What's new

Stahly vs Merkur Progress

I began shaving with a DE Gillette using Gillette Blue Blades back the in old days (I'm 73). Always found the shave a bit rough so the styptic pencil was always within easy reach. Then, my Uncle introduced me to Wilkinson Super Sword Edge blades, made in England, and only available in hardware stores at that time. Shaving had just become a lot easier and more comfortable. My next step forward came when I received an ad for the Stahly razor. It was a DE razor with a large handle which contained a wind-up spring. The pitch was....you wind the handle and get about three minutes of vibration caused by a counterweight inside the handle. The head had 2 leaf springs in the head at each side and the idea was that the blade moved ever so slightly side to side so that it sliced through the beard. After all, you slide a knife through bread to slice it. You don't push it down through the loaf. Same principle here and I bought into it. The Stahly worked so well for me that it and the Wilkinson blades became my daily ritual. Alas, at some point, the spring gave up the ghost. About the same time, Gillette started sending every male in the USA a free cartridge razor. Very smart fellas at Gillette. They were in the blade business so they made a slight investment in handles and hooked me on the blades. Every time they came out with a new model, they sent me one! The decline in performance was so gradual, that it wash't noticeable. The Stahly was put in a drawer (I never throw anything away!)

Now, let's come to the present. Just for giggles, I Googled Stahly and found the information on repairing a Stahly razor, but more important, I found this Forum. Someone stated that the Stahly was no slouch as a razor even without the vibration. Hey, I knew I still had mine....but where? I finally found it and (I've posted this before here), decided to give it a try. The rest is history. I was amazed! What a great shave even without the vibration (I still had those Wilkinson blades packed away with the razor). Thanks to a member of this Forum, I found out where to obtain a NOS Stahly razor. I jumped at the opportunity and have been using it (with the vibration) for a few months now. Curiosity got to me, though. The Merkur Progress is a highly regarded state of the art razor made in Germany, where precision and quality go hand-in-hand and it's adjustable. Time to order a Merkur Progress.

I've been using the Merkur for the last two weeks. Here's what I've found (and this is just me. YMMV!) I did the comparison using Feather blades, Kiss My Face shaving cream, Prorasis pre-shave, FS badger silver tip brush, lathering in a Georgetown Pottery 20 oz scuttle. The Feather blade in each razor had already been used 1 time. This was the second time for each blade.

The Merkur scrapes my skin, even at the mildest setting. Over a period off time, there is some irritation (I shave in three passes...1 WTG, 1 XTG, and the last one ATG.) and you can feel the blade scraping the beard. I tried various settings of the razor and the mildest setting was the best for me, but it was still irritating. This morning, I went back to the Stahly. That ad in the 50's & 60's wasn't just hype. That sucker really works. No scraping whatsoever and an extremely comfortable shave even over the previously irritated areas of my neck. The shave was not quite as close as with the Merkur, but it's damned close and I've become less aggressive in the way I shave because of the irritation. I think after a few days of using the Stahly again, the resulting shave will be as close. I will also try some of the current Wilkinson offerings in a few weeks. For now though, my feeling is that I will be going back to using the Stahly as my everyday razor. It's very comfortable even without the vibration, but with the vibration, it gives a super comfortable shave. I'm interested top find out what other folks who may use a Stahly think.

I have a working Stahly that I've used a few times. My preferred razor is the Progress though. I haven't used the Stahly for a long time so now I'll have to dig it out and start a comparison. I must admit the vibration was a little much for my hand after the first pass though. But your post has made me curious again. Thanks for posting.

-- jtb

Interested to see what you find when you try it again. I will also compare them again using the Wilkinson blades, but right now, I've had two days in a row of the most comfortable shaves I've ever experienced.

OK, I finally opened the new pack of Wolkinson Sword Blades (these were made in Germany), put one in the Merkur Progress and tried it out at the mildest setting. Pretty darned good shave. Very little irritation and I think these blades are a better match for the Merkur Progress than the Feather blades I tried above. The next day, I used a Wilkinson in the Stahly. The Stahly was the hands down winner as far as smoothness and lack of irritation went. That was with the vibration working. I have to admit, I love the Stahly. I can easily irritate my skin with most razors, but this thing is very forgiving. You can hear the difference as it cuts through the beard...I know, it's sound is masked by the vibrating noise....but you can block that out and concentrate on the sound the blade makes as you shave. It's much quieter, and I believe that's because it slices through the whiskers rather than pulls though them. It's my choice for daily shaving.

Now, to add to the drama. While hunting for something else, I came across my three razors from the 50's (Did I mention that I never throw anything away? I may not be able to find it, but I never throw it away!) I now have a 1950's Gillette adjustable, a Gillette Slim and a Shick double edge razor. All three are soaking, but look to be in good shape. After I get them cleaned up, I will give them a try and see where they fit in for comfort and closeness. Stay tuned.

