What's new

Stainless comparable to R41?

IMG_0369.JPG
My aggressive stainless: ATT H2 and SE2 v2
Aggressive non stainless: Executive Shaving Braveheart and Joris Open Comb. The Braveheart and Joris (pictured) rank high on my list.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I was going to say the ATT H1 as well though you might want to try your hand at some of the Feather Professional blade razors. The ATT SE1 is excellent and with the Feather Pro blades the extreme sharpness it gives in two passes what it normally takes three to attain from a de blade.

I was hooked on aggressive razors for the longest time and used the H1 plate just about every day for over a year before trying and preferring the Cobra, then the King Cobra, then the ATT SE1. I've since moved onto milder razors after finding that I wasn't really enjoying the shave from the ultra aggressive razors so much, but it was the resulting shave that kept me using them. After finding some milder razors that will give me the same close shave I've ventured in that direction.

If you're going to try the ATT razors they do have a 30 day money back policy, why not try the SE1 first and if you don't like it and would still rather have a traditional de razor, them move to the H1.

@dfoulk curious about which razors are less aggressive but equally efficient for you? I like efficient, but my ikon tech is at times too much for my skin

Graydog

Biblical Innards
After years of searching I have found "the one". For me it's the 2013 R41. Now that I know what I love I want to see if you guys know who makes a comparable razor in stainless steel. Are one of the ATT s? The Timeless? Basically does anyone make one that's similar? Thanks!

I would go Timeless, I have the open comb .95. I have shaved with many razors and I have not had a smoother and more efficient Razor. I have seen other R41 users rave about the shave they get with their Timeless .

I would go Timeless, I have the open comb .95. I have shaved with many razors and I have not had a smoother and more efficient Razor. I have seen other R41 users rave about the shave they get with their Timeless .
+1
I love my OC Timeless 0.95--smooth as silk yet gets the job done

Yeah, I went to the LA Shaving BBS-1 for a while before buying a Timeless .68 which is incredibly smooth and I'm getting perfect bbs shaves every time.

The BBS-1 is a really great razor but it's not as smooth as the Timeless.

I'm not going to say that the Timeless .68 is as efficient as an ATT H1 or even the Ikon Tech razor you're using (those are more in line with the .95 version) but it's much more efficient than it should be for this comfortable of a razor. I'm getting the most comfortable shaves of my life and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing in closeness at all. For me, it's outstanding and I'm reaching for it over a lot of razors that are selling for crazy stupid prices on the popular auction site.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
+1
I love my OC Timeless 0.95--smooth as silk yet gets the job done

Yeah, I went to the LA Shaving BBS-1 for a while before buying a Timeless .68 which is incredibly smooth and I'm getting perfect bbs shaves every time.

The BBS-1 is a really great razor but it's not as smooth as the Timeless.

I'm not going to say that the Timeless .68 is as efficient as an ATT H1 or even the Ikon Tech razor you're using (those are more in line with the .95 version) but it's much more efficient than it should be for this comfortable of a razor. I'm getting the most comfortable shaves of my life and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing in closeness at all. For me, it's outstanding and I'm reaching for it over a lot of razors that are selling for crazy stupid prices on the popular auction site.

Thanks much.

For me, the BBS-1 couldn’t get closer than DFS, so I stupidly sold it for a measly $10 profit on the stupid auction site. It would have appreciated had I held onto it.

The iKon Tech is the first and only razor that can get me a carefree BBS every time. There are some more aggressive razors – PAA DOC evo, for example – that shave me smoother but aren’t worth the blood price. It is much more efficient and much, much, more aggressive. Charcoal L3 OC tempts me, but I fear it would be the same as the PAA Doc evo.

Colonial General is nice, but not really appreciably closer than my Tech. Different, but not better.

All that being said, I am looking at the Asylum Rx (which I will get to try in a passaround box), the RR Wunderbar slant, and now the Timeless 0.95 OC. Is there any difference between OC and Scalloped?

I had the same issue with the BBS-1 and then one day it just clicked for me and I got perfect shaves from it from that point forward. I thought about getting rid of it early on as well but I'm glad that I hung onto it. Not for the appreciation as I won't sell it, but because I really like having it and enjoy using it.

