What's new

St Johns West Indies Bay Company

Greetings gents,

My newest acquisition just arrived today from the US Virgin Islands but I was too excited to wait until tomorrow to try it and too eager to write about it this weekend so here goes. I basically just got out of the shower, finished shaving, and am literally drying off as I type this.

I will preface this by stating I am very very happy user of the T&H product line (namely West Indian Limes) and think it’s one of the best all around men’s toiletry product on the market today and I will continue buying and using it in the future. However, over the last few days I have been obsessing for a new lime scent be it just lime, West Indian Lime, lemon-lime etc, as the scent is my favorite. I wanted to be a little bit adventurous and daring so I really tried to find something different that I have not seen mentioned here i.e. Trumpers etc…

My research took me to various websites and different product lines until I decided upon one, the St. Johns Bay Rum Company. St. Johns is a product line of the West Indies Bay Company in St. Thomas USVI; it has a variety of scents our members can certainly appreciate. Here is a web link for you all to peruse at your convenience: http://stjohnsbayrum.com/

After reading through the information, I was hooked and decided to give their Lime scent a shot. I then proceeded to look at their other scents and made a determination that this would be a good time to purchase something different (Bay Rum which I have NEVER tried) as well and I did. I opted to try the Bay Rum just based on this simple explanation of their Bay Rum product. “Of all the varieties of Bay trees, the most exquisite is found in St. John. The purity of the air and the evenness of climate make the fragrance of the Bay trees of St. John stand out in the beautiful marriage of orange peel, pimiento and other exotic spices. "The word 'ST. JOHNS' on BAY RUM is like 'Sterling' on Silverware. It stands for the best in the world. This superiority is due to a special quality of the leaves of the Bay trees (Pimenta Acris), which grow on the island of St. John, and in no other part of the world." - Encyclopedia Britannica. That was enough to convince me, what about you?

Well, to make a long story short, tonight I shaved with Coates lime shaving cream and then used St. Johns lime after shave balm and cologne and all I can say is WOW AND that I UNEQUIVOCALLY recommend this product for all you lime lovers out their! In many ways, it is very similar to T&H WIL but in another way it has its’ own key lime type smell. With the spring and summer quickly coming upon us I earnestly feel lime lovers should get a hold of this product, you WILL NOT regret it trust me!

I will give a report on my Bay Rum experience tomorrow but already I love their spray cologne, it is delicious! I would love to hear other’s experience with St. Johns if you have tried it in the past. I know it will be a part of my permanent rotation.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe -

How about the "staying power" of these two colognes? Limes is normally almost non-existant in an hour.

Bay Rum is all over the map - but I'm still curious!

HlSheppard said:
Joe -

How about the "staying power" of these two colognes? Limes is normally almost non-existant in an hour.

Howard,

Good question, and this is what I am going to do. I will spray myself tonight with the Lime cologne and see if it is still with me in the morning. As for the Bay Rum, I will put that on for my a/s balm and cologne around 0700 and go from there to see how long it lasts. That should give me a good idea but so far the a/s balm (lime) is still with me and strong after a few hours. I will certainly let you know either way.

Joe

Wow! This stuff sounds really good. I think I'm with roughrider though and going to go for some samples first. Is there anyone out there who can compare St. Johns to the Dominica line-up? I'd be interested to know how they stack up to one another.

-Rusty

Well, I woke up this morning and the smell of lime was not there, but to be fair I am going to do another test with the lime scent when I get home around 1430 to get a better reading, in retrospect my intial study was a little bit silly.

I did not shave this AM but I still used the Bay Rum cologne spray around 0700, it started fading around 1100 or so. I still get a faint touch of it but by no means it is still with me 100%. I still do like the scent and am really excited to try out their Bay Rum a/s balm after I shave tonight. I will certainly let you know what I discover.

I encourage you to try the samples, I could not believe how quickly my stuff came, the turnaround was like 4 days.

Cheers,

Joe

HlSheppard said:
Joe -

Howard et all,

Both scents seem to last at least for 4 hours, around the 3 1/2 hour it starts to disappear ever so slightly. Either way I really think lime lovers will really go nuts for this scent. I can't speak for the Bay Rum as it is my first time ever trying it but again I reiterate I like it and will surely use it again. I am curious to now try the Dominica Bay Rum and Lime as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, is the Lime more soft and subtle, or is it more "sharp" ?? reading the description on their website, it sounds like they add some woody notes to it ... does it smell pretty close to a true Lime essence?

Also, are their colognes all spray?

djr7572 said:
Joe, is the Lime more soft and subtle, or is it more "sharp" ?? reading the description on their website, it sounds like they add some woody notes to it ... does it smell pretty close to a true Lime essence?

Also, are their colognes all spray?

