass than to the aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t speak to the aluminum version but the brass is fantastic. I get very little blade feel and find it extremely smooth. I expect the SS version to be more similar to the brass than to the aluminum.

Yes, I wanted to try the brass, but I missed out on that one. I keep hunting for the perfect AC blade razor for me. The Mongoose is too mild, the Aluminum General and Blackhawk are too harsh...Everybody says the Asylum RX is the one to go for, but I'd feel awkward asking the bank for a loan to buy a razor.

Yes, I wanted to try the brass, but I missed out on that one. I keep hunting for the perfect AC blade razor for me. The Mongoose is too mild, the Aluminum General and Blackhawk are too harsh...Everybody says the Asylum RX is the one to go for, but I'd feel awkward asking the bank for a loan to buy a razor.

Same search here my friend. Have the Brass General, which is great. New Ikon El Jefe head in the mail as we speak and going to grab the SS General mañana. Keep thinking about the ATT S1 too. Haha.

If you think the Aluminum General is too harsh, the RX might kill you;). Although I’m speaking from what I read, not from experience. I’d like to try it as well.

Not sure how you found the the aluminum General to be harsh, it's far from it!

You might want to revisit all the AC razors that you found too mild with the Schick Proline blade, they will make all AC razors come alive.

The only way the General is harsh is too much pressure and/or wrong angle!

If you think the Aluminum General is too harsh, the RX might kill you;).

+1

You have been warned!

Not sure how you found the the aluminum General to be harsh, it's far from it!

You might want to revisit all the AC razors that you found too mild with the Schick Proline blade, they will make all AC razors come alive.

The only way the General is harsh is too much pressure and/or wrong angle!

+1

You have been warned!
Yes, perhaps the light weight of the aluminum General tempted me to use too much pressure. I'd like to try the Rocnel SE50, too. I have the SE-P (half of a DE blade) and it's fantastic, so if the SE50 handles AC blades like the SE-P handles DE halves, I will have struck gold. Alas, they are not readily available, so I will probably give the SS General a go and see if that works for me. Thanks for the tip about the Schick Prolines - I have one from Try-a-Blade in a sample pack that I haven't used yet. I'm looking forward to it.

proxy.php

I've ordered the new General (316L Stainless Steel) and the new spare handle

Ordered the SS General this morning and already got tracking number. It's a shame they didn't have a larger batch given the apparent demand. For me, I find the General with a Schick Proline to be a sweet combo, whereas the Hawk for some reason I don't find as smooth.

Ordered the SS General this morning and already got tracking number. It's a shame they didn't have a larger batch given the apparent demand. For me, I find the General with a Schick Proline to be a sweet combo, whereas the Hawk for some reason I don't find as smooth.

Same here and I agree. General + Proline is sweet. Not a fan of the Hawk. Will be selling it at some point. Gonna ship off the SS General to get Gun “Koted” and have the Brass as a backup.

Same here, I find the Hawk not as smooth and I have both alu versions. I think I'll sell them on too.
IMHO though the El-Jefe on a Proline is even smoother and more efficient than the brass and alu Generals. The new MR-SE is also on it's way to my door and I hear it's even smoother than the El-jefe and as efficient.

Same here, I find the Hawk not as smooth and I have both alu versions. I think I'll sell them on too.
IMHO though the El-Jefe on a Proline is even smoother and more efficient than the brass and alu Generals. The new MR-SE is also on it's way to my door and I hear it's even smoother than the El-jefe and as efficient.

Ha. My MR-SE is getting delivered tomorrow, along with the Ikon Bamboo Handle...

I liked everything about the aluminum general except that it was aluminum. So I sold it a few months back. I had briefly considered grabbing a brass general, but much prefer stainless so thought I'd hold off to see if they offered a stainless version. Was goofing around online when I heard the clock chime 8 times, popped over to colonials site and ordered a stainless general. Received tracking info about 30 minutes after placing the order. For $70 delivered its a screaming good deal.

After I try it out a few times I'll probably polish it as I have with my various ATT razors. Something about a mirror finish on a stainless razor that gets to me. Plus, I would swear polishing my ATT caps improved glide characteristics. Could just be my imagination though.

Top Bottom