What's new

Stainless comparable to R41?

After years of searching I have found "the one". For me it's the 2013 R41. Now that I know what I love I want to see if you guys know who makes a comparable razor in stainless steel. Are one of the ATT s? The Timeless? Basically does anyone make one that's similar? Thanks!

I was going to say the ATT H1 as well though you might want to try your hand at some of the Feather Professional blade razors. The ATT SE1 is excellent and with the Feather Pro blades the extreme sharpness it gives in two passes what it normally takes three to attain from a de blade.

I was hooked on aggressive razors for the longest time and used the H1 plate just about every day for over a year before trying and preferring the Cobra, then the King Cobra, then the ATT SE1. I've since moved onto milder razors after finding that I wasn't really enjoying the shave from the ultra aggressive razors so much, but it was the resulting shave that kept me using them. After finding some milder razors that will give me the same close shave I've ventured in that direction.

If you're going to try the ATT razors they do have a 30 day money back policy, why not try the SE1 first and if you don't like it and would still rather have a traditional de razor, them move to the H1.

The Timeless OC at .95 should be awfully close. I have the Timeless OC at .68 and find it to be the best razor I have encountered in over 50 years of shaving. It's that good.

There's an IKon razor that some often compare to the R41 in terms of aggressiveness, though I don't know which one it is. I'm not a huge Ikon fan so I don't really follow their offerings. I prefer the quality and predictable customer service from ATT over Ikon. The Timeless .95 razors are outstanding and I'd highly recommend them but they are not as aggressive as the H1 if that's what you're going for.

Ikon Tech or Charcoal Goods level 3. Not stainless but the only ones on par with the 41. The CG level 3 is my favorite of the three. The H2 and Timeless .95 are nice but not in the same club and I sold both.

Aggressive, schemessive:001_rolle the
I was going to say the ATT H1 as well though you might want to try your hand at some of the Feather Professional blade razors. The ATT SE1 is excellent and with the Feather Pro blades the extreme sharpness it gives in two passes what it normally takes three to attain from a de blade.

I was hooked on aggressive razors for the longest time and used the H1 plate just about every day for over a year before trying and preferring the Cobra, then the King Cobra, then the ATT SE1. I've since moved onto milder razors after finding that I wasn't really enjoying the shave from the ultra aggressive razors so much, but it was the resulting shave that kept me using them. After finding some milder razors that will give me the same close shave I've ventured in that direction.

If you're going to try the ATT razors they do have a 30 day money back policy, why not try the SE1 first and if you don't like it and would still rather have a traditional de razor, them move to the H1.

Something's wrong with the site. R41 gives me the smoothest closest shave of anything I've used, which is alot. that 30 day policy may be it. I have a mongoose and cant get a good first pass to save my life pulling, tugging, even with super pro. The 2nd and 3rd are fine. Its made me shy away from se. I would give another a shot though. Looks like ATT is the way to go either way.a real shame to because doofus looooooves the look of the Timeless.

Something's wrong with the site. R41 gives me the smoothest closest shave of anything I've used, which is alot. that 30 day policy may be it. I have a mongoose and cant get a good first pass to save my life pulling, tugging, even with super pro. The 2nd and 3rd are fine. Its made me shy away from se. I would give another a shot though. Looks like ATT is the way to go either way.a real shame to because doofus looooooves the look of the Timeless.

Yeah, I had a Batch Two Mongoose that I just sold recently. For me it wasn't on par with the King Cobra or the ATT SE1. I kept it around for a while and finally gave up on it. I didn't get the pulling or tugging from it myself, more of just not being as efficient as the other razors at my disposal. I would think initially that the pulling and tugging would be more an indication of technique and not so much the blade since any of those blades should cut right through anything you put in front of it. For me, the shaves were a bit milder and it required a bit more work on my part to attain the perfect shave. I even tried shimming it with some success, but all in all I shouldn't have to shim and expensive stainless steel razor for it to work for me, so maybe it was better suited for someone else. It was a nice razor though just not the right match for me.

