What's new

Stainless Steel equivalent to R41

jtface i understand your worry. And it's not without basis. There are probably more than a hundred accounts on this forum of zamak rot. I've had it happen myself.

You could buy extra heads. That's one solution. Another solution would be one razor made entirely from a quality material that is actually made to endure the wet conditions that shaving requires.

Check out razorock's all stainless game changer or the all brass karve. Wonderful reasonably priced razors that will last several lifetimes.

We are all patients when our razors come in question :) I like Fatip piccolo so much, that when I red it's side posts are fragile and can break I ordered another piccolo, which should arrive by the end of the week together with Semogue 1800 and few boxes of Personnas :D
What I wanted to say was that you obviously like r41 very much, it's your cup of tea and some other razor will hardly be that good for you right now. Instead of looking for something similar, you could buy another Muhle with r41 head, and different handle, r103 with tortoiseshell handle is a hot sexy razor :) and buy one or two spare heads and enjoy r41 design wihout worrying...

In stainless the Rocca is the closest you'll find. Charcoal Goods lvl 3 OC is much smoother and a bit more efficient than the 4.

That is exactly where I want to be. 1 razor, 1 blade brand, 1 brush and 1 soap. I will use various aftershaves depending on the seasons but the rest will stay the same!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

You Sir are a (closet) ‘minimalist!” This is the goal for many others (but you can still enjoy the journey)!

You Sir are a (closet) ‘minimalist!” This is the goal for many others (but you can still enjoy the journey)!
That's what I'm shooting for! I'm looking for 'the one' in each category that I can depend on for the foreseeable!

As others have said buying a few heads as back ups is the least expensive way to go if you love the Shave you get with the 2013 R41.
Options aren’t as inexpensive but here’s a few.

As others have suggested the Timeless .95 OC or I prefer the DC. Has less blade feel and efficiency wise it’s close.

Blackland Blackbird OC is also close with plenty of blade feel

If you are set in SS then you may want to wait for the Charcoal Goods SS Level 3 to come out. It will be no sooner than late summer. If you can handle Brass or Copper there are some left. They are more efficient than a 2013 R41 but smoother but still offer a nice amount of blade feel.

The most difficult to get is a high gap Wolfman. Both my WR1 .94 DC and WR2 Ti DC 125/135 are both a good deal more efficient but smoother. One would last 3 lifetimes.

Lastly would be the Ikon Tech. It’s definitely more efficient than the 2013 version of the R41 and has a mixed metal head and most put a SS Bulldog handle on it. It takes good technique and focus to handle it but once you do it’s a great razor.

A few suggestions for you.
Thank you for taking the time to compile the list of recommendations. What's the deal with the charcoal goods website?

The Wolfman razors are currently unobtanium it would seem!

I have recently been getting the best shaves of my wetshaving life using the Muhle R41 (2013) on an 80mm iKon Bulldog handle. My quest for a razor that gets me the closeness of shave that I'm looking for has ended, but my concern is that the pot metal won't last forever. I am looking to get a stainless steel razor that will outlive me, but need it to shave as well as the R41. Does such a DE razor exist? Is there something made by Timeless or Wolfman that gives the same results?

Blackland Dart

could probably shave with any razor out there today but in the end, why would I want to when I know that when I pick up either of my Timeless razors I will get the exact shave that I desire and never have to worry about ever having to change my technique for this or that other razor... It might sound boring but its the results that count for me!!

I’m in essentially the same situation with my heavy, indestructible, stainless ATT SE1/SE2 combination. Found my best blade for it, and that’s all I have around here, now.

That is exactly where I want to be. 1 razor, 1 blade brand, 1 brush and 1 soap. I will use various aftershaves depending on the seasons but the rest will stay the same!

Ha ha! Well, I got down to one brush, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get down to one soap! But I like your idea . . .

Thank you. My latest question (hence thread revival) was not about the same feel but rather about any stainless clones out there.

That R89 clone looks like the Occam's SB. It is a fine razor, used one this morning. It could use a little more refinement though. For example, it lacks the handle recess and I have found that some handles with larger diameters will pull the cap at an angle leaving an uneven blade gap if tightened too much. I use a Rockwell 6S handle or the RR UFO. As for an R41 clone in SS, I have not found one but would also be interested in one.

That R89 clone looks like the Occam's SB. It is a fine razor, used one this morning. It could use a little more refinement though. For example, it lacks the handle recess and I have found that some handles with larger diameters will pull the cap at an angle leaving an uneven blade gap if tightened too much. I use a Rockwell 6S handle or the RR UFO. As for an R41 clone in SS, I have not found one but would also be interested in one.

Yes, it is Occam. They have three heads and (supposedly) the mildest one is quite darn close to R89 both design- and shave-wise. However their more "aggressive" options are of unique design. Which is a good thing (and I've already ordered one). But it's not what I'm currently searching for.

Top Bottom