What's new

Stainless Steel CV Heljestrand Safety Razors

Based on it's low magnetic attraction the CV Heljestrand stainless steel razors are Austenitic stainless steel, the type not heat treatable and thus not suitable for cutting implements such as knives and razor blades, but more corrosion resistant. Here is a link to an article about Austenitic stainless steel development.

History of Stainless Steel

The handle threads on the CVH lather catchers are totally non standard for razors. The handle is male threaded and metric 3.5 x 0.6 threads. A metric standard but a relatively rarely used thread. Many computer tower case thumb screws are the same thread.

My latest acquisition is a chrome plated brass CVH in a almost new compact case with two blades and two blade holders for stropping. Again a two piece handle setup and the Kindal name stamped on the head so the rule of thumb seems to be holding. Stainless steel CVH safety razors are all 1 piece handles, based on a sample of three, and DO NOT have the Kindal name stamped on the razor head. Otherwise they closely resemble the chrome plated brass version. Kindal acquired a major interest in CV Heljestrand in 1927 I am told by a Swedish B&B member so any razor or case with the Kindal name on it is 1927or later. This might help narrow dating, however based on my SS versions some cases were produced after 1927 without the Kindal stamp and the stainless steel razors do not have the Kindal stamp on the razor.

CVH8-1.jpg
CVH8-3.jpg
CVH8-4.jpg

I just ran across the below advertisement for sale from a French ebay seller. Per the listing the advertisement is from 1949 which places CV Heljestrand wedge blade lather catcher production much later than I was aware of, well past WW2. The razor set in the picture is clearly a CV Heljestrand 7 day deluxe lather catcher set with the strop and auto stropper. I have a virtually identical set.

CVH-ad-1.jpg

Indeed it does, but only at first sight.

I'm no expert in Heljestrand SE razors, but I do have knowledge about straight razors in general and Swedish straight razors in particular. The depicted straight razor is a Heljestrand MK No.31 5/8 razor. There are people claim that it might very well be the best straight razor ever made. It was in production from around 1927 until 1980. The 31 blade was very much unchanged over the years, but what did change was the the scale material. The most common was bakelite or faux ivory. After 1939 all Heljestrand straight razors had such scales. Before that some had scales made of ivory. The depicted 31 has scales made out of tortoise which makes it extremely rare and definitely dates it to the early 1930's.

So I conclude that either the advert is printed in 1949 and depicts a no longer available straight razor or the advert is at least fifteen years older than claimed.

I wish I had a MK No31 in ivory. The B&B-member @Lmarkow has a full seven day set that has made me salivate for years. All tortoise scaled Heljestrand razors were sold in France and in the USA.

I don't know if this piece of information was of any value to you, but it's all I got.

Also it would not surprise me if once the original artwork was done they continued to use the same advertisement for years. Why change it as long as the address and phone number were still correct.

BTW if you look at the photos of the three stainless steel razors in the front thread photos you will note that NONE have two piece handles and the two cased samples are in cases which have razor cutouts designed long enough for a one piece handle, as does the cardboard box, barely. All the cased brass ones I have seen have two piece handles and the case cutouts are designed to hold the two piece handle when disassembled. Below are photos of two cased chrome plated brass versions, both seven day sets. The cased set with strop is in my collection and the other one is on the way to me.

Attachments

• CVH9-1.jpg
    CVH9-1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 11
  • CVH-4-1.jpg
    CVH-4-1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 12
I exchanged messages with the owner of PAA about the possibility of doing a modern reproduction of the CVH lather catcher razor and his estimate for limited production at the level most current SS razors are produced was a retail of $500 to $600 each. Makes the current used prices for them look downright reasonable.

I exchanged messages with the owner of PAA about the possibility of doing a modern reproduction of the CVH lather catcher razor and his estimate for limited production at the level most current SS razors are produced was a retail of $500 to $600 each. Makes the current used prices for them look downright reasonable.

Would you refresh my memory, will the CVH blades fit in the Rapide?

Would you refresh my memory, will the CVH blades fit in the Rapide?

A bit wider but fit fine in my experience. Tried in both an original Scharff Rapide without blade edge stops and one of the last Henckels versions made with the solid top clamp for the blade.

Based on the points to look for listed here I just won my fourth stainless steel CV Heljestrand wedge blade lather catcher razor. It arrived this morning from Southern California. Large cased unit with a strop and auto stropper. Missing one blade of the seven blade set and minor damage to the exterior leather case covering but very good overall with the razor looking to be 99% condition or better. Strop and auto stropper look good too.

CVH4SS-2.jpg

Playing around with my strong magnet out of a disassembled disc drive I noted that the magnetic attraction of the four CV Heljestrand stainless steel razors I now have varies considerably. Two are clearly evident as the attraction is substantial. The other two have a considerably weaker attraction though it still exists. The test done with them suspended from a string does show that the magnetic attraction is there. Either different stainless steel compositions were used over the period of production or different handling. My understanding is that some manufacturing procedures can change the magnetic attraction ability of some Austenitic stainless steel alloys.

Based on the points to look for listed here I just won my fourth stainless steel CV Heljestrand wedge blade lather catcher razor. It arrived this morning from Southern California. Large cased unit with a strop and auto stropper. Missing one blade of the seven blade set and minor damage to the exterior leather case covering but very good overall with the razor looking to be 99% condition or better. Strop and auto stropper look good too.

View attachment 807807

Replaced the blade set with a complete one, scrubbed the razor with liquid detergent and Oxyclean and swapped the case for an identical one with a better leather covering to give a virtually NOS razor set. Now gives me both a Stainless Steel one piece handle complete set with strop and a chromed brass two piece handle complete set with strop.

Top Bottom