Great question, and I will try to answer as best I can. I would have to say it is very close to a true lime essence but then again I can also pick up a subtle star anise/clove scent. It is VERY CLOSE to T&H (have you tried T&H?) but I think it has a bit more limey scent to it than T&H. Are you familiar with key lime? For me it is very similar to that. I have the aftershave balm and after shave (8 oz.), and the spray cologne (which comes in 4 oz. spray bottle). I love them all and will definitely be getting some more when it runs out.

I also have the Bay Rum aftershave balm and cologne spray but not the liquid aftershave. I also like this scent but I can't compare it to other Bay Rum scents since it is the first one I have tried. It smells a lot like egg nog believe it or not (according to my wife) and gingerbread cookies to my 3 year old if that gives you some idea! FYI, I again put on the Bay Rum this morning around 0645 and it is still going pretty strong, now 1030. I highly recommend them both if you are interested.

Best,

Joe

Joe, have you tried the Island Spice?? I just got my samples in the mail and Island Spice was the first one I tried. GREAT scent! Masculine, invigorating ... a bit reminiscent of a tropical island. I have still have a few more to try out before I choose one ... Bay Rum, Lime, Cutlas, Indian Gold.

I'm definately liking the Island Spice! :)

djr7572 said:
Joe, have you tried the Island Spice?? I just got my samples in the mail and Island Spice was the first one I tried. GREAT scent! Masculine, invigorating ... a bit reminiscent of a tropical island. I have still have a few more to try out before I choose one ... Bay Rum, Lime, Cutlas, Indian Gold.

I'm definately liking the Island Spice! :)

Great DJ, I did not try the Island Spice but please do let us know about it and the other scents. Did you get cologne, aftershave, balm etc??

Take care,

Joe

Hey Joe,

The Island Spice is very delightful. It also seems to be the longest-lasting of ALL the St. Johns colognes. There's a review at basenotes.com saying that the Island Spice was short-lived .... I know colognes and lasting power is different on everyone, but I found it to be the longest-lasting of the whole lineup. Definately spicy, very invigorating ... makes you feel like you're on vacation :thumbup1:

it's a nice masculine scent ... It's my favorite in the lineup! I think it's offered in both a splash and a spray, which is nice. If I were to pick one, I'd go with Island Spice. The Lime was very nice but it lasted about as long as the Trumper West Indian Lime .... in fact, if you can believe it, the St. Johns didn't even last as long as Trumpers (less than 5 minutes :huh:)

- Dave

djr7572 said:
Hey Joe,

The Island Spice is very delightful. It also seems to be the longest-lasting of ALL the St. Johns colognes. There's a review at basenotes.com saying that the Island Spice was short-lived .... I know colognes and lasting power is different on everyone, but I found it to be the longest-lasting of the whole lineup. Definately spicy, very invigorating ... makes you feel like you're on vacation :thumbup1:

it's a nice masculine scent ... It's my favorite in the lineup! I think it's offered in both a splash and a spray, which is nice. If I were to pick one, I'd go with Island Spice. The Lime was very nice but it lasted about as long as the Trumper West Indian Lime .... in fact, if you can believe it, the St. Johns didn't even last as long as Trumpers (less than 5 minutes :huh:)

- Dave

Very interesting, as you point out, this just shows how in fact various scents react to different people. I have had the same thing happen to me with a few other scents. For instance, when I apply Creed GIT it only lasts an hour or so on me while on my good friend it lasts forever, it is really bizarre. I really cannot comment on the Trumpers West Indian Limes since I have never tried it but I have found that my T&H and St. Johns Bay last a few hours but don't get me wrong, I would prefer that they last a lot longer. I have some Caswell-Massey Lime on order and it should be here in a few more days, I will certainly match that against the two as well.

I will give the Island Spice a shot, what did you think of the other scents? Did you like the Bay Rum? Their aftershave balm in Bay Rum is out of this world.

Best,

Joe

farangzookzon said:
Very interesting, as you point out, this just shows how in fact various scents react to different people. I have had the same thing happen to me with a few other scents. For instance, when I apply Creed GIT it only lasts an hour or so on me while on my good friend it lasts forever, it is really bizarre. I really cannot comment on the Trumpers West Indian Limes since I have never tried it but I have found that my T&H and St. Johns Bay last a few hours but don't get me wrong, I would prefer that they last a lot longer. I have some Caswell-Massey Lime on order and it should be here in a few more days, I will certainly match that against the two as well.

I will give the Island Spice a shot, what did you think of the other scents? Did you like the Bay Rum? Their aftershave balm in Bay Rum is out of this world.

Best,

Joe

I DID like the other scents, but Island Spice was truly the standout of the bunch. I liked them all, it was just a very short-lived experience. Kinda like fireworks. Bay Rum was fantastic - but again, gone within minutes. I might have to break down and get a bottle of Island Spice. Hmm ... splash or spray?

- Dave

Top Bottom