What's new

Stainless DE Safety razor that shaves like a Muhle R41, not Muhle?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm not a fan of direct copycat knock-offs which the DSCosmetic Z0 seems to be. I don't want to support IP theft which is what I see when I look at this one specifically.

That's part of the reason I'm looking at Razorock options. They seem to offer similar performance with a somewhat unique design and aesthetic.

I bought the Muhle R41 Grande SS after trying the DSCosmetic Z0. The DSCosmetic Z0 shaves similarly to the Muhle R41.

The RazoRock Lupo .95 OC is closest in efficiency to the R41. Closest in this case doesn't mean as good. Nevertheless, it's a good shaver...much easier to shave with than the R41.

RR Lupo 95 is pretty close in efficiency with less chatter than the R41. I was impressed with the Muhles efficiency but the chatter got on my nerves a bit. The Lupo 95 is smoother but I can’t use it every day. I reserve it for days when I have more than one day’s growth. Saturday and Monday. The Blackland Era OC4 and the Lupo get used those days.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How does the Italian Barber RazoRock Game Changer .84-P and .68-P compare to each other and a more modern Muhle R41 non-stainless/Titanium version? At $55, they sure look tempting compared to 3x the price for a stainless Muhle R41.

I see a lot of Razorock Lupo posts but, don't get the popularity. Is the just that the head is a little more trim to shave around someone's nose and on the top lip? Karve and others seem to get a lot of praise from fanboys too.

For a daily driver, I would like something slightly less aggressive than say a Muhle R41 (modern ~$55 variant) but more so than my Piccolo or the other common options I have like the EJ89. For a little background, I wanted to test my shaving after a camping trip or similar event where I don't shave every day so, I went ~4 days without shaving for some pretty good whiskers and used a brand new "Derby" and Edge gel for a test (I know not the best combo but, this was a test case today) after using my Fatip Piccolo for a daily driver for a significant period of time. Overall, really impressed with the single pass shave on my cheeks with the right being a DFS and the left (right-handed user here) which was a little off and could have used a second pass or better technique the first time. My lower lip and neck were consistent with my Piccolo results so, overall pretty impressive considering the heavy growth!

I am specifically looking for a full stainless steel razor with a generous handle similar to the Italian Barber "barber pole" as found on the Razorock razors. The Henson looked promising but, they confirmed it is not available in stainless steel and ~$250 for Ti or SS options just isn't going to happen when there are so many good options in the ~$50 price range from major manufacturers with great reputations! That being said, I'm not opposed to spending more if there is a real reason other than personal vanity or social media!

TIA,
Sid
Hi Sid. This thread may help you with your search:

Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

Photo that I took is my answer to your question.
Efficiency wise Barbaros TR3 is the closest one to r41.
Lupo 95 is the second close one to R41
Blackland Dart used in the right angle is the third close to R41
Blackland Blackbird paired with a Feather or KAI provides a close efficiency to R41
Timeless Aluminum is a very mild razor that requires at least two passes for a DFS+, not even close to R41. If you apply too much pressure you may change the efficiency but you run risk of irritatio of course.
Photo right to left: r41 - TR3 - Lupo.95 - Dart - Blackbird
Photo down Timeless alum

1676487535027.jpeg

View attachment 1599955

I'm a fan of the R41. It is not a beast. Why it is regarded as one escapes me.

I have the original and also the SS and also the London titanium. All are very good including the original. Yes, it has a head made of zamac, but it's very well made for a zamac head.

View attachment 1599956

Not that it matters to the shave, but the rose gold handle is beautiful.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think the "Beast" nickname (no pun intended), came from the 2011 version. I own both and there is a substantial feeling of risk when using the 2011 vs the 2013. The 2011 version is a nick machine IMO. Shaves can border on rough depending on blades used. The 2013 does not deserve the name "Beast" as it is a better behaving, easier to use improvement over the previous edition. I only use the 2011 R41 when I feel like a challenge or have a couple of days beard growth. Even then, a good shave prep is required or else.

The 2013 does not deserve the name "Beast" as it is a better behaving, easier to use improvement over the previous edition.

I think it is good to have someone like yourself to clarify this for others! While the R41 is a bit more aggressive than the R89, it certainly is not a "beast".

It is unfortunate when people shy away from an excellent razor design like the R41, based on a design that was changed a full decade ago. Really!

Maybe you can also clarify another point. There appears to be some buzz that there is still another revision made a few years ago.

I am only aware of the original 2011 design and its revision in 2013? Anything from 2013 forward is the same head, with the exception of the stainless steel model.

The original original R41 was a Fatip Piccolo OC until Mühle came up with their own take on the razor.

Guido
I use the Fatip Piccolo on occasion, Mk 1 and Mk 2, I prefer the Mk 1 shave. Blade exposure is similar to the 2011 Muhle R41, but I find it easier to use. Not sure where the Piccolo sits regarding aggressiveness, my guess is around and 8. Using the 2011 R41 as a 10 of course.

I use the Fatip Piccolo on occasion, Mk 1 and Mk 2, I prefer the Mk 1 shave. Blade exposure is similar to the 2011 Muhle R41, but I find it easier to use. Not sure where the Piccolo sits regarding aggressiveness, my guess is around and 8. Using the 2011 R41 as a 10 of course.
Yes, I think the Mk1 is the first R41. It is possible to replicate the experience somewhat by using a Fatip baseplate with an Old Type cap.

And the 2011 R41 is I believe the one clones used to produce theirs, which may explain the aggressive reports people mention when shaving with a clone. I have and it was very harsh. Bought the real thing (2013 model) and never looked back. There have been other gents who have seen changes to the 2013 model as well since 2022, but Mühle had not communicated that as a formal model change.

Guido

The original original R41 was a Fatip Piccolo OC until Mühle came up with their own take on the razor.

Guido
Hmm, while I have huge respect for you and your posts, my Fatip Piccolo and Muhle R41 have about as much in common as a Lemon and an Apple which both grow on a tree!

My personal R41 is more aggressive and likely to bite me. The Piccolo is almost as efficient but, is really forgiving and carefree in use for myself. Because the Piccolo is so much more nimble, I don't normally consider them similar razors. The different R41 heads over time though, do confuse things to a degree.

Hmm, while I have huge respect for you and your posts, my Fatip Piccolo and Muhle R41 have about as much in common as a Lemon and an Apple which both grow on a tree!

Because the Piccolo is so much more nimble, I don't normally consider them similar razors.

Oh don’t get me wrong: I am not saying they are the same! They are definitely not. And I couldn’t agree more regarding apples and limes.

No, all I wanted to point out is that Mühle first sold a razor labelled R41 which was a commissioned Piccolo by Fatip. There are still some NOS or NIB offers on the usual auction sites. This was the Fatip Mk1 by way, which is more aggressive than todays Fatip.

Over time the R41 became less aggressive in comparison to itself, but I think it is still one of the most unique razor designs with super effective shaves.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom