What's new

Stainless Slotted Blades for the Durham Duplex?

Hey guys, sorry I'm late to the party :biggrin: (and digging up an old thread!) but I wondered if there were any more updates/progress reports on either shaving with or obtaining blades for one of these.

Naturally, I'm asking because I just got a sweet looking Durham Duplex, in a lot of SE razors I bought.

Are these to be considered a straight razor? Certainly there use is similar?

I didn't get a stropper attachment I've seen mentioned, but did get some new blades with mine. I've read that even these will need to be honed and stropped though. It was inevitable I'd need to learn those two techniques, as I do plan to try a Straight Shave in 2010.

Any help/advice appreciated!

I'm afraid I got way to caught up in DE's SE's and injectors over the months and never gave the DD a try. I also have a DD "hoe style" safety razor that uses the same blades. That will probably be my first use of this device. But probably not for a while, since I still have several DE's I want to get through as well as a couple more tries with my window scraper SE blades.

- Chris

Thanks for the reply! I know what you mean, I'm still swapping out a new razor every day in an effort to sample all I've bought before trimming the collection. Seems like I make very little headway. It'd probably help if I stayed away from lots like this (but at a winning bid of $11.05, who could resist? :001_tt1:). I keep thinking, as long as I buy less than 7 a week, I'll catch up! :001_cool:

proxy.php

Thanks for the reply! I know what you mean, I'm still swapping out a new razor every day in an effort to sample all I've bought before trimming the collection. Seems like I make very little headway. It'd probably help if I stayed away from lots like this (but at a winning bid of $11.05, who could resist? :001_tt1:). I keep thinking, as long as I buy less than 7 a week, I'll catch up! :001_cool:

That looks like a fun lot you won! :drool: And WOW what a price!
I have 3 straight types & a DE type. I've shaved with them all. If your new blades are sharp enough you can get a OK shave with them. I have only used the NOS Durham blades both stropped & not. The ones that I've stropped did work the best. Never close as a real straight will give you, but a fun razor to shave with all the same.
Maybe just me, but I really enjoy shaving with old razors. I'm not a collector. Every razor I buy I intend to shave with & I do. Even If it is not a very close shave or a great shave, I Just think it's cool in my mind wondering about how many people used this razor before me.
I like being the one that brought it back to life some 50 to 100 years later. That's what makes shaving fun for me :wink2:

Top Bottom