What's new

Stainless DE89, still waiting?

would buy a Stainless DE89

• Total voters
Still hope Muhle or Edwin Jagger will produce a stainless DE 89. Or how about brass, bronze, titanium, or aluminum?
I would probably buy one of each material, just love that design, works great for me.

From the images I have seen, it is neutral blade exposure and a blade gap of ~ 0.8. Most seem to have used the Feather blade provided with the razor to offer first impressions; it would be nice to see feedback using the usual favourite blades like Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, 7 O' Clock SharpEdge.

From the images I have seen, it is neutral blade exposure and a blade gap of ~ 0.8. Most seem to have used the Feather blade provided with the razor to offer first impressions; it would be nice to see feedback using the usual favourite blades like Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, 7 O' Clock SharpEdge.
FWIW I emailed Edwin Jagger asking for specs and how they compare to the DE89 a number of weeks ago and got no answer. You may be right about gap and blade neutral, just giving my impression of the reviews I have read. Of the reviews I have read, all the users agree it is more aggressive than the DE89.

+1! That is the question! For sure, but the answers have been varried.

Well, I shaved with mine this morning. I have been comparing it to other razors lately. I really like it and bought one with the blue handle.

To the specific question - No, the 3one6 is very different from the DE89. It is more aggressive. And my version is lighter.

It fits in a range of aggressive/efficient close to my Game Changer Open Comb and my Muhle Rocca. It is a bit more aggressive/efficient than my Timeless .68 Open Comb and the Game Changer 84.

At least that's been my experience.

To echo what others have said, the 3one6 is not a stainless DE89. Many shavers have been hoping for a SS ‘89 head, and I think many anticipated the 316 fitting the bill. It’s unfortunate both for the shavers hoping for a mild SS and for the reputation of the 316 razor. I think it’s getting a bit of a bad rep on shaving forums because gents pick one up expecting a mild shave.

My experience with the 316 is that it works well with a variety of blades. My current three favorite blades in the 316 are Feather, Astra SP, and Shark.

I would put the 316 as slightly more efficient than a GC84.

Yes, the handle is slim, but it works very well and the 316 is one of the best DE shavers I’ve got.

Having said all that....if you want a SS DE89, pass on the 316.

FWIW I emailed Edwin Jagger asking for specs and how they compare to the DE89 a number of weeks ago and got no answer. You may be right about gap and blade neutral, just giving my impression of the reviews I have read. Of the reviews I have read, all the users agree it is more aggressive than the DE89.
I can attest that the 3one6 has a good deal more blade feel (which I cannot stand) as I have sensitive skin. I get perfect 100% BBS shaves with zero irritation from the DE89, Rockwell 6S 3 plate and the Razorick Game Changer .68 and of course the agilkette Fatboy. I love the DE89 and hope one day they make it in stainless.

The only razor that came close to the DE89 was the offering from Classic Shaving, the Occams SS DE. Link below......

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
From my observation stainless steel razors will always be a tad more aggressive than their zamak counter parts.
Why do you believe the metal makes a difference?
While waiting for an answer from brother Raven, I will suggest the answer is the mass and weight of stainless steel.

I would imagine that a stainless steel razor would be made to the same (or very similar) dimensions of the zinc alloy casting that it is meant to emulate. The difference however, is that the zinc casting is chrome plated afterwards.

While it may not be a lot dimensionally, that additional layer of hard chrome on both cap and comb will to some extent reduce blade exposure in comparison to the raw casting. I doubt that the stainless iterations factor this in, leading to a slightly more aggressive geometry. If you think that plating might not be enough to make a difference, just think how small the difference in width is between Kai blades and others, and how much of a difference in feel may be perceived there.

Top Bottom