What's new

St. Patrick's Day

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok . .. we are a day over Feb 14. For those of us who lived it might be time to prep for St. Patrick's day.

No . . . a whole bottle of olive oil. . . . na. Best take it easy.

Time to buy the brisket.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.

st-patricks-day-shamrocks-11.jpg

I don't know about that. I had a few of the Foreign Extra in Georgetown, Barbados, that I'll never forget.

I do need to get that brisket and get to corning.

I used to drink it back in UK, and on a memorable evening that I cannot remember in O'Donoghue's Bar in Dublin, but it's too heavy for me here. Sits like a weight in the guts.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bile it. Trow in carrots and pahdadoes.

DO buy the very freshest, sharpest, meanest horseradish though. Pile it on as high as the meat.

AA

There's much to be gained drinking a Guiness where it was born.
dave
I went to Dublin on a business trip, many years ago. I think it was the first time I had ever done such a thing, probably around 1987. The guy I was meeting was a regular at O'Donoghue's which is a pretty well-known bar in the St Stephen's Green area of the city and close to the company's offices. Three of us went there about 4.30pm, and as we walked in, Ciaran, for 'twas his name, raised his hand and waggled 3 fingers in the general direction of the bar. 3 pints sat waiting for us. We went to a table, took a slurp or two, and I noticed Ciaran doing the finger-waggling thing again. 3 more pints appeared.

This was repeated quite a few times. I lost count. I recall Ciaran dropping me at my hotel, but that's all...

On our honeymoon in Ireland, we went to a pub on our first night there.

We ordered a guinness each and after taking photos, we went to drink them.

Big mistake. The local next to us goes, "Jesus Christ no, you've got to let it sit".

...I was adamant that I didn't want to look like a tourist. Totally went to plan :001_rolle:clover:

I'm the designated soda bread maker for the dinners we got to. I'm looking forward to two days of corned beef and cabbage.

Last edited:
Corned beef=yes, cabbage=no; cabbage has its place on the table but it's not next to corned beef IMHO. Corned beef gets a garnish of boiled root vegetables in my household. And some beans.
As for Guinness in the tropics - I agree. It doesn't work. I was just in Aruba and even very cold it wasn't appropriate for the weather. And that was the proper Export Extra. OTOH I found some nice bocks that were perfect.

Top Bottom