OK, I finally opened the new pack of Wolkinson Sword Blades (these were made in Germany), put one in the Merkur Progress and tried it out at the mildest setting. Pretty darned good shave. Very little irritation and I think these blades are a better match for the Merkur Progress than the Feather blades I tried above. The next day, I used a Wilkinson in the Stahly. The Stahly was the hands down winner as far as smoothness and lack of irritation went. That was with the vibration working. I have to admit, I love the Stahly. I can easily irritate my skin with most razors, but this thing is very forgiving. You can hear the difference as it cuts through the beard...I know, it's sound is masked by the vibrating noise....but you can block that out and concentrate on the sound the blade makes as you shave. It's much quieter, and I believe that's because it slices through the whiskers rather than pulls though them. It's my choice for daily shaving.

Now, to add to the drama. While hunting for something else, I came across my three razors from the 50's (Did I mention that I never throw anything away? I may not be able to find it, but I never throw it away!) I now have a 1950's Gillette adjustable, a Gillette Slim and a Shick double edge razor. All three are soaking, but look to be in good shape. After I get them cleaned up, I will give them a try and see where they fit in for comfort and closeness. Stay tuned.
I been using a Stahly for 4 years now, it is one of my top razor head design. The late great Bob/BRW said it was his fave razor and it made me curious so i bought one.

I just received a a Stahly for x-mas. Have not have a chance to shave with it. The vibration mechanism works but I'm not sure how well because I don't have another to compare to. Is the vibration very heavy or gentle?

I just received a a Stahly for x-mas. Have not have a chance to shave with it. The vibration mechanism works but I'm not sure how well because I don't have another to compare to. Is the vibration very heavy or gentle?

It is a noticeable but subtle vibe, much like the new Fusions. It will last 3 mins and is more of a novelty feature, i dont use the vibe setting.

I like the Stahly, vib on or vib off, but the thing I don't like is the size and weight of the handle is tiring to hold in my 77 year old hand.

I love the Gillette Slim!

The Schick DE razor is an outstanding mild razor. If it's too mild try shiming the blade. Let us know how you like the Slim and the Schick DE.

I will be trying the Gillette slim, and I find (I'm 74) that I hold the Stahly near the head so the weight of the handle isn't really a problem. With the Gillettes, I would imagine that the Gillette slim would shave like the adjustable in its middle setting (so you can adjust for more or less blade exposure), but I don't know yet if that's true. I've just found out that the Shick I have is a Krona, which supposedly is a very mild shaving razor. I guess I'll try that one next. Who would have thought that there's that much difference in the way these DE razors shave.

Last edited:
I tried out the Shick Krona razor this morning. I got an excellent close shave with no irritation...brand new Wilkinson blade. I could live with this razor. I find it milder acting, yet closer shaving than the Merkur Progress on its mildest setting. Surprising performance for a razor which can be found on eBay for very few bucks. It's not quite as smooth as the Stahly, but it clogs less and rinses out easier. Doesn't have the polished appearance of a vintage Gillette, Stahly, or Merkur, but its performance is very fine. For someone just starting out and on a budget, I could confidently recommend this razor. At this point, I would rate the three I've tried in order of my preference:
Stahly
Shick Krona
Merkur Progress

I think the Stahly is the coolest razor about, even if the handle is comically big. I'd love to have one on the counter just to make people do a double take when they see it. I must try one.

The Stahly is one of my favorite shaving razors, but I almost never use the original handle, and therefore don't use the vibration feature.

I've tried it on the EJ DE87 handle, on the Tradere handle, on an Ikon bulldog handle, and on a UFO custom Kaiser handle, and it is super smooth and efficient on all these; probably best on the Tradere or the EJ. It's definitely one of my top three or four razors.

I have a Progress that sits in a drawer. I haven't used it in months. I should probably sell it. It's a nice razor, but it can't compete with the Stahly, IMO.

Wow. I never realised that the guard is free to move horizontally relative to the blade.

$$T2eC16FHJG!FFm2Mec+TBSIi5sO7m!~~60_12.JPG

Or put another way, the blade is free to move horizontally relative to the face.
Compare this with modern vibrating razors where the blades are fixed relative to the strip/surround - meaning that the vibration does nothing if you apply any pressure at all.

Yep.

Its a a really cool head design. The allowance for movement makes the shave better even without the vibration, IMO.

It's a great head design, and I don't think it's a novelty at all. When you shave with it, try using it without the vibration and listen to the blade cut through the whiskers. Then, wind it up and listen again to the blade cutting through the whiskers. If my ears don't deceive me, there's a totally different sound and much less aggressive with the vibration on (and I don't think it's the noise of the vibration masking the shaving sound).

Top Bottom