I have the Asylum razor in the passaround (on another forum) at the moment and it's very aggressive. Maybe the most aggressive razor I've tried to date. For me to the point that I'm getting some irritation and I've shaved with a lot of aggressive razors over the years. I don't suspect that this razor would be more comfortable that what you're currently using. In fact likely the opposite. I'll be sending it on to the next user likely tomorrow.

With the Timeless, the SB plates are a little smoother but the scalloped and they the open comb provide a little more feedback. They are all great though and aren't a whole lot different.

I had the same issue with the BBS-1 and then one day it just clicked for me and I got perfect shaves from it from that point forward. I thought about getting rid of it early on as well but I'm glad that I hung onto it. Not for the appreciation as I won't sell it, but because I really like having it and enjoy using it.

I have the Asylum razor in the passaround (on another forum) at the moment and it's very aggressive. Maybe the most aggressive razor I've tried to date. For me to the point that I'm getting some irritation and I've shaved with a lot of aggressive razors over the years. I don't suspect that this razor would be more comfortable that what you're currently using. In fact likely the opposite. I'll be sending it on to the next user likely tomorrow.

With the Timeless, the SB plates are a little smoother but the scalloped and they the open comb provide a little more feedback. They are all great though and aren't a whole lot different.

Interesting. I acquired the Asylum RX on Saturday, and now have used it four times. I find it much milder and friendlier than the PAA DOC Evo, Charcoal Level 3 or Ikon Tech. Incredibly smooth and non-aggressive, unlike the three mentioned DEs. Everyone's different!

Interesting. I acquired the Asylum RX on Saturday, and now have used it four times. I find it much milder and friendlier than the PAA DOC Evo, Charcoal Level 3 or Ikon Tech. Incredibly smooth and non-aggressive, unlike the three mentioned DEs. Everyone's different!

Yeah, it's a beautiful razor though. I wish I got along with it a bit better as I like the machining a bit better than my other Feather Pro style razors. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Yeah, it's a beautiful razor though. I wish I got along with it a bit better as I like the machining a bit better than my other Feather Pro style razors. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

Different strokes for different folks! I cannot wait for my turn with the RX

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks, David. My other Feather AC razors are the current versions of the stainless Mongoose and Alumigoose. I need to bring them back out but, based on my memory, both the shave and the machining of the RX are better than my 'Geese.

Thanks, David. My other Feather AC razors are the current versions of the stainless Mongoose and Alumigoose. I need to bring them back out but, based on my memory, both the shave and the machining of the RX are better than my 'Geese.

Yeah, I sold the Mongoose I had. I would agree with you that the RX is much nicer.

I have the timeless 0.95 but not the bbs-1 or the ATT H2 or S2. The only thing that I would say compares to the R-41 is the Merkur Futur.

I realize that this is the DE section but two SE razors I find very efficient and user friendly, properly used, are the Henckels Rapide and CV Heljestrand razors from pre WW2. Originally wedge blade single edge razors, the post WW1 models also take the GEM blade perfectly and the CV Heljestrand had at least some made in stainless steel as I have two of them in that material as well as the same model in nickel plated brass. I have been able to find nothing admitting that the SS versions even exist but CV Heljestrand was one of the first to do stainless straight razors. A CVH used razor purchase could get you a brass one or a stainless one. The polished stainless version is a much bluer shade of polished silvery metal finish compared to the nickel plated brass version, closer to a chrome plated color. Both my SS ones look brand new after 70+ years, one of the nice things about stainless steel. Both makes are relatively uncommon razors compared to many and bring decent, though typically not obscene, prices compared to high end DE collector razors.

The very earliest models of both did not have lower blade stops and are difficult to use safely with anything other than the original wedge blades.

The R41 was my go to razor for about 3 years. Then I added a Fatip Piccolo to the rotation, not as agressive but a fine little shaver. I tried several slants and none of them made the cut. After reading lots of reviews I purchased a RR Wunderbar slant. It has taken over the number 1 slot in my rotation. My R41 and Piccolo are feeling neglected. The Wunderbar is a high quality stainless steel razor. I now can do 2 pass shaves with some touch up for a DFS. I would give one a try if you get a chance.

Top Bottom