Do keep the Timeless option open as it's an excellent choice. Sometimes aggressiveness isn't the only factor in getting an enjoyable perfect shave. At this point I'll trade a little aggressiveness for some comfort, even if it requires a little extra touch up on my part, as long as I can still get a perfect bbs shave.

Wet shaving is such a YMMV thing. I like the Mongoose and the ATT SE-1 very much with the SE-1 being a bit friendlier for me. By that I mean that I don't have to be as careful. With the Mongoose, like the Muhle R-41 2011, one false move ...... That is probably why my R-41 is in the box in the closet.

The Timeless @ 68mm, and at 95mm is just great. Different but either is great. I think I lean more to the 95, but I've been using the 68 more to decide whether to send the base plate back, and swap for a 95. I have another 10 days or so to be within the 30 day window. I have the OC in 95 and the bar guard in 68. So keep the two for variety sake, or send the 68 back and have both versions in the one blade gap ? Decisions, decisions.

If you just a one razor guy, I'd stick with the R41. But if you're like so many of the folks here and like some variety, get a slant and a SE. Then when you want to give your face a break, add a Timeless to the mix and you'll be set!

Enjoy your shaves!

Mike

After years of searching I have found "the one". For me it's the 2013 R41. Now that I know what I love I want to see if you guys know who makes a comparable razor in stainless steel. Are one of the ATT s? The Timeless? Basically does anyone make one that's similar? Thanks!
As far as stainless, I second the opinions on the ATT "H" base plates. But for non-stainless, and in terms of closest to the R41 - the FaTip open comb.

Concur that as far a stainless goes, the ATT H plates are the closest with the Rockwell 6S (#6 plate) not far behind.
My FaTip is well below those but the QC issues with that brand might have meant mine is not as aggressive as some have reported.

Get yourself an Parker Variant Adjustable and you can turn the dial all the way up to 11, and you can shave more aggressive than a R41. Remember this is a very wide blade gap and I'm sure Freddy Krueger will be happy to give you a big kiss, just remember to give him a big smile.
proxy.php

The Parker isn't stainless AFAIK and big blade gap is not the sole indicator of aggressiveness. My Shaveabuck Futur clone has a HUGE blade gap and it still doesn't shave as close or long lasting as a R41.

Personally I am in the same situation and I begun working on my own solution, but the project stalled because of lack of time.

My solution is to create a 3D model of R41 and then I will have it laser sintered in stainless steel. There are online companies to which you can upload the model and some time later receive a razor in your mail box.

There are many free programs for 3D-modelling. My favorite is OpenSCAD. I am using the nightly builds of OpenSCAD as they got very much improvements compared to the latest release.

The Parker isn't stainless AFAIK and big blade gap is not the sole indicator of aggressiveness. My Shaveabuck Futur clone has a HUGE blade gap and it still doesn't shave as close or long lasting as a R41.
Exactly this. I have a futur, progress, fatboy, slim, slant 37c, fatip grande, and many others, the way the r41 is setup it gives me my most comfortable, smooth shave.

The R41-13 was my favorite razor for quite awhile but I started worrying that I'd drop it, or it would not last so began looking at other options.
I ended up with an Ikon Tech and eventually found the right handle for it. I prefer it over the R41 now and am confident it will last a long time. It's not stainless and there has been some debate over it's actual material. Ikon lists it as aluminum.

Good luck in your search!

Ikon Tech or Charcoal Goods level 3. Not stainless but the only ones on par with the 41. The CG level 3 is my favorite of the three. The H2 and Timeless .95 are nice but not in the same club and I sold both.

These are two of my top four, which includes the R41 2011. The fourth, and the one that meets your needs, is the PAA DOC Evolution in stainless steel. Alongside the Charcoal Level 3, it's one of my two overall favorite DE razors.

Top Bottom