What's new

Stainless or carbon steel?

SCHICKINJECTOR.jpg

Does anyone here know what these blades are made from?

I recently acquired a Schick Eversharp injector razor and some blades to go with it. I was seriously underwhelmed by the performance, and I wonder what the blades are made of. Vintage stainless steel blades are usually fine, but carbon steel blades don't tend to age well, which would explain the poor performance.

View attachment 972177
Does anyone here know what these blades are made from?

I recently acquired a Schick Eversharp injector razor and some blades to go with it. I was seriously underwhelmed by the performance, and I wonder what the blades are made of. Vintage stainless steel blades are usually fine, but carbon steel blades don't tend to age well, which would explain the poor performance.
I believe those are carbon steel.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

With straight razors, it does not seem to make much difference between stainless and carbon steel as long as you take care of them. With SE and DE blades, however, whomever came up with stainless steel blades did us a real favor. There are still a few carbon steel blades available, but none seem to be highly regarded.

With straight razors, it does not seem to make much difference between stainless and carbon steel as long as you take care of them. With SE and DE blades, however, whomever came up with stainless steel blades did us a real favor. There are still a few carbon steel blades available, but none seem to be highly regarded.

Well, the difference with disposable SE/DE blades is ptfe coating. Straights never have it, carbon disposables often don't, but stainless disposables always do. Carbon blades are always going to pale a bit in comparison with stainless blades simply because of the lack of coating. And disposable blades don't get cared for as well as straights do, so carbons tend to die earlier because of rust. But a coated carbon blade like a 1980s Gillette Super Blue can give a lot of really good shaves if cared for.

Top Bottom